Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: Hunted (Charlotte)  (Read 515 times)

Finny Morgenstern

(08/09/2016 at 19:12)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
  • ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Late afternoon
Entrance to the Mines

Hours had passed since they had fled the woods of Lothlórien. It already felt like it hadn't happened at all, like it had just been a dream he'd had while sleeping in. It was real though, and he wore a clear reminder of the events; two pointy elf ears, courtesy of Rin, poorly hidden below his hair. It didn't hurt, in fact, it wasn't even bothersome in the slightest, he didn't feel the difference unless he traced the shape with his fingers. It was deeply embarrassing though; he was a proud dwarf, and if there was one thing dwarves shouldn't have it was going to be elf ears. Even worse, he was concerned about anyone asking him about them - That was the smartest thing about Rin's punishment, she had effectively marked him as a target to his own counselors.

Nina had assured him that transfiguration wore off after a while and wasn't permanent, so he had attempted to stay out until his ears went back to normal. After all, he lacked the knowledge and abilities required to undo it himself, so waiting was all he could do until this went away. After more than half a day of aimlessly wandering around, hunger and thirst were starting to grow, so he had reluctantly made the return trip to the part of camp where he belonged.

He told himself that he'd be fine, that his decently long hair did an alright job of covering up the evidence. How often did people look at anyones ears anyway? If he were lucky they wouldn't even see it. Deep down he knew it wasn't likely to go unnoticed, it was really obvious.

The plan was to get something to eat and have a quick drink, then hide out in the lower years cabins. He didn't even get past the big friendly doors though, there was somebody right outside. Why now, at a time where he really was not interested in seeing anybody?

He headed straight for the entrance, attempting not to draw attention. A conversation was the last thing he was looking for right now. Especially a conversation with a camp counselor, and it looked like the door was guarded by Charlotte today. His stomach dropped, and he increased his pace ever so slightly. Still, it wasn't like he could completely ignore her. So while he really meant to say 'Please leave me alone', he greeted her in a friendly manner.

"Hello."
THUNDER,  FEEL  THE  THUNDER
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Charlotte Sinclair

(08/21/2016 at 03:17)
  • Falmouth Falcons & English National Chaser
  • C13D7T7S7
    • View Profile
Charley was at her customary post near the entrance to the Mines. She hadn't sprawled out on a beach towel as she so often did, but her face was, as ever, turned up to the sun, soaking in its rays. She leaned lazily against the doors, arms crossed and one knee bent, foot propped up against the very center of the massive stone slabs.

There was no getting past her; no one would be able to access the Mines without her say-so.

"Hello."

Fortunately, Charley Sinclair was by nature as sunny as a California day, and her lips stretched into an easy grin when Finny came to a stop in front of her. "Heya, Finn," she greeted the younger boy, regarding him from behind a pair of round white sunglasses. She took a step forward, intending to wave him through the gates, but—

Charley flipped her sunglasses up onto her head, and leaned closer to peer intently at Summers. Was that—were those—?

"Finn, I don't know how to tell you this—" She wasn't sure whether she ought to be amused, sympathetic, or disapproving. Maybe a little of all three. "—but your ears are looking a little... well, pointy." She gestured to the side of his head for emphasis. "Rather like an elf."

Finny Morgenstern

(08/21/2016 at 15:16)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
"Heya, Finn."

He tried to stroll through the door as if nothing was out of the ordinary, but he didn't get past her. She didn't leave him alone after her exchanging greetings, and Finny had to stand still. It seemed to take forever, but he knew what was happening. She had noticed, and was going to point it out.

"Rather like an elf."

That was exactly what he did not want to hear. It would have been convenient if she hadn't made the connection between pointy ears and elves, but it was just too obvious for anyone not to get it.

"Huh, what?" He raised his hand, and gently brushed his hair off to the side as he traced the shape with his fingers. It was still there, unchanged. "Oh right. I know!"

There was a slight pause as he figured out how he would explain this; whether he should confess the truth or make up a new reason. Obviously it had to be the second, but maybe he could delay the lies. An awkward chuckle followed. "It's a long story. I was at the tree forts, Rin did that. I guess that makes me a rather strange dwarf though, huh."

Maybe he could use this in his advantage. At this point, he was willing to try. "You could undo it, if you want."
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Charlotte Sinclair

(08/27/2016 at 00:30)
  • C13D7T7S7
    • View Profile
"Oh right. I know!"

Charley's eyebrows arched, her interest peaked. This had to be good.

"It's a long story. I was at the tree forts, Rin did that. I guess that makes me a rather strange dwarf though, huh."

"Strange? Yeah, I'd say," she said, nodding in agreement. There was most definitely something fishy about all of this, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. She suspected Finny was leaving something out. Why in the world would Rin give the kid elf ears? And what had he been doing there in the first place?

"You could undo it, if you want."

Charley tapped a finger against her chin, as if considering. "Yanno, I could do that..." She crossed her arms over her chest, trying to look stern. Finny wasn't in any trouble—at least not from her; Charley wasn't exactly a believer in discipline. She was curious, though, and if playing the part of counselor would get to the bottom of this, she'd do what she had to. "But I'm a big fan of long stories. Why don't you tell me what happened?" She put a hand on the younger boy's shoulder. "All of it."

Finny Morgenstern

(08/27/2016 at 23:17)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
All of it. She made herself very clear, yet she was not going to get the entire truth. Half of it at most, and that was generous for Finny's doing. If she wanted the other half, she would have to go out and get it from Rin herself. Because while Charlotte was trying to look stern, Finny was trying to figure out if he could lie to her - and his answer was yes.

"I woke up early this morning to meet up with Nina. You know her, she's a Gryffindor. And then we got the idea of climbing the trees over there."

He spoke softly and slowly, giving himself more time to prepare his words. So far so good. He was getting awkwardly conscious about the presence of the wand hidden away in his pocket though; knowing that it was strange to bring it along if he had really gone climbing. A fall from a tree could easily have broken both him and his wand. He tapped the pocket to confirm it was still there and continued on, convincing himself that it wasn't that obvious.

"We were making a bit of noise though. Maybe a bit much. And then Rin showed up, she told us to stop; that she'd do this if we didn't get down and go away."

It didn't seem too far-fetched to him, as it still involved them being a nuisance around the elven cabins. Perhaps not enough to warrant using them for transfiguration practice, but it was certainly less bad than telling her he had been using magic at summer camp.

"I told her she wouldn't, because I thought she was kidding. She wasn't!"
.--,   
\ '`\
 `\  '---,
  |        \
 / /---,  \  
 "'     /_/
THIS POST BEARS THE ORIGINAL FINNIAN SEAL OF QUALITY.
Please note that the original finnian seal of quality does not
equal guaranteed quality, because it is in fact a sea lion.

Charlotte Sinclair

(08/31/2016 at 21:02)
  • C13D7T7S7
    • View Profile
"I woke up early this morning to meet up with Nina. You know her, she's a Gryffindor. And then we got the idea of climbing the trees over there."

"Yup, I know Nina," Charley interjected, paying stricter attention to Finny's words than she was ever inclined to do in class. She considering sliding her sunglasses back onto her nose—it'd be harder for him to read her expression, then, which was more intrigued than steely—but thought better of it. He was starting to fidget a bit, and it was easier to track his movements this way.

She didn't miss the way his hand drifted to his pocket, or the telltale outline of what could only be a stick—or a wand.

"I told her she wouldn't, because I thought she was kidding. She wasn't!"

"I never knew Rin was so strict!" she said once he'd finished, as though she were more sympathetic to his plight than disapproving of his misbehavior (and truthfully, she was—as long as he hadn't hurt anyone, Charley was unlikely to take offense to a little troublemaking).

After a beat, as though it had only just occurred to her, she pointed to Finn's pocket and added, "Whatcha got there?"

Finny Morgenstern

(09/01/2016 at 21:53)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
To his surprise, Charlotte didn't ask further questions about what had happened that morning, after they had their encounter with Rin. Instead, she seemed to end with a statement - then asked about something else entirely.

"Whatcha got there?"

She had caught on already, he could tell. His checking for his wand hadn't even been a fully conscious action, and if she were watching him so closely that she could tell he was hiding something from her then it had to mean that she was suspicious.

"That's my wand," he stated matter-of-factly, as if his keeping a wand on him had nothing to do with the story he was telling. "I like to have it nearby, I'm really paranoid about losing it. It might just be the most valuable object I own."

He wasn't telling her lies anymore, his magic wand was precious, one of the few things he could truly claim as his own. It wasn't easily replaced, with the connection it held to him - and there was no way he would be able to afford a new one either.

Finally his facial expression changed to show some mild concern. "We're still allowed to carry them, right?"
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Tags: