Don't forget to sign up for a cabin!

Author Topic: Knock knock (Lucas)  (Read 767 times)

Finny Morgenstern

(08/07/2016 at 20:44)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
  • ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Early evening, second week of camp
Upper year boy's cabin

There were still a few hours left before curfew, and Finny was not going to let them go to waste. The weather outside was cloudy but the temperatures were very pleasant, so he would hurry and try to enjoy it while he could - after all, by ten he would have to be back inside. It was why he was running through the tunnels, up and down the stairs, looking for someone, anyone to join him.

He couldn't find them anywhere. Not Zak, not Circe, they seemed to have vanished without a trace. More than likely they were already outside, and that meant that his odds of finding them were pretty much nonexistent.

There was one final hope, one room he hadn't yet been to. Right near his own cabin was the one that belonged to the older boys, and if he were lucky, he could find Adam again, perhaps he would agree to go outside. Arriving at its door he stopped running, his heart still going, shoulders rising and falling in rhythm with his chest in a desperate dance for air. Finny took a few seconds, just to catch his breath. Three, two, one,

A tap on the door, followed by another. A pair of hidden pointy ears refused to listen for an answer; he already held the doorknob in his other hand and pushed it away from him.

The left side of the room was empty, as was the middle. On the right was a person that was definitely not his swordfighting buddy, looking rather disturbed. Finny smiled at them, and gave a little shrug. "Oh, excuse me. Do you know where Adam went?"
THUNDER,  FEEL  THE  THUNDER
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Lucas St. Oswald

(08/07/2016 at 21:59)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
While everyone else was outside playing and enjoying themselves, Lucas was once again holed up in his dorm and studying. There was a large stack of large, leather-bound books beside his bed that ranged from "Wizarding Britain History" to "Mastering the Dark Arts". Currently, Lucas was reading the largest and most boring-looking of all of his books on the Goblin rebellions. The author had somehow managed to turn a multi-species war that had always been described as "bloody and vicious" into a very dry and mundane topic. Even Lucas, who usually enjoyed studying, was finding it hard to stay awake. Lucas was so close to falling asleep that the knock on the door barely even registered. It wasn't until a chipper voice woke Lucas from his stupor that he even looked up from his book. In front of Lucas was a young-looking boy who was smiling at Lucas.

"Oh, excuse me. Do you know where Adam went?"

Lucas raised an eyebrow and looked at the boy with an austere expression, "You know, it is rather rude to barge into someone else's room and not even introduce yourself first." Lucas had no time for interruptions these days, but they seemed to be becoming more and more frequent. He was agitated that this boy had just welcomed himself in and immediately began interrogating Lucas as though he had nothing else to do. Still, Lucas didn't want to be completely rude to this boy if he was a friend of Adam's. He gave his word that he'd be a better friend to Adam and throwing out one of his friends didn't seem like the best idea.

"However, I suppose I shall let it slide just this once," he said, as he finally rose from his bed and glided over to the boy with poise and grace. Lucas always unintentionally attempted to act more mature than he really was around the younger students. His speech became crisper, his posture became more rigid and militant, and he attempted to use big words at every moment possible, "Unfortunately, Mr. Carlisle is currently out and about, enjoying a day of merriment and frivolity, for some inexplicable reason. If you wish, you may sit quietly and wait for his return." Lucas paused for a moment before reluctantly adding, "May I ask what this is regarding? Perhaps instead of waiting for Mr. Carlisle, I can assist you with your inquiry?"

Finny Morgenstern

(08/09/2016 at 21:40)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
The young man reminded him of the time when blood status badges were everyday objects, back when it was easy to tell who was what. They didn't need them now, not if he was going to act like this; he was pretty much the definition of a pureblood, radiating a sort of dominance and superiority over anyone that they believed below them. He acted way more mature than Adam so Finny felt bad for his friend, that they had to share a room; that couldn't be pleasant. Honestly it was strange they hadn't picked this one for a camp counselor, as he also had that natural authoritative vibe about him; he fit the stereotype of a pureblood through and through. And Finny, he would proudly show his muggleborn status, this time not through a bright red badge, but through the way he talked.

"Gotcha."

Heck, he wasn't the sorting hat, but Finny would even go as far as to assume that this student belonged in Slytherin. 'Sit quietly', was his suggestion. Clearly the older boy was unaware who he was. Finny straightened up, dropped his arms to his side, and took a smooth step backwards so that he could look at the other without needing to look straight up. It gave him an uneasy feeling, one that brought him back to his days in the orphanage - it was the kind of attentive posture that was expected of him when he was being commanded around or lectured. It was all for the effect.

"My name is Finny Summers sir, I am an acquaintance of Adam." He wasn't nearly as good at this as the older boy was, but it didn't stop him from trying. "I was trying to schedule an enjoyable arrangement with the good man, inquire if he would come play with me, if you will. I guess I shall be taking my leave."

He would drop the tone but kept the pose, since the whole point of this was to break the young man's stiff manners rather than anger him, and after bursting into this room, insulting him was the last thing he needed to be doing. "Unless you'll be my company? What were you reading?"
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Lucas St. Oswald

(08/11/2016 at 01:13)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
"My name is Finny Summers sir, I am an acquaintance of Adam. I was trying to schedule an enjoyable arrangement with the good man, inquire if he would come play with me, if you will. "

"Ah, pleasure to meet you, Mr. Summers. Any acquaintance of Adam is an acquaintance of mine," Lucas said, mellowing out just a bit, but still maintaining his professional demeanor. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Lucas Theodore Marion Clarington-DuPont the Third, future Chairman of DuPont Industries in America."

Lucas gave the boy a small, genuine smile as he introduced himself. It wasn't the usual smug look of superiority that Lucas usually had when talking about his future endeavors. Lucas had actually started to take a bit of a shine to this boy. He certainly seemed to be a well-mannered, well-adjusted young man, if a bit informal. Lucas didn't even realize it, but Finny's cheerfulness and positivity were infectious and making Lucas feel more relaxed as he spoke with the boy.

"What were you reading?"

"Oh that?" He glanced over at the abandoned book on his bed. Merely looking at it filled him with dread. "Oh it's a - um - fascinating book on the Goblin rebell- excuse me... rebellions of the 16th century." Lucas said unconvincingly as he attempted and failed to stifle a yawn while speaking. Even stick-in-the-mud Lucas couldn't make the dreadful tome sound exciting. Lucas covered his mouth as he yawned again, "Forgive me, I have no idea what has come over me..." Lucas said, finding it embarrassing that this boy had not only seen him sleeping when he was supposed to be studying, but now his yawns made it very obvious how bored he had been while reading the book.

"Unless you'll be my company?"

It took Lucas a few seconds to register the question. A look of shock passed his face and his eyes momentarily lit up like a child's at Christmastime. Completely flusterted, Lucas attempted to stammer out a response, "I - me? Do you mean - I mean - um ... I have studying and - well, you see - what I mean to say is - " The question had caught Lucas completely off guard. For the first time in a while, words completely failed the pompous, talkative boy. He had never been asked to play with someone. Even back at Salem, Lucas never really associated with any of the other students and not many of them ever dared to approach the son of a wealthy business tycoon. And now, at Hogwarts, he had always thought he was above childish horseplay. But now that someone actually asked him... Lucas was slightly intrigued, especially considering the alternative was sitting alone in his dorm, bored to tears reading about filthy Goblins.

Finally, Lucas somewhat regained his composure and attempted to play off how flustered he was by asking in a more even voice, "Um... that is, what did you have in mind, Mr. Summers?"

Finny Morgenstern

(08/14/2016 at 22:40)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
It was a little strange, being addressed as Mr. Summers. It was not the first time it happened, as Eira occasionally called him that as well, but never unironically; there was always that undertone implying that it was used only because it sounded cute. "You can call me Finny, sir, that would be fine." After all, he would be calling the other by his first name as well, if he were allowed. "And may I just call you Lucas?" It was just too long. Half of it was already forgotten, and the other half he couldn't easily pronounce. Why couldn't some people just pick one first and one last name?

Still, for someone with such a name and ambitions to lead a company, he seemed surprisingly friendly. There was that formal side, but he was showing personality; which was a good sign, because Finny had no idea how much longer he could keep up the well-mannered child act. He was standing here, talking to an older student as if they were a respected adult, when all he wanted to do was to run out the door and waste his energy outside.

There was also the temptation to change plans and stay inside with Lucas; he knew nothing about goblin wars, and curiosity made him want to learn about them. They could study together, but he feared that reading an entire book about such a subject would turn out to be quite boring. Lucas' unenthusiastic tone only confirmed those suspicions - the young man appeared to be almost asleep after reading from that book, and judging it by its cover, it was not even intended for use as a source for bedtime stories.

"Um... that is, what did you have in mind, Mr. Summers?"

"Well, the studies could wait until another day. It is summer after all, the weather is very nice, so maybe we could go outside." He gave a little nod toward the books. There were mountains, fields and forests outside, it was hard to imagine that anyone would want to stare at words when they could be enjoying the amazing views that this summer camp had to offer. "And then, uhm.."

It was difficult to entertain two people at once. He had no idea what this stranger liked, apart from old history books and showing off his social status. So after a second or two of silence, Finny simply took a wild guess as to what they could do, assuming that Lucas would present a better idea if he had any. "There's a few big trees nearby, maybe we could make a treehouse. Have you climbed trees before?" He almost stated that Lucas didn't look like he had, but realised just in time that it would have been a quick way to lose respect from somebody like them. He quickly transformed the beginning of his sentence into a cheerful smile, eagerly awaiting an answer.
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Lucas St. Oswald

(08/16/2016 at 23:15)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
"You can call me Finny, sir, that would be fine. And may I just call you Lucas?"

Lucas thought it over for a moment before saying in a matter-of-fact tone, "When you ask so politely, of course, Mr. S- rather, Finny." Lucas quickly correctly himself and hastily covered up his near faux pas with a small smile. Lucas generally tried to be overtly formal at all times, especially in front of the younger students that he wanted to impress, but he was willing to make an exception just this once since this boy was so polite and had even asked Lucas to join him.

"Well, the studies could wait until another day. It is summer after all, the weather is very nice, so maybe we could go outside."

Lucas looked back at the book, clearly torn. He thought the idea of playing around and having fun was childish, but at the same time, Lucas was utterly exhausted and was looking for any reason to just get away from his studies. His head had been throbbing for the past few hours, he was having trouble even staying awake during this conversation and he wasn't retaining any information anyway. Lucas finally convinced himself that maybe going outside for some fresh air would do him some good. Lucas hesitantly nodded and let Finny proceed.

"And then, uhm... There's a few big trees nearby, maybe we could make a treehouse. Have you climbed trees before?"

"Um... that sounds rather dangerous for a young boy like yourself, don't you think?" Lucas said apprehensively, attempting to mask his fear of heights with concern for Finny's well-being. Still, Lucas couldn't think of a better alternative. He wasn't even sure he really wanted to have fun or play with this boy. He really just wanted to get out of the dorm and was using Finny as an excuse to do so. He tried thinking up some other activity that he wouldn't have to put as much effort into, "Um... what would you saying to being pirates and searching for buried treasure or being medieval knights that are on a quest to slay the evil dragon?" Lucas felt ridiculous just saying it, but if it got him out of his dorm and away from the dreadful tomes that were currently crushing his bed, he was willing to say or do anything. At least playing pretend would be much safer than climbing trees since all the danger would just be made up anyway.

Still, Lucas couldn't believe he was actually agreeing to to play such childish games with this little kid and was even more surprised at himself for suggesting pretend play. A future entrepreneur had better things to do than parade around as a swashbuckling hero. The only reason Lucas even entertained the idea of goofing off with Finny was just to get some fresh air and rejuvenate his mind for studying. Ever since Finny woke him up, Lucas had been fighting back against a throbbing headache that was getting worse the longer he stood in that stuffy dorm room. He wasn't sure how much stepping outside and running around would alleviate the pain, but he couldn't think clearly enough to think of a rebuttal or an excuse. Plus, Lucas figured Finny wouldn't even end up having any fun with him and would just get bored in a bit. Despite his naturally dramatic and theatrical personality, Lucas never really considered himself a storyteller or an actor and doubted he could narrate their "adventures" together in a way that would satisfy Finny or convince him that Lucas was having fun.  But Lucas was willing to give it his best shot if it meant he could get rid of the splitting pain in his head.

Finny Morgenstern

(08/21/2016 at 14:22)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
Perhaps this wouldn't be as easy as asking Lucas to run along with him. He was hesitant to leave this room, it was easy to tell by the way he looked at his boring studying material. It wasn't entirely unexpected, Lucas had consistently shown him his mature attitude from the moment he barged through the door. And after that hesitation, the response to his question wasn't a surprise either.

"Um... that sounds rather dangerous for a young boy like yourself, don't you think?"

It was still a bit disappointing that Lucas didn't at least confess to having climbed things himself when he were younger. Finny would simply assume that he hadn't. He almost asked if Lucas was implying that the climbing of trees was an activity for adults only, considering he had implied it to be too dangerous for a younger person, but changed his mind just before he opened his mouth, reminding himself that his good manners had been appreciated up until now; it would be disappointing to put himself on Lucas' bad side after all of that. Still, he had to disagree.  "I would be alright, I've done it before. You learn rather quickly that not falling is a good way of not getting hurt." It was true that there was some risk to climbing, but having fallen a few times in the past, Finny knew very well where he could and shouldn't go. Being careful helped, as did confidence. And even if he did fall down, there was always someone nearby that was familiar with the magic required to heal a bruise or two. It wasn't really a big deal. A little insulted, he crossed his arms, and shook his head. "But alright, no treehouse today then."

Almost as insulting was Lucas' suggested activity. While playing pretend wasn't entirely out of the ordinary for Finny - he had spent an entire afternoon sword fighting with Adam - Lucas managed to make it sound rather childish. But even this strange plan was tempting. It was a good way to get to know Lucas better, to find out if this stiff businessman was capable of having fun. And it could even be exciting, because with the things he had seen at this camp so far, he wouldn't be surprised if there was an actual dragon somewhere out there. This was the perfect time to go looking for it - pretending to seek a dragon was a great way to find a real one. Not that he would suggest the existence of one to Lucas; real dragons were definitely considered to be even more dangerous than trees. "Dragons..." Finny let out a chuckle that grew to a laugh. "Come on then! I can already her the princess screaming!"
.--,   
\ '`\
 `\  '---,
  |        \
 / /---,  \  
 "'     /_/
THIS POST BEARS THE ORIGINAL FINNIAN SEAL OF QUALITY.
Please note that the original finnian seal of quality does not
equal guaranteed quality, because it is in fact a sea lion.

Lucas St. Oswald

(08/24/2016 at 02:56)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
"I would be alright, I've done it before. You learn rather quickly that not falling is a good way of not getting hurt. But alright, no treehouse today then."

Lucas silently breathed a sigh of relief. At least that was one less dangerous thing on the list.

"Dragons... Come on then! I can already her the princess screaming!"

Lucas gave Finny a half-hearted smile as the boundless bundle of energy agreed with the idea of slaying dragons. He sauntered towards the door, stealing one last nervous glance towards the pile of books on his bed before turning away and swiftly walking out the door. He was ashamed of himself for disobeying Father's wishes, but he just couldn't take the silence of the room and the boring pages of his enormous textbooks for another minute. Lucas needed this break from studying desperately.

Lucas took a deep breath as he stepped outside into the fresh, crisp summer air. It was a beautiful day... There wasn't a cloud in the sky as the sun shined brightly above them. There was a light, cool breeze that completely refreshed Lucas. Within a few moments, his headache had completely cleared up and he felt like an entirely new person, ready to tackle the books once more... He glanced at Finny. It made him feel uncomfortable thinking about ditching this boy just moments after they stepped outside. Perhaps the studying could wait a little bit longer? Lucas almost felt like he owed it to the boy to play along with his silly games for a few minutes considering Finny was the one who suggested this wondrous break.

"Right well ... um... Sir Finny ... the Lionhearted," Lucas said in an unsure voice as he attempted to act in his best impression of a knight. Lucas made it a point to speak in a deeper, confident voice. "Um... The princess, yes! We must save her! We shall... um... follow the fair maiden's screams!" Despite his experience with being a 'Knight of Immaculate Blood', Lucas was clearly struggling to act the part of a brave, noble medieval knight. He felt positively silly doing it, but Lucas began jogging around, thinking about where to take their story next.

Lucas wracked his brain trying to think of something else to say as he ran around with Finny like an idiot... He tried thinking back to some of the books he read on medieval times, but they were all almost as dry as his book on the Goblin Wars. As they approached a small cliff that was only about ten feet high, Lucas got a ridiculous idea.

He silently chastised for thinking of such an idiotic thing, but turned back to Finny anyway and said, "Zounds! 'Tis the um... Mountain of Treachery! Sir Finny, come hither! We must traverse this perilous cliff lest we not reach the fair princess until morrow!" Lucas haphazardly scrambled up the face of the cliff. Despite only having a few steps before he could touch the top of the cliff, Lucas still struggled with it for a few moments before reaching the top and pulling himself up. Lucas smiled in spite of himself. By making the adventure as real as possible, incorporating the terrain on the fly, Lucas was inadvertently able to immerse himself a bit more into this imaginary world of knights and dragons. When he spoke next, Lucas sounded more confident and more like a knight, even sporting a passable Old English accent.

He picked up two large sticks nearby and threw one of them to Finny, "Prithee, thou must be vigilant, Sir Finny. The dragon is nigh... I can sense the foul beast's presence. Verily, we must go. We shalt vanquish this foe and send the beast back from whence it came!"

And with that, Lucas rushed off once again, jogging as though there were actually a princess in danger. It had definitely been over a few minutes, but Lucas didn't exactly care. He was too involved in the story to turn back now. He ran around the camp, brandishing his "sword" and gesticulating wildly to Finny as he created a character for himself. In this story, he was Sir Lucas the Serpent-tongued, slayer of dragons. He hailed from DuPontland and his sword was named Excelsior. It was those little details that Lucas loved coming up with to really sell their adventure to Finny and make it all the more real. Suddenly, Lucas spotted something and froze, becoming oddly silent and grave-looking. He drew his sword silently and began creeping forward.

Lucas pointed up ahead at a small cave. "That cove over yonder..." Lucas breathed as he stared in awe at the sight up ahead. He imagined it as a grandiose, ominous-looking cavern. "'Tis the Daemon's Grotto. The beast and our distressed damsel lie tither..." Lucas took a deep breath before turning to his comrade in arms and giving him a confident smirk.

"No beast can match the wit and courage of brave Sir Finny the Lionhearted and  cunning Sir Lucas the Serpent-tongued! Keep thine sword at hand, Sir Finny. Danger could be lurking at any corner!" Lucas was now fully enveloped in his own story as he held his "sword" aloft and marched into the cave, making sure to duck slightly. A big smile was plastered on his face and he plunged into the "depths", unafraid. For once in his life, Lucas was actually enjoying himself.

Finny Morgenstern

(08/25/2016 at 21:58)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
At first, Finny did not know how to react to Lucas' odd way of expressing himself. This way of storytelling was unusual to say the least; it was almost as if he were reading a story to him, and was getting carried away by doing voices and accents. He wasn't going to tell him how silly it was though; he couldn't, if this was how Lucas liked to have his adventures, then who was he to tell him to stop? After a short while, Finny didn't even mind this way of exploring anymore. He was absolutely loving it. Sir Finny the Lionhearted and Sir Clarington the Wise on a quest to reach their princess, it was a great story, and he had to know how it ended. Who would have guessed that this young man, that he would normally have left alone, was so much fun to be around?

When the wall of rock first caught his eye, Finny was convinced that this would be the end of their trip outside. Minutes ago he had been told that climbing was too dangerous for young students like him, and with no obvious way around he expected Lucas to give up and end his story on a cliffhanger. Much to his surprise, that was not what happened. His eyes lit up as he answered, already searching for an easy path to the top. "Very well. We shall ascend to the summit and resume our journey." He was not able to pull off the dialect that Sir Clarington spoke in, so he didn't really try - he only made sure he was convincing enough not to make his friend break character. "Onwards, then!"

Finny carefully placed his hands up high, and started climbing. It was different from climbing trees, there was not much to hold on to, and once he was against the wall it was hard to tell what the easy path was. The cliff wasn't very high though, so it still only took a short while before he was hanging from the ledge, and a bit longer before his feet were back on the ground.

Before he could even look around a stick was thrown at him, and he caught it without thinking twice. He then swung it around a few times, listening to the satisfying sound it made while slicing through thin air. "A fine sword. The monster shall not even have time to flee."

Being shorter than Lucas meant that Finny had to run to keep up, which wasn't much of a problem in the beginning, but as time passed it was taking more and more effort. Just as he was going to suggest slowing down in case their footsteps were alerting the dragon of their presence, Lucas stopped, and so did Finny, completely out of breath. As a result he took a little longer to notice the cave, only seeing it when it was pointed out to him; a small opening, covered in moss and hidden behind shrubs and hanging roots. Large enough to walk into, small enough to not give away what lay within.

Of course he followed his company into the opening. He was Sir Finny the Lionhearted after all, he was the bravest knight in all of Wizarding Britain. But not really. It was just his normal amount of bravery, slightly exaggerated for the sake of this story. It was merely an act, and the cave made him hesitate. It was dark, and to be honest it looked a little scary. It wasn't at all the kind of cave where a dragon could hoard gold, which was good because these sticks weren't sharpened and couldn't channel his magic like a wand would either. It was essentially useless as a weapon, and a dragon would definitely win a fight if there was going to be one.

It was a good thing this place was too narrow for a dragon to live in, they were only going to find one if the cavern opened up further ahead - it would be pitch black in there though, and there was no way to tell how far this hole went. Normally Finny would have used a lumos charm to brighten up the surroundings, but his wand was left behind in the cabin, as using it wasn't allowed anyway. "L- Sir Clarington, is this a safe passageway? I would like to remind you that I should be back by nightfall, and we cannot see the stars from here."

Lucas was definitely getting carried away here. Already the light was thinning out, and Finny could barely see where he was setting down his feet. He pointed his stick in front of him as if he were blind, hoping that it would find any obstacles before he did; the last thing he wanted was to fall down on the wet and muddy ground.

Finally he broke character, spooked out by the thoughts in his mind, which included getting lost underground and being roasted in dragon fire. It was irrational and he knew it, but the moment he believed his ears caught a noise was the moment he chose to let Lucas know that he wasn't comfortable with this anymore.

"Shh. Did you hear that?"
LIGHTNING AND THE  
THUNDER

Lucas St. Oswald

(08/26/2016 at 16:34)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
"L- Sir Clarington, is this a safe passageway? I would like to remind you that I should be back by nightfall, and we cannot see the stars from here."

"Onward, brave Sir Finny!" Lucas cried, oblivious to Finny's very real concerns. It was very hard to see in the little cave and Lucas tripped more than a few times. Unfortunately, however, Lucas had become engrossed in a tale of his own creation and the normally cowardly and stuffy Lucas Clarington-DuPont had morphed into the foolishly brave and idiotic Sir Clarington the Wise who fancied himself an infallible Knight of the Round Table. Any other time, Lucas would have been the first to turn back and just pick the safe option. Now, unfortunately, it was as though Lucas was an entirely different person who almost believed he was a strong knight instead of a weak, spineless yuppie with no actual life experience. It never registered in Lucas' brain that the danger was, in fact, becoming much more real and the risk of injury in this creepy and dark cave was a real concern.

"Shh. Did you hear that?"

Lucas heard it too and flinched horribly as the concern in Finny's voice managed to immediately snap him back to reality. As Lucas slowly registered exactly what had just transpired, he realized fully for the first time that they were in the middle of a deep, dark cave that could be housing any number of dangerous creatures. Lucas instinctively stepped behind Finny and cowered slightly, his fear of darkness finally kicking in and causing him to slowly start panicking. And yet, although he couldn't exactly make out Finny's face anymore, the normally cheerful boy's concern made Lucas think twice about his ridiculous actions. Finny was just barely a second year while Lucas was entering his seventh year and he was the one hiding? Lucas took a deep breath... he was, unfortunately, the adult in this situation. He had gotten poor Finny into it and needed to get him out now.

"Okay... um..." Lucas said in a forcibly even tone with panic still evident in his voice. "Finny, ju-just tak-take my hand and stay close to me. I'll lead us back out." Somehow. Lucas held out his hand for Finny and began thinking of what to do next. Lucas hadn't even realized which way they'd gone in or if they'd even gone in a straight path. He decided the best tactic would be to turn around and hope there weren't any detours. As he began walking slowly in the opposite direction, he used the useless stick in his other hand as a makeshift guide cane to feel around for bumps in the ground and feel around the walls to see if there were any other openings. Lucas consciously breathed in and out, trying to remain calm so that Finny wouldn't worry. After what seemed like forever, Lucas finally saw a glint of light up ahead and could finally see Finny alongside him.

"Just a bit more, mind your step," Lucas said, becoming more and more confident as the light from the cave's mouth shined brighter with each step they took. Finally, in no time, they were back in the safety of the forest. Lucas released his iron grip on Finny's hand for a moment and looked the boy over. "Do- do you need to go to the infirmary? Are you injured?" Lucas asked in a surprisingly concerned tone. For once, he was actually stepping up and acting like a proper adult instead of just being a wet blanket. After making sure Finny was okay, Lucas once again returned to his usual, formal self.

"It was a mistake to allow myself to be so irresponsible. I do apologize for my behavior tonight." Lucas said in a serious, but almost dejected voice. "You could have been seriously injured because of my carelessness." The irony was that Lucas had actually begun enjoying himself and really wanted to continue playing with Finny. Unfortunately, however, he just didn't know when to stop. He was consumed by the world he created and let it cloud his judgement. It was no way for a future businessman to act...

"Perhaps I should just escort you back to your dorm..." Lucas hung his head in shame. He was one of the oldest kids at camp and should have known better. He was ashamed at how recklessly he acted and felt it was best to end the "playdate" before anything else went wrong.

Finny Morgenstern

(08/28/2016 at 22:07)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
He wasn't sure what he'd heard. It sounded like some kind of shuffling, something moving im the distance. And if Lucas had heard it as well, it had to mean they were not alone in here. Maybe there was a dragon after all, or they might also have adventured right into a bear's home. It was probably something sillier, like a colony of bats, but Finny wasn't going to stick around to find out.

He had at least succesfully gotten through to Lucas, who was no longer being a brave, foolish knight, but had gone right into a regular student that found themselves way out of their comfort zone. He could sense the panic; the uncertainty in his voice. For the first time he could properly relate himself to his company, as he too was pretty anxious about the whole situation - they needed to get out, and quick.

So he took Lucas' hand, silently following along. Finny wanted to be brave for him, to speak up and take the lead instead, guide him out of the dark hole they found themselves in. He couldn't, it was too comfortable to hide in the safety of the older boy's shadow, to let them tackle the issue at hand. It was a result of the maturity he had seen earlier that evening, it had not yet been forgotten. Because while Finny was definitely brave, and would have been perfectly able to find the exit on his own, it would feel strange to act braver than someone older than himself and attempt to convince them that this was actually okay. It wasn't.

The forest was calming, as it always was. And now he found out it was especially relieving to see it again after being able to see nothing at all. The closer they got to the exit the more he wanted to run past Lucas and back into the outside world. He could hear the leaves waving in the wind, the birds singing songs that welcomed them back. He looked at Lucas, but instead of joy he found a look of concern.

"Do- do you need to go to the infirmary? Are you injured?"

Finny had seen more than enough Healers in the past; he would rather turn right around and walk back into that cave than visit an infirmary. He looked shocked for a moment that Lucas had even suggested it, then shook his head. "I'm fine."

It was there again, that wall of formality that Finny had kicked so hard attempting to get it down. It was back in the form of Lucas' apology, so sincere that it was almost awkward. He would dismiss it right away, hoping that he could at least cheer him up again. He liked Lucas better when he was cheerful. "It's fine, we had fun! Though maybe next time we should just do some studying instead."

He stabbed his stick in the mud, smiled at Lucas, and looked around to see which way to go. He hadn't noticed until now but this was an entirely different entrance to the cave than the one they had gone in, which was okay - he could clearly see the mountain from here, so the mines would be easy to find. At any reasonable pace they could be back well before curfew.

"Yes please. It's that way, come on!"
.--,   
\ '`\
 `\  '---,
  |        \
 / /---,  \  
 "'     /_/
THIS POST BEARS THE ORIGINAL FINNIAN SEAL OF QUALITY.
Please note that the original finnian seal of quality does not
equal guaranteed quality, because it is in fact a sea lion.

Lucas St. Oswald

(08/29/2016 at 22:42)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
"It's fine, we had fun! Though maybe next time we should just do some studying instead."

Lucas smirked slightly at the excitable boy. He supposed, at least Finny had fun for a little bit before Lucas got too carried away and got them lost in a cave. Perhaps, Lucas thought, he just wasn't meant to be the adventurous type that goes off and plays outside. Perhaps he was better off just focusing on his studies. It was a slightly bittersweet realization. On one hand, Lucas always knew that horsing around just wasn't his style and that he was more comfortable with just shutting him self away and studying... At the same time, his brief stint as a medieval knight was actually quite fun and it was something Lucas would enjoy doing if he could limit how far he went with it. Still, Lucas couldn't help thinking that it was his final year at Hogwarts and he needed to focus on studying if he wanted to make Father proud. So maybe it was a blessing in disguise that he was much better at studying than playing.

Even though his brain was turning and silently debating with itself, Lucas continued smiling at the young boy and said simply, "I look forward to it, Finny. Studying is one of my strong suits." He figured Finny was just being nice and really didn't have any interest in studying with Lucas, but appreciated the offer all the same.

Lucas warily looked over Finny to make sure he wasn't bruised or needed any sort of medical attention. He seemed to reject Lucas' offer to take him to the infirmary too quickly and Lucas wondered if he should take the boy over there anyway just in case there was something wrong and Finny was just putting on a brave face. However, it was getting late, so Lucas decided not to press the subject. He seemed to be fine, anyway, besides having been shook up by the scare at the cave.

"Yes please. It's that way, come on!"

Lucas nodded and let Finny lead the way this time, letting their roles naturally revert back to Finny being the brave Gryffindor leading the way back to the dorms and Lucas back to the cowardly, self-involved Slytherin. Still, Lucas kept a watchful eye on Finny as he followed closely behind him. Even if they were out of the cave, there was enough danger around this close to curfew that Finny could get hurt if he wasn't careful. Lucas still felt he was responsible for the boy's safety until they reached the cabins, especially considering it was his foolishness that got them into this situation in the first place.

The trip back to the dorms was, thankfully, uneventful and they managed to arrive back well before sunset. Lucas breathed a sigh of relief as they reached Finny's dorm in the Mines. His was not too far away. The adventure had been fun, but also dangerous in Lucas' opinion. They could have gotten seriously hurt or hopelessly lost in the cave. Lucas didn't know what came over him, but he was ashamed of how he acted.

"Well, here we are," Lucas said curtly before adding in a robotic, rehearsed tone. "Even though it didn't go quite as planned, I'd like to thank you for a wonderful time, Finny." He was being overtly formal again, treating Finny as though he was one of his father's rich guests that invited him over for tea. Fortunately, this time, Lucas caught himself. He knew Finny didn't care for formalities and tried to revise his statement in a much softer tone, "Um... what I mean is, I had a lot of fun today and I'm glad you convinced me to take a break from studying. " He smiled genuinely at Finny, for once, and clasped a hand gently on his shoulder. "I really mean it... thanks."

Lucas withdrew his hand and then said, "Well... it's getting late. I-I'd better go." He waved his hand slightly and said, "I'll see you around!" before turning around and heading off to his own dorm with a small smile on his face.

Finny Morgenstern

(09/01/2016 at 22:22)
  • Gryffindor '54
  • C11D6T6S12
    • View Profile
It was a good thing they didn't run into anything interesting on their way back, because he was fairly certain that it wasn't much longer until curfew. It was a relief to be back at the mines, without getting in trouble for staying out too long - that was inevitable, but it would not happen today.

For a moment it appeared that Lucas had completely reverted to the person he had found sitting with a large book in a stuffy room, but this time he seemed to be aware of it himself. It made Finny smile, this new, more personal tone meant that something had changed between the two of them. They had gone from complete strangers to friendly acquaintances in just a few hours, and if Finny were honest, he'd see that as perfectly worth wandering into a dark cave for.

"No problem. It was amazing!"

He hoped Lucas would remember to go studying with him, because if he managed to get as carried away with reading as Lucas had with adventuring, then he would probably learn a lot more than he would on his own. But that would have to wait until a later date - unlike his new friend, Finny was not inclined to go studying during summer camp.

Finny turned around as well, heading into his dorm to get some much needed sleep, saying his goodbyes as he stepped through the door.

"Good night, Lucas!"

end

Tags: