Vote for Player of the Summer now!

Author Topic: Pretending | Adrian  (Read 445 times)

Caitlin McLeod

(04/21/2016 at 18:54)
  • Gryffindor '52
  • C13D6T8S7
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions ['45-'46] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
How anyone could get it in their mind that assigning her the night shift was a good idea, Caitlin didn't know. Not that she complained – much – as this gave her an excuse to be out and about, but quite frankly, she also felt left alone with the job. It wasn't like she had that much experience with... anything infirmary related, honestly – except on the receiving end of the treatment.
Injuries, sure. Those she could handle... more or less. She had a lot of personal experience after all. But who would come in her in the middle of the night with an injury? No, chances were if anyone would turn up, it would be because they were sick.

The keyword here being if.

Would it hurt if she took a quick walk? It meant deserting her post, sure, but how likely was it that anyone would show up anyway? And there was still the mystery of the black and white area to solve. Maybe she could just do something here? Yes, that should work.

Caitlin quietly walked over to her bag and pulled out some of the various items she had a habit of carrying around. While normally just a random collection of things that caught her attention (or that she was too lazy to clean up), these were rather specific, meant for a single task. Or experiment, if you so will.

Paint and brushes in hand, she looked for a good spot to start, but she almost immediately put them down again when she heard footsteps. Was it possible that she had a visitor after all?
“By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.” The Gryffindor turned around with a grin, although she tried her best not to look too amused, considering she might well have a real patient on her hands here. Some compassion seemed in order, but it was hard not to grin, try as she might.

“How can I help you?”
Well, maybe it would be better to ask if she could help, but that wasn't likely to inspire any confidence in her skill or calm whoever thought it necessary to come out here at night. As tempting as it sometimes was, messing with (prospective) patients was not appropriate in any way, and not what she had signed up for.

GRYFFINDOR
Glory Roars

#033 McLeod

* Adrian Alric

(04/22/2016 at 01:51)
  • Translator for Gringotts + Model
  • C9D15T11S7
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
It sounded like as good a plan as any he could think of to avoid counselor patrols during the late hours after curfew. The night was becoming the haven of Adrian Alric, as his introverted personality brought him down a path full of quirks and irrationality. The current one manifested was his rejection of the summer housing quarters, which had him sharing a barn filled with several key undesirables who he needed to avoid if he wanted to feel at peace.

It had not occurred to him yet to question his own motivations, which was ironic considering how quickly he was at questioning others. Tonight, his plan was too feign a sickness and find sleep in the infirmary. Adrian did not think it would be too difficult to fake his way through some virus (Even if he was truly terrible at lying). He had been sick before and could act in such a fashion if it would mean a good night's sleep against possible pranksters who could glue him to his mattress.

The infirmary was desolate, absent any staff or patients safe for the single Gryffindor girl he recognized instantly. Adrian's interactions with Caitlin always seemed to end up fiery, one way or another. He marked it off to the girl's sort into the her house and the nature's they seemed to attract. It was interesting that she had been the first person he had spoken to at the castle, a confused and ignorant child (this being, just a year earlier of course) who had decided the empty table was a far better choice than the full ones with less prideful colors.

“How can I help you?”

"Oh good evening, Caitlin," he greeted her lightly, faintly smiling through the meek candlelight that illuminated the room. "Is evening accurate? Who decided to make English so complicated."

It was then that he decided to fake a loud cough, appearing to haphazardly cover his mouth as he did so. Luckily, he had not bridged the space between them yet so the girl would have no worry "catch" anything. Once he finished, he looked up and sagged his shoulders in his attempt to appear sickly.

"I worry I might be growing ill. I thought it best to try and isolate myself here so I do not infect any of my bunk mates in case I am in fact coming down with something." It was the best excuse he could think of. He had to marvel at how natural it sounded, with only five mental rehearsals to practice it. His impulse to sneer was held back and he bowed his head to girl.

It did not feel good to lie, so hiding his face was the best thing he could think to do as he waited for what she had to say.
Funny, how I'm nervous still
I've always been the easy kill
I guess I always will

Caitlin McLeod

(05/04/2016 at 16:30)
  • Gryffindor '52
  • C13D6T8S7
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions ['49-'50] Quidditch Champions ['45-'46] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
"Is evening accurate? Who decided to make English so complicated."

Now that she turned, she recognized the familiar figure. Adrian Alric, Ravenclaw (soon to be) third year and involved in more conflicts than most other people she knew, which was quite a feat considering her circle of acquaintances.
“That would be the English.” Caitlin grinned, now more openly.
“As for your other question... it would mostly depend on your definition of evening. As it is usually defined though – the transition between the end of day and the beginning of night – I would say it isn't quite accurate anymore. Maybe something along the lines of early night?”

Adrian should know her better than to ask a question like that when he really didn't care for an answer, so there was no reason for her to hold back. And, after all, this was exactly the kind of completely hypothetical discussion that Caitlin enjoyed immensely. Possibly too much, now that she thought about it.

That was when Adrian coughed though, and Caitlin's grin turned into a worried frown in an instant. She knew literally nothing about sickness. In the few moments it took Adrian to explain the situation, Caitlin did her best to fight the rising panic. She was far too preoccupied to notice the small inconsistencies.
“Oh dear... I hope it's nothing serious? Good thinking though.” Of course it was. He was a Ravenclaw. What did she expect? “We should...”

Right. What should they do? Run for the next best counselor. That would be the smart thing to do. But not necessarily an action that inspired confidence. Get Adrian to bed... that sounded just about right. That was what you were supposed when you were sick, right? Get some rest, keep warm... that kind of thing.
“... get you to bed right away.” Maybe she could look up the symptoms while he rested a bit? Surely that would help her decide what to do?

Caitlin's eyes flicked back and forth between Adrian and a small pile of books she had gathered together just in case something like this actually happened. The things she did when bored... and it was good she had.
Try as she might, the Gryffindor couldn't quiet the nagging doubts. What if this was something serious? Sure, it didn't seem all that serious, but who was she to tell? She had no idea what she was doing, did she? She swallowed, but continued to try and keep a straight face. It would not do for Adrian to see how nervous she was.

“Right... let's find you a bed.” It should be easy, really. The infirmary was empty but for the two of them. “Um... how are you feeling? What exactly is troubling you? Aside from that cough, I mean.”
She had to figure something out, and fast. And for that, she needed all the information she could get.

[OoC: Sorry. I know this is late and if you want to cut it short, I completely understand.]

GRYFFINDOR
Glory Roars

#033 McLeod

* Adrian Alric

(05/07/2016 at 14:25)
  • Translator for Gringotts + Model
  • C9D15T11S7
  • ['49-'50] Duelling Finalist ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
It almost knocked him off-kilter on how easy it had been. Adrian kept his head bowed as she paused mid-sentence, keeping one eye looking up at the bottom half of Caitlin's leg to see where she would move so he could follow. He let out a small cough once more before she continued. Once she did, he could not hold back the smile.

If this went well enough, he figured he would try again with different staff so he could get a good night's sleep. Adrian swiftly made an about-face, turning to look at which bed he would choose. He remembered he needed to appear sickly so took slow, groaning steps towards the bed as Caitlin began to inquire deeper into his lie.

"I have not gotten any congestion. I have a cough and a headache, with my throat being," he paused as he could not help but hop on the bed with a stupid grin still on his face. He shook his shoulders to get comfortable, placing his hands behind his head to act as a firmer pillow before he met the girl's nurturing gaze. 'Right, she believes me to be ill,' he reminded himself before moving his hands to cover an exaggerated cough.

"-being," he repeated, " tight and sore. I contracted a similar illness before. Besides hot tea with lemon and some sleep, I do not know what else I might require." He was unsure how long he could play this out. Adrian hoped she would relieve him to his slumber and leave him alone, but started to suspect he choose the wrong person to hoodwink. Caitlin was the living virtue of her house; she might risk her own health to try and make him feel better.

That would be the worst case scenario.
Funny, how I'm nervous still
I've always been the easy kill
I guess I always will

Tags: