Don't forget to sign up for a cabin!

Author Topic: Soaring to New Heights (Adam)  (Read 429 times)

Lucas St. Oswald

(12/07/2015 at 20:52)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
Lucas had been ignoring all attempts to persuade him to join camp activities. He hated everyone and everything about the camp, including the frigid winter weather in the middle of summer. Adam was being especially annoying and trying to get Lucas to join the Quidditch team. Normally, some sort of competition would be enough to get Lucas out and about, but Lucas didn't want everyone knowing he still couldn't ride a broom.

It wasn't that he was too dumb to ride a broom, Lucas was just terrified at the thought of even riding a broomstick. And it wasn't so much the broomstick as it was the heights. First years at Salem had a mandatory flying lesson, but Lucas was so scared that he persuaded Father to waive the requirement and never learned how to ride since.

But today was different. Lucas had been all ready to rebuff yet another attempt by Adam to get him involved in some silly activity, but Adam let slip that there was going to be a surprise waiting for Lucas at the Quidditch Pitch. Lucas supposed he would grace the camp with his presence if it meant getting a gift.

Lucas carefully selected some of his warmest clothing and made sure his hair was perfectly gelled before going out into the cold in his fashionable wool overcoat. He plodded through the snow down to the Quidditch Pitch "This had better be worth it..." he thought.

Lucas finally arrived at the Quidditch Pitch and saw Adam standing there with brooms nearby. Lucas looked around for the surprise Adam promised and saw nothing.

"Where's my - ?" Lucas began in a demanding tone before realizing why Adam had lured him down to the Quidditch Pitch. Lucas was extremely naive, but even he was unable to ignore the evidence that this was just another ploy to get him to play Quidditch.

Lucas immediately turned around and attempted to run back to the campgrounds, but slipped on some ice and fell into a large pile of snow. He attempted to clamor out of his snowy entombment to no avail. Every time he tried to stand, he slipped on the ice again and was unable to get a solid footing. Perhaps dress shoes weren't the best attire for a frozen wasteland.

While attempting and failing to get as far away from the Quidditch Pitch as possible he desperately yelled at Adam, "No! You can't make me join! I don't want to play Quidditch!" He sounded exactly like a little child refusing to be fed broccoli.

* Adam Carlisle

(12/29/2015 at 14:35)
  • Gryffindor '49
  • C7D9T7S7
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Adam was trying to get to know Lucas.

So far, his impression of the other boy was that he needed to get more exercise. Adam had not been all that fit when they had the snowball fight, but he had been able to run and not look like he was about to pass out. After learning that Lucas did not play quidditch, he thought that would be a good opportunity. Get Lucas out on the field, teach him some basics, and maybe they would see if there was something (other than Oliver), that they had in common.

As he watched Lucas attempt to stand on slippery ice, the idea that they may have something in common, was slowly starting to dwindle. Adam was an optimist surely, and he was willing to be friends with anyone, but Lucas was quiet different than to what he was used to. He stood there for a moment, wondering how long it would take for Lucas to calm down, before he finally decided to have mercy on the smaller boy. Sometimes all it took was some level headed words and people calmed down.

"My mother says tantrums aren't for big boys."

Which is something she always told his eight year old brother, and it seemed to work. He grabbed Lucas by his hand, pulling him up and then throwing the smaller boy over his shoulder as he headed back towards the pitch. "It's not going to kill you to get on the broom, and toss around the quaffle is it?"

That was all he was asking for really.

Lucas St. Oswald

(01/01/2016 at 22:47)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
It seemed as though anytime he and Adam met up, Lucas always ended up needing some sort of assistance. It was starting to get annoying because Lucas hated others, especially Adam, seeing him in such a vulnerable position. Lucas continued to struggle despite his impossible situation in an attempt to show Adam that he could get himself out of a compromising position, but didn't even manage to get into a stable position.

"My mother says tantrums aren't for big boys."

The moment Lucas heard Adam's low, even-tempered voice, he calmed down immediately. There was something about Adam's voice that got through to Lucas. It was authoritative but gentle at the same time, almost like ... a mother. Lucas stopped frantically trying to escape and got himself into a sitting position. Then Lucas thought about what Adam said... tantrums were for little kids, not a fifteen-year-old. He faced Adam with a shameful look and nodded. He was right, Lucas wasn't acting like a dignified Pureblood and Father would be furious if he saw Lucas acting like this.

No one had ever been able to calm Lucas down as efficiently as Adam just did. Lucas even allowed Adam to help him up and throw him over his shoulder like a helpless child. Lucas was beginning to wonder what sort of power this boy held over him that allowed him to control Lucas and make him feel so vulnerable.

"It's not going to kill you to get on the broom, and toss around the quaffle is it?"

"But it will!" Lucas insisted. "Nanny Helga told me that I would break every bone in my body if I fell off a broom! And that the Bludgers would smash my head in! And that it was a terrible sport where it's impossible to not get injured!" No matter how much he tried to deny it, Lucas was a coward. He stayed away from any situation where there was even a chance of him getting hurt. "I'm not going to smash my face in just to satisfy your obsession with getting me onto a broom."

Lucas then became uncharacteristically quiet and looked at Adam with big, innocent eyes. "And I'm ... scared, Adam. Of heights..." Lucas said in a desperate whisper. Lucas hated this feeling of vulnerability, but he felt compelled to tell Adam. He had bottled up this fear for years and refused to admit to anyone, even himself, that he was scared of anything. Lucas always wanted to project this aura of superiority and masculinity, but... he couldn't lie to himself any longer and finally had to let it out. He was afraid.

* Adam Carlisle

(01/02/2016 at 06:13)
  • Gryffindor '49
  • C7D9T7S7
  • ['46-'47] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Adam furrowed his brows as he listened to this.

Of course it was possible to break bones in quidditch. It was possible to break bones doing anything really. Worst case scenarios seemed to always play in adult heads, which was odd. Rather morbid that they would think of ways that children could be hurt, rather than ways of how children should have fun.

His parents had thankfully not been that trauamatizing when it came to relating worry over his well-being when he did something, adventurous.

"I'm not going to smash my face in just to satisfy your obsession with getting me onto a broom."

He set Lucas down onto steady ground, his hand resting on Lucas's shoulder making sure he stayed upright before removing his hands from him. Adam blinked at Lucas, tilting his head, "Do I look like the sort that likes to smash people's faces in for fun?" It was a sincere question. He had never thought himself as the sort that looked threatening, he tried not to be. Threatening meant people would avoid him, and he rather liked being around people.

Though of course as Lucas gave his confession, Adam's face softened. His face relaxing as he straightened up and looked the smaller boy in the face. This certainly had not been expected. Of course, at least now he knew what the problems were. So perhaps he could fix it?

Or at least attempt to.

"Well... We don't have to fly high then." He blinked and then furrowed his brows as he realized that was not really enough. For Adam it would have been. For his younger brother, it probably would have been also... but his brother understood Adam. Biting his lower lip he looked thoughtful for a moment. His head turning to look over to his broom which he had left in the snow, along with the quaffle beside it. He supposed throwing around the quaffle could wait for another day.

Today, they would aim for a different goal.

Walking over to his broom he dusted off the snow, "Okay so... I can not promise you, you will not get hurt on a broom." He looked up at Lucas, "But, no one can really promise that you'll never get hurt unless you decide to stand still and do nothing." He gave a smile at Lucas as he walked over to him again, "And that really is not fun... And doesn't get anyone anywhere."

Being afraid of being hurt was like being afraid of life.

It happened.

You had to roll with the punches, as Frank always said.

"As for your fear of heights..." He doubted that Lucas would accept, but it was a shot. "Want me to fly with you? I promise I will make sure nothing happens to you." He then crossed his finger over his heart, "Cross my heart, I promise."

If Lucas went up and saw that there was nothing to be afraid of, then perhaps that would help? Besides, things were less scary when you had company.

Lucas St. Oswald

(01/03/2016 at 05:56)
  • Apprentice Lawyer
  • C11D6T6S8
    • View Profile
"Do I look like the sort that likes to smash people's faces in for fun?"

Lucas looked straight at Adam. He certainly had the muscle to smash a few faces in and seemed to have the strength to effortlessly carry Lucas around, but Lucas had never actually seen the boy use that power to threaten others. Really, he had never even heard Adam raise his voice. Adam's manner of speaking was actually rather foreign to Lucas... He was always patient, caring and never demeaned Lucas. It was beginning to make Lucas feel uncomfortable. He wasn't accustomed to dealing with genuinely kind people like Adam.

"No, I suppose not," Lucas concluded after a long pause. "From what I've seen, you're too passive and tender to do something like that... Very odd for a Gryffindor, I have to say." Lucas was just making an observation, but his tone made it sound like he was insulting Adam. He was a more rational person around Adam, but he still lacked the grace and tact to be kind to someone else.

"Okay so... I can not promise you, you will not get hurt on a broom. But, no one can really promise that you'll never get hurt unless you decide to stand still and do nothing. And that really is not fun... And doesn't get anyone anywhere."

Lucas had to admit to himself that if he ever wanted to get anywhere in life, he was going to have to take necessary risks at some point. He had been playing it too safe in his quest to spread the DuPont name around Hogwarts and become the single-most powerful and influential student in Hogwarts. Over the course of the previous term, he had managed to accomplish very little of his goal and he theorized that Father likely sent him to the camp as a punishment for performing so poorly...  Perhaps conquering one of his many fears was the first step to becoming more of a risk-taker.

When Adam smiled at Lucas, he involuntarily returned a small smile. It was just so genuine and infectious, that Lucas couldn't help but smile back at him. Lucas immediately caught himself and forced a frown. What was it about Adam that made him act so foolishly? Lucas was really starting to get frustrated with how nice Adam was acting, seemingly without any sort of ulterior motive.

"As for your fear of heights... Want me to fly with you? I promise I will make sure nothing happens to you. Cross my heart, I promise."

"Well, unless you care to make an Unbreakable Vow, your promises are just empty words and utterly worthless to me," Lucas said flippantly. Father always said that promises were made to be broken and that trusting others was for fools. No matter how "innocent" or "nice" Adam was, Lucas would never trust the boy. "However... I suppose you wouldn't be willing to put yourself in the same compromising position if you didn't think it was safe enough so..."

Lucas mulled it over for a few more moments before saying in a petulant voice, "Alright, I'll do it on the condition that you fly with me. If I perish, then you're going down with me!"

He then stretched out his arms like a child, expectantly, "Now, pick me up and help me onto that flying death trap!" Lucas had never mounted a broom before and didn't want to expose his own ineptitude. He also wanted to make this whole ordeal as difficult as possible for Adam. Besides, Lucas had been carried around by Adam so many times, he figured that it was just normal for Adam to carry people around.

Tags: