Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: Day Twenty-Two!  (Read 1412 times)

Viola Ross

(04/26/2015 at 23:50)
  • Gryffindor '42
  • C12D8T9S11
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Agh, halfbloods. Looove them. Have actually been toying with the idea of transitioning the Lancasters to halfblood status but that's a long way off (-looks pointedly at William-). Thistlecombs, Rosses, etc - they're all so lovely and you can have such a variety of types of character backgrounds. I think the vast majority of my characters have been halfblood, too.

* Waldo Woodrow Angerville

(04/28/2015 at 08:11)
  • Archivist + Administrative Assistant
  • C9D16T11S19
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I feel like pureblood is oftentimes the easiest of all the blood purities to go with, mainly because that does not restrict your character to family members that might have fallen away due to the time warp and because there are no politics that restrict your character all that much. The only restrictions that can possibly be given is the ones their families impose on them, which can differ from quite a lot to completely and absolutely nothing. Yet, I also adore writing them for all the history that comes with it and the complicated inbred family ties. There are a lot of dynamics between the pureblood families as well that I find very intriguing to exploit, not to mention the political power that comes with playing the head of a family. I love the pureblood events that it gives access to, the clubs and the privileges.

Yet, I found that I love how the political power of the purebloods tends to influence the halfbloods and the muggleborns. I love the political restrictions that are made by the pureblood men who have a seat in the Wizengamot, and I love how there are influences on my characters that I myself cannot control and just have to go with. It gives me the opportunity to think about how my characters would respond to all those laws and regulations, handing me new thread and plot ideas for my characters with every regulation that passed the wizengamot.

Where playing purebloods is the perfect causa formalis, I cannot ignore fact that playing halfbloods and muggleborns is the perfect cause finalis.

THIS IS THE GOLDEN AGE
of something good & right & real

Mia Lorelei Kedding

(04/29/2015 at 16:37)
  • Ravenclaw '47
  • C14D11T14S23
  • ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Quidditch Champions ['44-'45] Prefect Pick! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Quote from: Waldo
restrictions that can possibly be given is the ones their families impose on them, which can differ from quite a lot to completely and absolutely nothing. Yet, I also adore writing them for all the history that comes with it and the complicated inbred family ties. There are a lot of dynamics between the pureblood families as well that I find very intriguing to exploit, not to mention the political power that comes with playing the head of a family. I love the pureblood events that it gives access to, the clubs and the privileges.

^^^^what this lovely lady said. Purebloods are my favorite—I'll always adore the complications, the prejudices, the dramas, the trees. (shout out to Hannah (a.k.a Dacian Ellwood-Luxe) for being one of the pureblood creators that most inspires me in all these respects and many others.)

a princess carved from marble
S M O O T H E R   T H A N   A  S T O R M

Aethelstan G. Lowsley

(04/29/2015 at 23:53)
  • Auror-in-Training
  • C11D17T5S5
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Most Likely to Always be Single
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I think writing a halfblood would actually be quite fun! You can dispense with the fish out of water stuff, but also don't have to worry about the super-purity stuff either. Muggleborns come naturally to me, and I'm still trying to figure out how to write a 'classic' pureblood.

I also really want to write a squib.

And on the pedestal these words appear:

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair.'

Edmund Wolffe

(04/30/2015 at 16:01)
  • Hogwarts Librarian & School Counsellor
  • C15D14T14S13
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted
Purebloods are a lot of fun but I’m going to have to go with Muggleborn simply for the challenge of it.  

Maël Rey-Cadwallader

(04/30/2015 at 22:48)
Challenge Accepted

I really like the drama of being a Muggleborn. It's extremely pleasant. As a muggleborn, you sort of straddle a line, and when you're just starting out your character occupies a sort of liminal space. There are so many places you can go from there and things to do. With the time warp, it creates a whole new kind of drama, unique to this world, ergo if you write as a muggleborn you gain an experience completely unique to this website. It's just cool.

Ursula Nonpareil

(05/01/2015 at 06:25)
  • Resistance Member & Sergeant, 101st Broom Battalion & Secretary
  • C11D5T10S7
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

... I've only ever had Purebloods and one halfblood (who's not being played now). So by default, Purebloods. I've always been fascinated by Pureblood tradition and history in canon and on our site. Now that I come to think of it, this fascination probably rubbed onto Paris, who is a huge traditionalist and believes that Purebloods should be the top priority of the nation.

HAVE YOU WRAPPED AROUND OUR TRIGGER FINGER

QUEEN BEE YELLOW; YOU'RE THE SKIN FOR OUR STINGER

WE'LL MAKE YOU SWOON, MAKE IT HURT

Tags: