Don't forget to sign up for a cabin!

Author Topic: Round 2 Duel 1 : Flair vs Kennedy  (Read 717 times)

* Estella Ricardus

(04/20/2015 at 18:28)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
August 16th

Your ref for this duel is: Estella Ricardus

The duellists were instructed this round to come in the best party attire they had available with them at camp.

They were going to have a tea party!

Sort of.

The long table that was in the centre of the Mad Hatter's area of camp was the setting for today's duels. It was the perfect place for a pretend tea party. The table was already strewn with all kinds of tea cups, some still containing tea, others empty. Some were knocked over with tea leaking out onto the white tablecloth.

There were also some various snacks and treats all over the table. Just in case the duellists got hungry and felt like eating.

The duellists themselves were seated at the table per instruction. A duel could at least start civilly. Whether it would end that way remained to be seen.

Estella stood back from the table, out of the line of fire (hopefully) and surveyed the waiting duellists. She had only ever watched duels with her friends in them, but she still had a sense of excitement.

"Okay, everyone, we're about to begin!" She clapped once for effect.

"Remember the rules and try to have a clean, fair duel!"

Taking just a couple steps farther back, Estella cast one last look around at them before shouting, "begin!"

((Only one successful disarming action or spell per duellist))

Round 1 of 7:

Marlena Flair - 50%

vs

Galahad Kennedy - 70%

Marlena Flair

(04/20/2015 at 18:41)
  • Fourth Year
  • C9D4T7S8
  • ['45-'46] Journalist of the Term ['45-'46] Quidditch Champions [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Marlena came to the dueling block in the Mad Hatters Pavillions wearing white robes with bunny ears and a bushy cotton tail. She had only noticed that the note said to wear her best party attire. She had just worn this outfit to the White Rabbit Hop, so she thought it made perfect sense. She felt a little stupid when she got there and someone pointed out it was supposed to be tea party attire.

She had struggled through her first practice duel of the summer with her two foes, Lamia and Tiberius. She practiced really hard on understanding the purpose of a few charms, hoping that would give her an edge advantage in her new duel. All her studying hadn't prepared her for the layout she walked into. There were tea cups and snacks all over the place. Marlena thought about grabbing a snack, but she remembered what happened to the dormouse and the fairies who had attended one of the Mad Hatter's tea parties. She decided to save her hunger for later.

Marlena had her wand at the ready while Estella announced the duel. When she kicked it off, Marlena almost laughed. She hadn't realized her new foe had such blindingly white hair. It almost matched her odd rabbit costume. "Your hair looks a little frozen, like ice. Let's see the rest of you freeze with it," she called with an air of mockery. Pointing her wand at Galahad, Marlena commanded, "Petrificus Totalus!" She hoped to see the boy slow down completely before he could even get started.

Unlike her last duel, she was going to cast successful spells. She was willing herself to do so.

I'm normal.
It's you that has the growth disorder.

Galahad Percival Kennedy

(04/21/2015 at 04:09)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C2D0T1S1
  • ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Galahad arrived to the duel wearing a black suit, with a red tie. While Galahad probably could have assembled a better outfit, he decided that he didn't want to show off. Galahad was starting to get annoyed, this whole Alice through the looking glass shtick was really starting to get old.

Galahad had yet to really enter any duels, the only reason he agreed to duel in the first place was because some of his peers had been quite insistent.  However all of this information was irrelevant, now it was his sworn duty to wipe the floor with this pure blood supremacist.

Galahad began the duel proper by giving the symbolic bow out of respect to the etiquette of the duel rather than to his enemy.  "I would make a jest about you, but there's nothing worse I can do to you than that outfit" quipped Galahad in response. Pointing his want at Marlena, Galahad Commanded, "Flipendo!"   He hoped he would be able to land his spell before he was slowed down.

Galahad would win this duel, he had to.
The path we have chosen for the present is full of hazards, as all paths are; but it is the one most consistent with our character and courage as a nation and our commitments around the world. The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender or submission.

* Estella Ricardus

(04/21/2015 at 18:28)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Round 1 of 7:

A1. Marlena casts PT at Galahad. The spell nearly reaches him but fizzles out before hitting its target.

A2. Action is voided, spell is not an approved spell.

Round 2 of 7:

Marlena Flair - 50%

vs

Galahad Kennedy - 70%

Marlena Flair

(04/21/2015 at 21:39)
  • Fourth Year
  • C9D4T7S8
  • ['45-'46] Journalist of the Term ['45-'46] Quidditch Champions [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Marlena was clearly distracted by Galahad's attire. He was wearing muggle clothes, it seemed. A black suit and a red tie. Her spell failed. She laughed, "Of course! What could I expect from practicing?" She was mad as a hatter, but more correctly, she was angry as a hatter who had his favorite hat stolen from him. She didn't really know if hatters made hats or just wore them. She just knew of Alice in Wonderland's Mad Hatter who wore a hat and was insane.

Marlena still couldn't believe her spell had failed. If this duel ended up the same as the last duel, she was going to jump all over the place like a mad hatter. She wanted to throw her wand at Galahad, but then she'd be disarmed and just as frustrated. She couldn't come up with a clever reason why she would need her wand, but she decided to keep it, nonetheless.

She wasn't completely upset, though. Galahad had tried to cast a spell Marlena had heard of but never seen practiced. His wand also didn't seem to work with it. No one was getting any spells off too quickly. She stood up on her chair and reached for a plate of biscuits. Marlena attempted to eat a biscuit to gain some energy and focus. [+2 ability] Hopefully, it wasn't a bad biscuit. That would do her no good.

Do not hold me closer.
I am not your tiny dancer.

Galahad Percival Kennedy

(04/22/2015 at 00:55)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C2D0T1S1
    • View Profile
This was an important duel and Galahad couldn't afford any distractions, he needed to focus himself. Galahad couldn't believe that his spell didn't work, of course he had never used it before, and he was generally new to casting spells, but Galahad held himself to a high standard. If Galahad didn't do something well, he would endlessly chastise himself until he did.

Galahad closed his and eyes to focus himself, there was only one thing in existance right now and that was his opponent. Everything else was background noise, nothing else was important right now. Galahad hoped that is meditation would help him do better [+3 ability]
The path we have chosen for the present is full of hazards, as all paths are; but it is the one most consistent with our character and courage as a nation and our commitments around the world. The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender or submission.

* Estella Ricardus

(04/22/2015 at 15:01)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Round 2 of 7:

A1. Marlena eats a biscuit. That's one tasty biscuit! +2 abi
A2. Galahad does some meditation. Calm and collected does the trick! +2 abi

(Ref note: modifiers to stats on physical actions cannot be above two)

Round 3 of 7:

Marlena Flair - 50% +2 abi for one round

vs

Galahad Kennedy - 70% +2 abi for one round

Marlena Flair

(04/22/2015 at 15:26)
  • Fourth Year
  • C9D4T7S8
    • View Profile
Galahad closed his eyes. He looked like a fool. She eyed him suspiciously while she nibbled on the biscuit in her hand. It made her feel better. She decided that was a good idea. She'd have to remember that later in the duel. Often, Marlena found herself too focused on hurling herself at her foes like a little cannonball.

"Mmm biscuits!" Her shout was intended to disturb the white haired boy. "I hope I'm not disturbing your sleep," she said with a laugh. She then aimed her wand at Galahad and demanded, "Petrificus Totalus!" She hoped to Merlin that the biscuit would give her the juice she needed to freeze him in that sleep-like condition.

If all went well, she'd be able to plan out her next attack while he stayed there, petrified. He was such an anti-snob, and she couldn't wait to rub it in his face that she was able to take him down in his first duel. She might be about a foot shorter than him, but she wasn't going to let that stop her. Next thing you knew, she'd be throwing shoes and saucers about to celebrate her underdog victory.

I might be small, but I pack a big punch.
A big jug of fruit punch.

Galahad Percival Kennedy

(04/22/2015 at 17:52)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C2D0T1S1
    • View Profile
Now was not the time to do anything other than to focus on the duel, he would revel in his victory later, now was the time for action. Galahad drew his wand and pointed it at Marlena Commanded "Expelliarmus!". This was Galahad's go to spell, it ended the fight quickly, before any irreversible damage was done.

* Estella Ricardus

(04/23/2015 at 16:28)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Round 3 of 7

A1. Marlena casts PT at Galahad. Success! 5% damage!
A2. Galahad casts Expelliarmus at Marlena. The spell is successful but Marlena manages to slip out of the way!

Round 4 of 7:

Marlena Flair - 50% may act twice

vs

Galahad Kennedy - 65% -2 vel

Marlena Flair

(04/23/2015 at 17:10)
  • Fourth Year
  • C9D4T7S8
    • View Profile
Marlena laughed when her spell hit Galahad, but she had to quickly dodge his oncoming spell. It looked like things might be going in her favor. She praised the biscuit for giving her the focus to formulate the Petrificus Totalus spell correctly. He wouldn't be slowed down for too long, though. She needed to act quick.

She thought she had heard him utter the spell to send her wand flying out of her hand. She frowned at him. "Really, Galahad? Are you that concerned with little ole me?" She chuckled, realizing she might be more powerful than she gave herself credit. "How about you try that again, Fancy Pants?"

She looked down at the table. There were a lot of items strewn about. She had already had a biscuit, and it was lovely. This time, Marlena grabbed a cup of tea and tried to drink it, hoping the caffeine in it would help her be faster with her ideas than Galahad and more focused. [act twice, +1 ability] She hurriedly looked around for what else she could do. Uncertain, she figured she might as well take another sip. She grabbed another half empty cup of tea and attempted to drink it, hoping once again to be so fast she could act with focus before he could blink. [act twice, +1 ability]

Do not hold me closer.

Galahad Percival Kennedy

(04/24/2015 at 01:41)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C2D0T1S1
    • View Profile
"Not a bad Idea actually" said Galahad, he raised his wand and shouted "Expelliarmus!"

* Estella Ricardus

(04/25/2015 at 16:59)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Round 4 of 7

A1. Marlena drinks some caffeinated tea. Success!
A2. Marlena drinks some more caffeinated tea. Success!
A3. Galahad casts Expelliarmus at Marlena. Success! 2% damage

Round 5 of 7:

Marlena Flair - 48% Disarmed - must use physical action to retrieve wand, may act four times, +2 abi

vs

Galahad Kennedy - 65%
I've been saving my soul for someone like you.

Marlena Flair

(04/26/2015 at 03:42)
  • Fourth Year
  • C9D4T7S8
    • View Profile
Marlena was too busy sipping down tea to notice what Galahad was up to. Right as she finished her second cup, she felt the sting of his spell not her wand hand, sending her magical utensil soaring behind her. She winced as she watched in horror as her wand rumbled through the air. With each rotation, she grew angrier at him.

"Why'd you have to go and do that?!" Her voice was full of poison as she threw her tantrum. In her rage, she chucked the tea cup at Galahad's wand arm, hoping to knock his wand away, too. [disarm, damage] She only felt it was fair to return his reply to his rudimentary spell with some childish behavior. Though, she was secretly impressed with the boy. He had stopped her plan in its tracks by that one simple spell. Now, it felt like the tea was for nothing.

Still in tantrum mode, she reached down and pulled off her shoes. Marlena tried to throw her smelliest shoe at him, hoping its stank would weaken him. [dmg, -1 res] She muttered to herself like her great great grandfather used to do when he was forced to begrudgingly sit through family council. She took her other shoe and attempted to bounce it off the top of his noggin, wishing it would slow him down by knocking him onto his bottom. [dmg, act twice]

She was beginning to feel the increased energy wear off. However, she didn't want Galahad to get the upper hand. With her hands on the table, she tried to push it toward Galahad, potentially pinning him between the table and chair. [dmg, act twice] That ought take care of the boy for a moment.

Do not hold me closer.

* Estella Ricardus

(04/26/2015 at 19:01)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Round 5 of 7

A1. Marlena throws a tea cup at Galahad. Success! Galahad is disarmed. 6% damage.
A2. Marlena throws a shoe at Galahad. Success! 4% damage.
A3. Marlena attempts throwing her other shoe at Galahad. She misses!
A4. Marlena tries pushing the table toward Galahad. This table is particularly heavy and doesn't budge.

Round 6 of 7:

Marlena Flair - 48% Disarmed - must use physical action to retrieve wand

vs

Galahad Kennedy - 55% Disarmed - must use physical action to retrieve wand, -1 res, one round missed
« Last Edit: 04/26/2015 at 20:05 by Estella Ricardus »

Marlena Flair

(04/26/2015 at 20:03)
  • Fourth Year
  • C9D4T7S8
    • View Profile
Marlena felt like she was queen of the bees after knocking Galahad’s wand clean out of his hand with a tea cup. Her shoes were hit or miss, it seemed, but she was glad that one of them found their mark. She had clearly confused him. It looked like he just stayed still while she threw her tantrum. Maybe he was more mature than Marlena was.

She tried to push the table, but it wouldn’t budge. There was clearly too much on top of it for her to move it. She might not be able to move it, but maybe she could try to tip it. If she was able to get him riled up, she might be able to distract him enough to formulate a plan. “Why are you just sitting there like a peacock? All feathers and no bite.”

Squatting down by the edge of the table, she tried to push her end up. Hopefully, the dishes, the food, and miscellaneous tea party items would all tumble down burying Galahad in the hodgepodge pile. [dmg, act twice] She grunted with all her might, hoping she had inherited the powerful legs of her diminutive ancestors.

She needed to finish him off. She couldn’t go to her first year of Hogwarts with a loss on her dueling record already. If she came home from camp a winner, her father might show a glimpse of pride in her.

Call me short.
I'll call you an ambulance.

Galahad Percival Kennedy

(04/27/2015 at 17:44)
  • Ickle Firstie!
  • C2D0T1S1
    • View Profile
Throwing shoes, a glass of tea and trying to knock over a table? Was this a duel? from what it seemed so far  that was not the case. Galahad threw up his hands "Oh for the love of" he stopped himself short of saying anything foul "I came here to particpate in a duel, not to watch some petulant child throw a temper tantrum. Duelists everywhere are rolling over in their graves at what a disgrace this has been."

"I quit, you want to consider that as a victory, than you jolly well go ahead, but I cannot continue to abide by such a farce" said Galahad continuing his tirade against Marlena. "Congratulations, you have beaten by my patience, by turning what was supposed to be a gentlemanly duel into a petty slap fight, I hope you feel happy about yourself." 

Galahad picked up his wand and began to walk away, this was not worth his time. If this is what dueling was going to be like in Hogwarts, than you could rest assured that he wouldn't be signing up any time soon.
« Last Edit: 04/27/2015 at 18:15 by Galahad Percival Kennedy »
Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a torpedo technician!

* Estella Ricardus

(04/27/2015 at 19:11)
  • Potions Professor
  • C16D11T10S13
  • Donor
    • View Profile
As the young duellist walked off without her having ended the duel, Estella blinked owlishly for several long moments. She was not a duellist and this was the first time she had been asked to referee a duel but she was sure this was not how they usually went. Didn't the duellists know the duel could take odd turns? Perhaps because the boy was so young he had expected something quite different.

Stepping back closer to the table Estella said, a little unsure, "Marlena Flair is the winner?"

She shrugged her shoulders and smiled over at the little girl. "Congratulations!"

The duel is over, Marlena Flair is the winner!

Tags: