Drop by the Fashion Fair!

Author Topic: Day Twenty!  (Read 1119 times)

* Viola Ross

(04/26/2015 at 23:33)
  • Gryffindor '42
  • C12D8T9S11
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

I've noticed that for whatever reason, I tend to gravitate toward mixed-race characters? Rory was part-Spanish, Flynn had some Cherokee, and Vi of course is 25% Japanese. I've just always been interested in exploring that 'child of two worlds' dichotomy, having characters that have trouble fitting in - in addition to whatever angst and insecurities I throw at them on top of that.

* Waldo Woodrow Angerville

(04/28/2015 at 07:52)
  • Archivist + Administrative Assistant
  • C8D15T11S18
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Some of my characters are the full hundred procent British. There is Waldo who is British to the very core of his soul even as he tends not to like tea all that much, and there is Nemo who is more British than his lacking vocabulaire lets on.

But then I also have Arcus, Loxias and Salazar who are all half British and half Italian. Not that the Italian part of them resonates much in their threads and their background, but it is there anyway. Arcus also spent a lot of time in America, so he has adapted himself to some of his habits where he has dropped some of the British ones. Generally, he is just floating around between nationalities.

Then there is Cladis, who is from France. More specifically, from the very little town in south-east of France called Sévrier. It is a little town that I tended to visit during the summer holidays so it is very dear to me. Probably even more so because it gives me the opportunity to make little detailed references about his home town that could be found there in reality as well. The only struggle for me is just that he is from France, and my French is absolutely terrible. Thank Merlin there is Google Translate, I saved all the French dictionaries I needed for high school and I have some feeling for the mediterranean languages simply because I have studied Latin for quite some time.

My first little baby is from the Netherlands. Even as I failed to make her last name a Dutch one, which has caused me so much struggles later on for her heritage and her parents. Fides is one hundred percent Dutch, which was originally just for the sake of having an excuse for my poor writing skills and her grammar mistakes. I love the fact that it gives me the opportunity to make her use my own first language at specific moments in time, as well as makes me use the old Dutch traditions that are very dear to me. I love the depth and definition that her Dutch background has given her.

THAT’S WHY I LIKE YOU SO MUCH

your heart isn’t dead

Mia Lorelei Kedding

(04/29/2015 at 16:24)
  • Herbology Professor Ravenclaw '47
  • C14D11T14S23
  • ['46-'47] Duelling Finalist [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Quidditch Champions ['44-'45] Prefect Pick! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

UK for realism, but with some other nationalities sprinkled in for fun. (Cissy = Korean/British, Mia = Italian/British, Aries = quarter German/British)

a princess carved from marble
S M O O T H E R   T H A N   A  S T O R M

Aethelstan G. Lowsley

(04/29/2015 at 23:50)
  • Magical Creatures Registration Division—Junior Compliance Officer
  • C10D16T5S5
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Most Likely to Always be Single
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

My own?

It was a little bit of a self-insert to have Nora be part Canadian. But, it also was a reflection on what I was going through at the time. I was a Canadian living in the UK, going through some of the same struggles that Nora would have gone through. It was different, as no one really had Canadians, let alone Americans, and it let me have an alternate spin to the character. So Canada.

Well. All my others have been British, so I'm not really that bad.

And on the pedestal these words appear:

'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair.'

Jackson Ross

(04/30/2015 at 06:54)
  • Ravenclaw '46
  • C16D9T15S9
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist [1945] Superlative Winner Most Likely to Come Back as a Professor ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['42-'43] Duelling Finalist Larkspur - Most Humorous Superlative Winner - Most Resourceful
    • View Profile

Challenge Accepted

America. Write what you know, right? Derek was southern born and bred when I first joined, and probably the real reason why I could relate from him from the get go. Outside of that, I guess the UK. I try not to get too complicated with it, but I still want to be able to relate to the character and write them in a believable manner.

Edmund Wolffe

(04/30/2015 at 15:34)
  • Hogwarts Librarian & School Counsellor
  • C15D14T14S13
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Well, Edmund is Scottish. My previous charrie was French. I’m a bit of a francophile so I’ll have to go with France. Although I’m thinking my next one is going to have to be an American!

Maël Rey-Cadwallader

(04/30/2015 at 22:35)
Challenge Accepted

Sylvianne, Maël, Guy. I do love my French babies.

Ursula Nonpareil

(05/01/2015 at 06:15)
  • Resistance Member & Sergeant, 101st Broom Battalion & Secretary
  • C11D5T10S7
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Challenge Accepted

Let's look at all my characters:

Ursula – British
Andromeda – British / German
Paris – British / Korean
Jasper – British / Italian

So I guess it's Britain for me? Probably because it's convenient

RULE BRITANNIA, BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES, BRITONS NEVER NEVER NEVER SHALL BE SLAVES

HAVE YOU WRAPPED AROUND OUR TRIGGER FINGER

QUEEN BEE YELLOW; YOU'RE THE SKIN FOR OUR STINGER

WE'LL MAKE YOU SWOON, MAKE IT HURT

Tags: