Vote for Player of the Summer!

Author Topic: Spectrum [Payton]  (Read 616 times)

L Azuriah

(12/26/2014 at 06:07)
  • Fourth Year
  • C4D4T4S4
    • View Profile
late august 1943
12.31 pm, behind the crow's nest

In retrospect, going for days and days that turned to weeks without sleep wasn't the best decision. He didn't exactly regret it - well, he did, somewhat; he could do without the occasional headaches, the constant drowsiness, and the increased anxiety.

Especially the increased anxiety.

He took a deep breath, scowling, and pressed his back against the wall of the messhall - or Crow's Nest - or whatever it was called - as he munched on his umpteenth chocolate frog (he'd lost count after twelve).

He wanted to eat something that wasn't sweet, or chocolate, or, well, sweet. However, it was lunch time, so there were a lot of people inside, which was why he was stationed outside, eating all the chocolate frogs he'd managed to get his hands on (or stuff his pockets with, as it were).

(He wasn't hiding; technically, he was... resting. Because of his sleep deprivation.)

He had enough self-awareness, though, to damn his increased anxiety to the greatest torture he could imagine - which was watching on someone burned his books or his dresses, or worse, both.

L shuddered at the mental image, and stuffed his mouth with yet another chocolate frog, his fingers missing his mouth the first few tries due to their shakiness.

However, this was the situation he was in, so he would tolerate his guilty eating of sweets for as long as the lunch hour took. It wasn't like his sweet tooth minded, anyway.

IMAGINE LIVING LIKE A KING SOMEDAY,
A SINGLE NIGHT WITHOUT
A GHOST IN THE WALLS

king for a day

Payton Rose

(12/28/2014 at 17:19)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
  • Hyacinth - Most Sincere
    • View Profile
Payton was avoiding her cousin.

Ever since her blow-up involving her aunt and Blake coming out with claws at the ready, she'd been terrified to approach Serena, to offer an explanation. There was little she could say that would take back Blake's harsh insults and she was fearful that her only family left would deem her a freak. Then she'd truly be alone...since the letter said...well...

She didn't want to think about that.

Payton got her lunch quietly, nodding and smiling at those who came up to her though she was angled in a way that discouraged much conversation and, especially, touching. She wasn't sure, with the way her empathy was on the fritz since her and Serena's...interaction...that she could handle an influx of emotions right now. Instead, she ducked her head and went outside, searching for a place to hide.

Especially when a familiar head of blonde hair made itself known.

She was a coward, she knew, as she moved quickly around the mess hall, breathing out a sigh of relief when she realized she'd gone unseen. She wasn't sure what Serena would do when they next saw each other...all she knew is that she would put it off for as long as possible. She loved her cousin, that much was true, but she was also skittish and fragile. Other than Grant and Edmund, she trusted very few people.

Making her way to the back of the building, Payton leaned against the wall and sighed, closing her blue eyes briefly. It took her a few moments to realize that she was not alone and, startled even though she'd interrupted him, she blinked at the boy. "I-I'm sorry." She stammered and then frowned at herself; she was a counselor...and generally, campers weren't supposed to come back here.

Though she supposed mentioning that would be hypocritical.

"Why are you out here?" She asked instead, swallowing the sudden surge of nerves.

L Azuriah

(12/30/2014 at 20:45)
  • Fourth Year
  • C4D4T4S4
    • View Profile
Two chocolate frogs left.

He felt like a walking cavity. Or, well, sitting, technically. But that wasn't the point.

L grimaced at the sight of the remaining sweets, one hopping off his palm to land on - and almost slip off of - his arm. He would need to vigorously brush his teeth directly after this. (But the chocolate tasted so good...)

He should probably just skip lunch again. Eating all those chocolates made his taste buds feel swollen, oversatiated. (Maybe just two more?)

No. No more. He would put these last two chocolate frogs in his pocket, and eat them tomorrow. Or, better yet, never again. Leave them there to melt in- no, probably not melt in his pocket. He should probably just give them to someone else -

(But he didn't want to give up this chocolate! There were only two more!)

Scowling at himself, L gingerly picked up the stray piece of chocolate, which had hopped up on his shoulder, and popped it in his mouth, decisively.

He'd give the other one to the first person he saw. At least, then, he could have a partially clear conscience, since he didn't eat all the chocolate frogs he had.

Someone sighed nearby, and L jumped, hitting his shoulder blades against the wall, as he turned towards the sound. He hadn't noticed someone had come by and sat near him.

"I-I'm sorry."

His hand clenched around the sweet in his palm, half-unconsciously, while his other hand reached up and fiddled with his bowtie. He swallowed.

"It's- It's alright. You just, ah, startled me, is all. I apologize as well, if I had startled you too." He blinked, remembering, and hesitantly extended his hand towards the older girl, opening his hand palm-up to reveal his last chocolate frog, the one he'd promised himself not to eat. And the one which he hoped she would take off his hands so he would fulfill that promise to himself.

"Would you like a chocolate frog?"

"Why are you out here?"

L blinked again, out of surprise this time. Then averted his eyes as his fingers' trembling seemed to worsen on his bowtie.

"Ah, well... it's... cooler here? I suppose. There's a lot of people inside, so..."

He hesitated again, and looked over. Was she a counsellor? Oh dear, what if it wasn't allowed to be outside, at the back of the messhall, at meal times?

I AM OUT OF MY MIND
THROWING A LINE OUT TO SEA
TO SEE IF I CAN CATCH A DREAM

she had the world

Payton Rose

(01/07/2015 at 02:45)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
  • Hyacinth - Most Sincere
    • View Profile
If anything, the boy looked more surprised by her presence than she had been by finding him back there. Payton swallowed and ran anxious fingers through her hair, tilting her head slightly, trying not to look so...imposing. Though with her small stature and skinny limbs, she wasn't sure how she even managed to seem intimidating in the first place.

Maybe it was the Quidditch muscles.

"It's- It's alright. You just, ah, startled me, is all. I apologize as well, if I had startled you too."

The Ravenclaw smiled slightly, moving to sit next to him.

"Well, we're even then. No need to apologize." She replied softly, blue eyes warm. He seemed nervous, uncertain and the edges of Payton's awareness tingled; her empathy picking up on the emotions as he fidgeted. Then he was sticking a hand out towards her and Payton drew back, startled.

She didn't do much touching; it aggravated her ability.

"Would you like a chocolate frog?"

Payton blinked, eyes flickering from the offered chocolate to the boy's face and back, as if surprised to be offered something. But she shivered slightly and blushed, "I...ah...frogs don't..." She shrugged, "I'm not a frog person." She despised the beasts...which, really, was strange, considering her love for bugs and all other things creepy crawly.

But frogs, toads...nope, she couldn't handle it.

Even in chocolate form. "But thank you."

"Ah, well... it's... cooler here? I suppose. There's a lot of people inside, so..."

The counselor nodded amicably, lifting a roll from her tray and nibbling on it considering the boy next to her. "I understand. Typically though, students aren't allowed back here." She smiled, winking conspiratorially. "But, I come back here often enough that stopping you seems...unfair."

She tossed her black hair lightly. "I'm Payton. What's your name?"

Tags: