Participate in our 20th birthday challenge!

Author Topic: No More Motion Potion | Payton  (Read 948 times)

Oliver Razi

(12/14/2014 at 16:46)
Early Morning

He'd been sleeping just fine in the spot he found himself late yesterday evening until one Payton had woke him up.  Though at least he was heading to the infirmary with his blankets over his shoulder and his pillow of a back pack firmly on his back. 

" I was just fine sleeping there. "

He hoped she'd let him go back.  Then he started to itch his arm which had apparently been bit by something over night.  Which was more common than he'd like to admit - but still beat the boats.

" I don't want to drink any more of that motion potion. "

It tasted bad.  Plus he was rather certain it was starting to impact his flying.  He just didn't have the reaction time he used to have.  Or maybe it was his bad mood and sense of failure that was hitting him there too.

" Please can I just go back to bed and you forget you saw me, instead of the infirmary? "

He had to try.  Payton was his friend after all, so maybe he'd have some luck with her.

Payton Rose

(12/16/2014 at 17:34)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
  • Hyacinth - Most Sincere
    • View Profile
Payton had been patrolling the area when she'd come upon Oliver, fast asleep...and not in the place he should be sleeping. Concern and amusement rolled through her in equal waves and she moved closer, reaching down to shake his shoulder and mutter his name, "Oliver. Oliver come on, get up!"

"I was just fine sleeping there."

The counselor pursed her lips.

"Well you're not suppose to sleep there. Look at you....come on. We're going to the camp infirmary." She said, moving to help him more forcefully to his feet. He may have been comfortable but he looked far from it and Payton, especially touching him, could feel the dread suddenly seep into him.

"I don't want to drink any more of that motion potion."

Ah. Motion sickness then.

Payton could understand that; though she'd gotten over her motion sickness back when she'd first learned to row and, consequently, swim. The potion was terrible, she'd admit it, and it's side effects were nothing to scoff at. But she sighed and tugged him up to his feet.

"Please can I just go back to bed and you forget you saw me, instead of the infirmary?"

She'd always been a sucker for big pleading eyes.

Payton sighed, "You can go back to your boat and sleep or come to the infirmary. Those are your choices." She said firmly, looking down at her friend with concern. She wasn't trying to be the bad guy, but sometimes, in order to help, she had to.

Oliver Razi

(12/17/2014 at 02:02)
"You can go back to your boat and sleep or come to the infirmary. Those are your choices."

He didn't like his choices.  With a rather large yawn he said " Can we just count this as me waking up in the morning?   Then I could start my day with a nap somewhere else out of the way. "  He didn't want to go back to that evil rocking boat.  Prior to this summer camp experience he never thought he'd find a place he couldn't sleep.  This summer had proven him wrong.

He liked naps.  Then he looked up at Payton knowing he didn't stand a chance.  So he added " If I choose infirmary can I just sleep there, and skip the potion. "  As he wouldn't mind an actual bed to sleep on as it had been a few nights.  Then he tried to look at her with the best puppy dog eyes he could muster.

He didn't like this, but he started walking slowly towards the infirmary.  He certainly wasn't going onto that ship and staying there for the rest of the night.  Then he said with another yawn " Can I make a tent outside the ship and we call it close enough? "

As he figured he'd try to meet Payton half way - as long as he didn't have to go on the ship.

Payton Rose

(12/19/2014 at 07:19)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
    • View Profile
Payton watched Oliver yawn, that stubborn glint in his eye.

"Can we just count this as me waking up in the morning?   Then I could start my day with a nap somewhere else out of the way. "

"Oliver." She said, a warning in her tone as she frowned at him. There was concern there, alongside the adamant role of counselor. "No. It's against the rules and I'm here to enforce them. Now, pick: boat or infirmary." She said sternly.

There were times when she'd bend the rules for friends...but not when it came to health.

And certainly not when her favorite Slytherin was sleeping in unsavory places.

"Can I make a tent outside the ship and we call it close enough? "

Payton sighed, "Ollie. You musn't sleep outside the ship...it can be quite dangerous, you know. The potion isn't that bad. I'll see if I can flavor it to make it better. Perhaps Grant can make a more tasteful one, would you like that?" She asked, a hand on Oliver's shoulder, leading him to the infirmary as she spoke.

Oliver Razi

(12/20/2014 at 03:03)
"No. It's against the rules and I'm here to enforce them. Now, pick: boat or infirmary."

The choice was easy.  He just didn't want to make it.  He wanted no more of that potion as he had far to much of it already.

"Ollie. You musn't sleep outside the ship...it can be quite dangerous, you know. The potion isn't that bad. I'll see if I can flavor it to make it better. Perhaps Grant can make a more tasteful one, would you like that?"

He looked at Payton rather curiously and said " It isn't dangerous.  Worst I've gotten was bug bites. "  He also had a rash on his arm developing and had one on his leg for a couple of days last week as well.  He was just not going to mention that as they were easily fixed with better potions than the motion potion.

He said rather unsure " It isn't just the taste. "  Then he looked up at Payton rather unsure " I don't like being on a potion that impacts my brain.  Seriously it isn't like a rash on your skin it is your brain.  I'm sure there are side effects for long term use that aren't safe. "

Payton Rose

(12/20/2014 at 04:54)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
    • View Profile
" It isn't dangerous.  Worst I've gotten was bug bites. "

Naivety. Payton shook her head.

"Bugs can be poisonous. And poison curse taste worst than motion sickness potion, I can assure you." She'd been poisoned last summer...was it really then? She couldn't remember precisely, only that a young man named Dante had been the reason she'd made it to the infirmary.

It wasn't her fault; she hadn't known the thing would bite her!

And now Oliver was in a similar predicament. She only wanted to help him and, she hoped, he would eventually see that was the case. Even if helping him meant he had to take a vile-tasting potion...

" It isn't just the taste.  I don't like being on a potion that impacts my brain.  Seriously it isn't like a rash on your skin it is your brain.  I'm sure there are side effects for long term use that aren't safe. "

That gave Payton pause.

She knew all about things that messed around in your brain; hell, she had another personality living in hers. She swallowed slightly and was a bit more gentle when she moved to reassure him. "Potions like this are regulated for safety; there is a proper dosage for a reason. I promise nothing bad will come of it."

Oliver Razi

(12/20/2014 at 17:51)
"Bugs can be poisonous. And poison curse taste worst than motion sickness potion, I can assure you."

He hadn't thought of bugs being poisonous.  Though all things considering taste wasn't his main objection - though it was definitely high on the list.    Rather unsurely he said " I'd rather risk it. "

Potions like this are regulated for safety; there is a proper dosage for a reason. I promise nothing bad will come of it."

Looking at Payton rather unsure he said " Regulated. "  It didn't seem rather regulated to him.  He went into the infirmary said he was sick and he was given some of the potion he'd just brewed.  Sometime it made his tummy hurt worse.  Thankfully in that case he was the first patient so he could dump the batch.  Then he said " I end up brewing it every couple of days and practically automatically handed it. "

Didn't seem that regulated to him.

Then he said " I suspect at some point people are just told not to be fishermen or boat types instead of constantly being given it.  I'm just helping you out by saying it first. "    As he couldn't imagine being supposed to take this contentiously.

Payton Rose

(12/25/2014 at 16:14)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
    • View Profile
"I'd rather risk it."

Payton frowned sternly at him, hands on her hips.

"I'd rather not. Poisonous bugs can kill you but motion sickness can't. Oliver..." His name came out as a sort of whine, more pleading than commanding now. Ever since they'd first met, Payton knew that Oliver was as stubborn as they came but she didn't want to argue over something as imperative as the younger boy's health.

She only wanted to help...even if she was being a pain.

"Regulated. I end up brewing it every couple of days and practically automatically handed it."

The older girl arched a brow and frowned at him; that didn't seem right.

She and Foster had been doing their best to run a tight ship in regards to the Infirmary, even with campers and volunteers brewing their potions. But she hadn't heard of bottling and distribution...especially immediate distribution. Most potions needed time to sit rather than being taken immediately. But it wasn't as if she could spend her entire summer monitoring the sick bay.

"I...that's...I'll look into that. It's not supposed to work that way." She said, frowning.

"I suspect at some point people are just told not to be fishermen or boat types instead of constantly being given it. I'm just helping you out by saying it first."

Payton sighed. "Alright, I get it." She rested her hand on Oliver's shoulder, a thoughtful expression on her face. "Maybe we can look into getting you safer quarters, off-ship and not on the ground. Would that be better?"

Oliver Razi

(12/25/2014 at 16:36)
"I'd rather not. Poisonous bugs can kill you but motion sickness can't. Oliver…"

He doubted bugs could kill him.  However he could clearly think of how motion sickness could.  Looking up at Payton he said " I'm pretty sure motion sickness can kill you too.  Certainly feels like it. "  Then he started thinking and said " I suspect losing ones dinner could lead to starvation especially considering that I can hardly get breakfast down. "  With a smirk he said " I feel better after sleeping outside and worse after ending up on that ship. "

"I...that's...I'll look into that. It's not supposed to work that way."

Looking at Payton rather unsure he said " Probably helps as I've had enough of it when Grant brews it that I can tell real fast if I messed up and I toss the batch. "  Or he assumed that it was when Grant brewed it as he had a rather good sense of taste and kept track of how things tasted when Grant brewed things so he'd know he was right.  Would Dawson's dueling dummy for brewing work for things like that?  He'd have to ask.

Then with a smile he said " Someday I'll be able to brew them like Grant.  I try to get as many shifts as I can with him as he is really good. "

"Maybe we can look into getting you safer quarters, off-ship and not on the ground. Would that be better?"

He smiled.  That would be perfect.  As it wasn't like he had the option to go home so he was stuck.  So it was either the boats or the ground.  Of the two he preferred the ground, but he was certain anything Payton came up with would be even better.

Payton Rose

(12/29/2014 at 06:13)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
    • View Profile
Though younger, Oliver had a way of getting under Payton's skin.

"I'm pretty sure motion sickness can kill you too. Certainly feels like it."

Payton sighed and fixed Oliver with an exasperated look.

"I suspect losing ones dinner could lead to starvation especially considering that I can hardly get breakfast down. I feel better after sleeping outside and worse after ending up on that ship."

The older Ravenclaw held her hands up in a defensive motion. "Alright, alright. Point taken Oliver." She stopped, hovering outside the Infirmary. Glancing at the entrance then back at her Slytherin friend, she crossed her arms over her chest and her face grew thoughtful.

She needed to get to the bottom of this potion-brewing issue...but she wasn't sure how to approach it. The last thing she wanted to do was to accuse someone of something that wasn't their fault...but there was something wrong with the way things were being run. And she was supposed to be in charge of running things.

At least partially.

"Probably helps as I've had enough of it when Grant brews it that I can tell real fast if I messed up and I toss the batch. Someday I'll be able to brew them like Grant.  I try to get as many shifts as I can with him as he is really good."

Payton's face softened, as it always did at mention of her boyfriend. "Yes, he's very good. You can always ask him for extra help too, if you want to get even better with Potions." She smiled fondly and then looked back at the Infirmary, an idea blossoming in her head.

"Oliver, how about if you slept in the Infirmary?" She suggested. "It'd keep you out of the elements, off of the ground and it's close to any potions or medical supplies if something happens." It sounded like a good idea to her.

Oliver Razi

(12/29/2014 at 14:46)
"Alright, alright. Point taken Oliver."

Normally he would have smirked.  However he was to tired to actually enjoy this victory.  Even though he was certain that it would improve things for him and keep him off the boat for the night. 

"Yes, he's very good. You can always ask him for extra help too, if you want to get even better with Potions."

He nodded.  Then he said " I also went to Professor Dawson for help last term.  She has a potions dummy you can test potions on in one of her closets and said I could come by and use it to test things.  She didn't like that I tested on myself, but it was the only way.  I mean I wouldn't want to give others bad potions I'd get kicked out of the wing or worse dueling. "

As he really wanted to do good at dueling.  Getting the second round last term even if it was on pure luck had made his father smile he was sure of it.

"Oliver, how about if you slept in the Infirmary?  It'd keep you out of the elements, off of the ground and it's close to any potions or medical supplies if something happens."

Looking around he said " Sounds good to me, and if anyone needs any overnight help I could help them. "  Which meant some other camper could have nighttime fun as he knew he wasn't the only one about at night.  As he ran into way to many people when trying to find sleeping spots.

Payton Rose

(01/03/2015 at 00:16)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
    • View Profile
Payton ruffled Oliver's hair, feeling the slight surge of triumph in her younger friend and did her best not to smile. It wouldn't do for him to get used to feeling so smug in her presence, but the slight exhaustion overwhelmed any other emotions and she let it slide.

"...She didn't like that I tested on myself, but it was the only way.  I mean I wouldn't want to give others bad potions..."

Frowning, the older Ravenclaw shook her head at him. "If I'd have known..." Though she supposed she did know. After all, the first time she'd met Oliver he'd been sticking his fingers in random concoctions, trying to guess which one would help. "Well...no more testing on yourself. There are people who care what happens to you."

She tapped his cheek affectionately.

"Sounds good to me, and if anyone needs any overnight help I could help them."

Payton sighed and smiled, "Yes you could."

She paused, peering into the infirmary and then squeezing Oliver's shoulder, "For tonight though, get some rest." She smiled, ruffled his hair again, and nudged him forward. "And that's an order, or you'll be doing more mopping than brewing tomorrow."

Tags: