Don't forget to sign up for a cabin!

Author Topic: The Christmas in July Ball || OPEN  (Read 2119 times)

* Leander Laskos

(12/19/2013 at 04:28)
  • Adjunct Magical Creatures Sanctuary Administrator
  • C13D5S13T13
  • Superlative Winner - Most Flexible
    • View Profile
Leander entered the Hall through the back way, from the kitchens. There had been too many campers haning out on the porch waiting for friends and around the door seeing who else was coming in for the party. He was not about to be waiting around in the snow to just to get in. Apparently it was a favorite past time of the Paladins to be throwing parties. Probably something to do with social circles and all that.

Not that he minded, so long as his name was on the guest list and the food was good.

Grabbing a frosted sugar cookie, he took a bite and grinned around the room. Well, certainly got points for panache.

Since he'd returned from quarantine, he found he'd actually missed camp. It was still a bit embarrassing to have to explain why he'd been gone, especially since he knew the Fatigue made a lot of people nervous. Truth be told, it still made him nervous. But at least now he was less tired. And dizzy.

Hopefully Santos wouldn't mind much, if the ending of their duel had been any indication. Nice enough fellow, deserving of a present. Leander hedged he'd gotten a good one. The other boy's interests weren't too difficult to figure out. Taking another bite of his cookie, he shifted the parcel under his arm and looked for the one maintained a tan even despite the wintery weather.

Some people are just meant to be in the same story;

Joy Detora

(12/21/2013 at 18:13)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Joy hesitantly entered the main hall. She looked around for the girl named Eleanor Nettleyew that she was giving her present to.

Would Ellie like it? After all, she didn't know that much about her, just that she was about her age.

She clutched the little package of chocolates to her chest and glanced around the room again. She walked forward and started searching. Deciding to give up for a moment, she snatched a cookie from the table and continued looking.

There! A girl her age, talking to an older boy with grey eyes. She pushed through the crowd towards them.

« Last Edit: 12/21/2013 at 18:18 by Joy Detora »
i'm laughing, i'm crying
it's my party, and i'll cry if i want to
it feels like i'm d y i n g

Samantha Carlisle

(12/21/2013 at 23:29)
  • Second Year
  • C2 D3 T2 S1
    • View Profile
 There had been a secret Santa exchange sign-up but after a week of the stupid cold weather in June and July, Samantha was in no mood to exchange gifts. This was supposed to be the best summer ever,  away from her mean old governess, but the messed up weather put a halt to that. Summer meant swimming, exploring, hiking, and boating not ice skating and snowball fights.  This was dumb.
So why was she at this ridiculous dance? Samantha hated dancing and being forced into fancy ball dresses that were as comfortable as as bed of hot spikes and burning coals and venomous snakes. Not th hat she had ever slept on that stuff, but it HAD to be as bad as stupid ball gowns in her mind. So why here now? Simply because she was bored out of her skull.

She looked around aimlessly as she tried to spot someone she knew and rolled her eyes at the line ch or so called Santa Claus. She may be immature in many regards, but she was not so pathetic to actually believe in Santa Claus like apparently a lot of the younger kids at camp dud.

She simply sighed as she made her way toward the drinks and smoothed out her awful blue velvet dress with gold accents. It was pretty and expensive, her dress but she  hated it and grumbled when her mother brought it back from a Paris trip when she went to meet Samantha's dad while he was on a business trip there.

Imagination rules the world.
--Napoleon Bonaparte

Joy Detora

(12/24/2013 at 14:55)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Joy continued pushing. There was a gay atmosphere to this place, with all the bright streamers and the gifts being passed around.

She paused when she saw the other girl. "Hi Ellie." She said. "My name's Joy. I got you a present. I hope you like it." If she finished this fast enough, maybe she could get this whole thing over with and enjoy herself.

After all, why waste perfectly good cookies, right?
i'm laughing, i'm crying

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/24/2013 at 15:16)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Ellie jumped as a voice tore her out of her reverie. She had been cruising around the buffet, snipping a treat then and when and nibbling on carrot sticks, trying to forget the Secret Santa humiliation. That she would receive a present herself had been completely driven from her mind.

"Hi Ellie. My name's Joy." a small girl said and Ellie turned around as if in trance, from too much staring and chewing. Then, pulling herself back into reality, she laughed. "I know you're Joy!" she giggled. After the episode in the forest, how could she forget the girl's name? Especially when she had such a nice name.

"I got you a present. I hope you like it." Joy said and Ellie's face lit up. "Really?" she said, even though not expecting a negative answer. "So cool!" she chirped happily. She shook her head a little to get rid of her absence of mind and clapped her hands excitedly. "What is it?"
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Joy Detora

(12/24/2013 at 15:21)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy smiled. So Ellie did remember her! "Find out for yourself." She said, and handed over the little box of chocolates. There were white chocolates inside because they were her favourites, and she hoped Ellie would like chocolate too.

The table had a few carrot sticks on it, and Joy frowned. Those carrot sticks hurt your teeth like hell if you bit them the wrong way. She settled for a cookie.

"This food is great!" She mentioned.

Loyalty, Labor, Love

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/25/2013 at 10:13)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Ellie took the present with a wide grin and opened it expectantly. It smelled like chocolate, that was a good start! She tore the wrapping impatiently to find herself face to face... with a bow of white chocolates. She stared at the bow for a few seconds and then looked up to Joy with a slightly forced smile. "Thanks, I love chocolate!" she said, not quite convincingly.

She did love chocolate, that was for sure. Generally she loved every kind of sweets or treats and could eat them at any time in any quantities. Only, she liked milk chocolate. White chocolate and black chocolate were mutually too sweet and too bitter. Her little brother, Félix, was very fond of white chocolate - maybe she'd give it to him. But not looking happy when you got a present was very mean and impolite, so she smiled.

"Yes, you're right. It's not quite as good as Hogwarts kitchens, but it's still good!" She observed Joy pick out a cookie and imitated her. She hadn't tasted those yet. She bit into it and a smile spread on her face. "Shooo good." she chirped, with her mouth full.

Mahatma Gandhi

James Elliot

(12/25/2013 at 15:16)
  • Ickle Firstie
  • C1D0T2S1
    • View Profile
When James entered the Main Hall, it was already full of chatting, dancing, eating, gift-exchanging, moving people. The crowd was so dense that he could barely make out the buffet and the slightly bored-looking Santa Claus in a corner.

With panicked eyes, he tried to take in every detail that the stacked room seemed to throw at him: sounds, colours, movements, odours. The association of red and white might have been the original objective of a Christmasy atmosphere, but the multi-coloured dresses and robes of the campers created a chromatic cacophony of whirling tones and pigments. The fragrances from the different foods mixed themselves in the air, with a slight tinge of sweat and human body heat that were drowned out by the sugary smells.

The twelve year-old boy ran his hand through his maize-coloured hair, trying to spot a known face in the ever-moving crowd. Not that he minded talking to new people of course, but he felt tired by the whirl of it all and searched for an anchor to rest on. He remained standing near the entrance for a good ten minutes, observing the people passing, feeling as if his lunch would break free if he opened his mouth. He was completely overwhelmed, and couldn't quite comprehend why, but jumping into the crowd like he would usually do seemed like a very bad idea.

Finally, he spotted a chestnut-coloured head near a table where food piled up like there was no tomorrow. He hesitated for the fraction of a second and then slowly made his way towards his friend. Ellie seemed to be talking to a younger girl who was on Team Tinsel like him. If he remembered correctly, she must be called Joy... or Happiness or a name of that kind.

As he drew neared, he ran his hand over his features to relax them and forced himself to smile. He wasn't going to make Ellie feel bad for him, and she was always so easily fooled any way. Dear Ellie. With a sunny grin, he finally reached the girls, who seemed to be exchanging presents. "Hey Ellie, Joy." he said cheerfully.

Then he looked at Ellie's present and his smile widened slightly. Ellie didn't like white chocolate, and apparently she was trying to hide it. Too bad she was such a weak liar. Maybe he should try and teach her how it worked one day or the other.
What does the world have for me to take and keep?

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/25/2013 at 15:34)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Just as the situation was turning out to be awkward, James made his way through the crowd and joined them. Ellie smiled brightly at him, both because she was happy to see him and because his smile was contagious.

"Hey Ellie, Joy." he said and Ellie threw Joy a questioning look. the last time she had spoken to the girl she hadn't known who James was. But then, he probably already knew the names of every single person at camp even without having talked to them. Because he was Jamie. "Jaaaaames!" she chirped. "Where where you until now?"

Since James had started living at her house she had gotten used to his presence and even if he wasn't on her team, she liked to know what he did and where he went. It was even better than having a twin brother. (And he brought her sweets, that was definitely a plus.)

Mahatma Gandhi

Joy Detora

(12/25/2013 at 20:11)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy's features turned into confusion. How did this boy even know her name? She waved her hand. "Hi."

She decided not to bring it up, but she could see already that Ellie didn't exactly like white chocolate. She decided to be a slightly better liar then she was and act like nothing had happened. "You're the boy that got hit in the face during the Prank Wars, right?" She said.

He had been next to her when it happened. She hadn't made the connection until now.
« Last Edit: 12/25/2013 at 20:36 by Joy Detora »
i'm laughing, i'm crying

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/25/2013 at 20:43)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Seeing that Joy seemed rather confused, Ellie couldn't help but grin. It really was just James trying to learn everyone's names. He was trying so hard to be friends with everyone that it amused her. But she also admired him, because he managed so much better than her.

Steeling another cookie, she filled her mouth, now finally at ease. Especially since Joy didn't seem to have noticed the fact that she didn't like white chocolate. The girl must be fooled easily, she figured.

"Hi. You're the boy that got hit in the face during the Prank Wars, right?" Joy suddenly asked and Ellie snorted. This made her choke on her cookie and started coughing violently. With tearing eyes, she caught herself, still laughing. "Yep, that's him!" she said shrilly, her cheeks crimson and eyes twinkling.

Mahatma Gandhi

Joy Detora

(12/25/2013 at 20:51)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy started laughing along with Ellie, though she slightly worried that Ellie would choke on her cookie.

She plucked another cookie from the plate and offered it to the boy. "Here." She said. He had yet to take a cookie from the tray.

Joy grinned. "Great job looking for danger there." She said sarcastically. With her eyes, she tried to ask a silent question. Is Ellie a bad liar, or is it me? She hoped that in so doing, Ellie didn't think she had zoned out or something.
you may be good looking
but you're not a piece of art

James Elliot

(12/25/2013 at 21:38)
  • Ickle Firstie
  • C1D0T2S1
    • View Profile
"Jaaaaames! Where where you until now?" Ellie said and James grinned at her welcome.

All right, maybe he wasn't in the mood for such enthusiasm and he would prefer if the music was turned a little quieter so as to not worsen the headache he was starting to develop. But that wasn't a reason not to play along so he laughed. "I was talking to someone else, over there." he told her, pointing a vague direction. "Not having signed up for Secret Santa doesn't mean I won't go and meet the people I haven't talked to yet." This was true in theory. Just not tonight.

"Hi. You're the boy that got hit in the face during the Prank Wars, right?" said Joy and he looked at her with surprise. Then he laughed. She didn't seem to know who he was, but that didn't really matter. "So sorry," he said with a wide grin, "I'm James Elliot. I'm on you Team so I thought you might have seen me around - and apparently you have! Since you remember that I got hit in the face by a snowball!" He threw her a mischievous look, his ears only slightly red.

Ellie's reaction only amused him further and her patted her back as she chocked on whatever she was eating. "Catch yourself." he mutter with sparkling eyes. When Joy joined her in her laughter, he shook his head in despair, a wide smile on his lips.

Then - "Here." Joy said, handing him a cookie. He took it, running his other hand through his hair. "Thanks!" he answered brightly and bit into the pastry. "Great job looking for danger there." Joy said sarcastically and he grinned. "Definitely!"

Then he noticed her eyes. Apparently she was trying to tell him something without Ellie noticing and he nibbled joyfully on his cookie, trying to guess what she wanted. Was it about the present? Maybe she wanted to know if Ellie really liked the present... He shook his head slightly in answer.

Joy Detora

(12/25/2013 at 22:04)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy was smiling so hard her cheeks might break. She felt really happy here, teasing people, and just being social.

Joy's eyes widened. Assuming he had gotten her message properly, Ellie was a great liar! Joy had always thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to be sweet. She decided that since she didn't know if James could actually read messages, it was probably that Ellie didn't like her present.

Joy sincerely hoped now that Ellie didn't think she was crazy. She probably looked like she was staring at James. She made her features as normal again and started her classic introduction, remixed. "What house do you want to be in?"
i'm laughing, i'm crying

Naomi Mary Watson

(12/26/2013 at 05:51)
  • Lawyer
  • C14D9T11S12
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Apple Blossom - Most Promising ['42-'43] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Instead of 'Santa' replying, it was his helper that did so. And it was quite inappropriate. Naomi raised her brows briefly, looking rather unamused about the girl's intervention. What was she cutting in for? Did she have a thing for 'Santa' or something? Hrmph ... The brunette got herself off 'Santa's' lap and stared at the other girl. Might as well set things straight.

"Ok, one ... I have no relationship with Saint Nick. And two ... you're the one being rude with your interruption. No wonder he's in such a bad mood, having to put up with you." Might as well be blunt and spill out the whole thing. Naomi was quite ready to defend herself physically too, if the other girl would be so crazy to appeal to her fists instead of her mouth. The American's gaze shifted towards 'Santa' for a few moments. "Remember my request ... If you feel up to it, of course."

After which she departed towards the buffet. She was a bit hungry, after all that nonsense. Naomi found herself between two boys (Leander and Diego) at the table, while grabbing hold of a cookie. Which was actually delicious ... "Good evening, gentlemen." The brunette wasn't sure either of them was deserving of that appellative, but she wanted to show she was polite. Considering she had just been called 'rude', when it hadn't been the case.
« Last Edit: 12/31/2013 at 05:14 by Naomi Mary Watson »
Naomi Watson. Deal with it.

* Lilith Carlisle

(12/27/2013 at 15:12)
  • Slytherin '43
  • C8D7T8S6
    • View Profile
The Ricardi did not celebrate Christmas.

Yet she couldn't help but to be fascinated by a holiday dedicated to celebrating the birth of some sort of saviour through giving presents and being together. She knew so little of it, and so her eyes followed the little details of the decoration with care, taking in everything - because she knew these traditions were unwanted, and she knew that she needed to analyse it down to its innermost core in order to be able to criticise it, should it become necessary to do so.

She had considered purple, but she preferred pale colours, so she had allowed herself to be draped in silver instead. Women should never steal too much attention. She knew she didn't look too bad, but she was not the center of this party and she would not pretend to be. In her ears glittered diamonds framed by white gold, and only a fool would look at her without spotting the elegance, the lightness with which she placed one foot in front of the other, high heels never threatening her balance.

She could glide though the room like a ghost, for she had grown up being one, and she'd perform her acts perfectly.

It seemed to be the younger years scattered about the Hall. Some exchanged gifts. She'd heard of the sign-ups for secret friends, but being who she was, Lilith held no interest in exchanging gifts, and it was not the way in which to make friends. With all of this secrecy she could have ended up with a muggleborn too, God forbid.

It soon became very clear that she didn't really know anyone though. Medea was nowhere close, and Estella was not in immediate view. There were some people that she recognised though, by name - Lilly, Litchfield, Ellwood-Luxe - and she ended up standing by the food, observing the girl with her mince pie.
shine bright like a diamond ♢

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/29/2013 at 16:27)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
"Catch yourself." Ellie stuck her tongue out at James, unable to keep herself from smiling. "Shut up!" she chirped.

Then, something seemed to pass between the two others and Ellie looked at them with wonder. They seemed to be attempting telepathy - or at least Joy seemed to try, and James looked like he was having fun but not seriously considering the matter. She shrugged. If they wanted to play that game, then she could try too. Intently, she looked at James, trying to pass a message on to him. If you like apples, then scratch your arm! she commanded silently.

"What House do you want to be in? Joy asked him and Ellie smirked. "Oh, riiight, you're gonna be in the year below me!" she said contemptuously. "I had forgotten." She giggled. James was her age, but his first year at Salem apparently didn't allow him to enter Hogwarts as a Second Year.

Mahatma Gandhi

Joy Detora

(12/29/2013 at 16:31)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy tilted her head in confusion. Were James and Ellie the same age or something? "Did you transfer?" She asked. She couldn't reconcile an image of James at Beauxbatons, seeing as he wasn't prim at all.

Then again, Samantha wasn't either. She took a piece of chocolate cake and started eating. No point wasting the heavenly food at the Camp.

"The food here is great. I hope the Castle kitchen's House Elves are as good as the House Elves here." she said between mouthfuls.
you may be good looking
but you're not a piece of art

James Elliot

(12/29/2013 at 16:35)
  • Ickle Firstie
  • C1D0T2S1
    • View Profile
James laughed and pushed Ellie sidewards out of vengeance. "I'm trying to car for you you ungrateful girl!"

Then she started staring at him as if she was trying to read his mind and he laughed nervously under her unblinking gaze. "Stop it Ellie." he said.

"What house do you want to be in?" Joy asked. Ellie's reaction to that statement made him blush and he threw her a slightly hurt look. His first year at Salem had been so bad that he hadn't progressed at all in magic, but that was for a reason! She was just too tactless to understand. He shrugged it off and laughed with her. "I know, I know. Don't remind me." he said playfully. "And I don't really know which House I want to be in yet..." he told Joy.

"Did you transfer?" Joy asked and he nodded mournfully. Moving away from his mother had been... difficult. Not that Joy needed to know that. He grinned at her and said: "I was at Salem last year. I suppose I was too stupid to pass though." He laughed merrily.

Joy Detora

(12/29/2013 at 16:39)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy frowned. "Salem? I went to America for a year, but I have to say, I think I like saying mum more then mom." she said. It had been a bit hard to get used to that.

Didn't know? He had it easy. She was fretting over all the tiny nuances that characterized the houses and trying to figure out what she wanted.

She really wanted to be in Gryffindor, but she didn't know if since she was decent at lying that the Hat would put her in Slytherin, which was the antithesis of Gryffindor.

Was Ellie trying telepathy too now?

Loyalty, Labor, Love

Tags: