As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: Round 1 Duel 1: Marlowe vs. Focoso vs. Hopland  (Read 1203 times)

Vincenzo Nicolosi

(12/09/2013 at 19:18)
  • Adult
  • C18D12T17S15
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner!
    • View Profile
Nothing too out of the ordinary when it came to the field. It was a dueling ring in the middle of the forest. Plenty of trees, snow, and nature to do whatever the duelers liked (within the rules of course).

Kristoffer gave a yawn as he walked towards the middle of the field. Looking at the duelers before sighing and giving a shrug, "Be interesting." That was his advice to the duelists. Unlikely, but still it would be nice to be out in the cold for a reason than just watching people fling spells at each other.

He gave a nod to each of them, "Bow, then begin."

((You may only use  one  Disarming Action in this duel. If you have questions, please feel free to ask via PM or the chat. Do not include OOC talk in the duel.))

Round 1 of 7

Percy Marlowe - 75%

vs.

Andrea Focoso - 60%

vs

Lucille Hopland - 80%
« Last Edit: 12/09/2013 at 19:20 by Kristoffer Carlisle »
I've got to think twice before I give my heart away
and i know all the games you play because i play them too

Andrea Focoso

(12/09/2013 at 20:01)
Andrea had been anticipating this, the first duel of the summer, and now that it was upon her, she found herself facing two opponents. Interesting. It wasn't the first time she'd dueled two people though so the thought didn't keep with her for long.

The ring was nothing out of the ordinary, a simple ring like it had been last summer, the abundance of crisp white snow the only marked difference between the two. It could come in useful at some point, the snow but she wouldn't deal with that for now.

She lifted her chin haughtily as she turned, once more, to examine her fellow duelists.

Carlisle was their referee it seemed and, at his command, she bowed to her two opponents, after stifling a snort of derision at his order to be interesting. Entertainment, that was what they were here to serve as.

Andrea didn't particularly care.

Her wand was out soon afterwards and she acted quickly. Pointing her wand at Lucille, she murmured, "Petrificus Totalus", hoping that her first attack would be successful. The boy didn't trouble her for now; she'd deal with him later.

Percy Marlowe

(12/09/2013 at 23:20)
Duelling was going to be out-standing, he could feel it in his bones. There was nothing like throwing spells around and watching them hit other people and it was exciting and fun and not at all barbaric like Gaz kept saying. Percy jumped up and down eagerly waiting for things to begin.

"Be interesting."

Percy glanced at the referee, wondering what sort of advice that was. If they weren't interesting would some sort of dragon come down and eat all of their heads? If it didn't then there wasn't much of a point in being interesting. Besides, Percy was always interesting. Gaz was the one who was boring b-o-r-i-n-g.

"Bow, then begin."

He made two low bows, one arm to his stomach, the way he'd seen it done in the movies. It was all very regal and it was all very exciting.

Immediately after he'd bowed one of the girls was already attacking and Percy was momentarily stunned. That was fast f-a-s-t. Well, if she was going to be fast he could be fast too. Quickly he scanned the faces of his two opponents. The first girl was a lot older and he supposed a lot stronger, but the second girl was Lucille, and they'd met before, and he kind of liked her because she was fun.

That decided it, then. "Petrificus Totalus," he said, aiming at the first girl (Andrea). Then expectantly he waited, wondering if Lucille would attack him or whether she'd be sensible. He hoped she'd be sensible. Although he wasn't sensible half the time really.

* Lucille Hopland

(12/10/2013 at 04:46)
  • Owner of Pot & Pantry
  • C9D14T11S5
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Prefect Pick! Most Likely to Snog You ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Superlative Winner - Most Swift Amaryllis - Most Dramatic ['42-'43] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
Duelling was a tricky thing. It wasn't as lenient as Quidditch where a few fouls here and there could go unseen--no way. They were constantly being watched and a single foot out of line meant game-over.

It was fun though, and she could run around doing random things all in the name of the game and no one would question her. They should know by now how she dueled, anyway. Odd, sporadic, and not always logical. She relied on instinct more than anything during these fights and where she should've been implementing some of the skills she'd been practicing, or even logical thinking, she didn't. And she had yet to learn the difference between a wizard's duel and an actual fight.

Because that's what she did.

She fought using her body and if given the chance to cast a spell, she always hesitated. Not only because she was rubbish with her wand under pressure, but because she knew she'd have a better chance at throwing a rock at her opponent and having it hit rather than a spell.

Some people found the way she dueled peculiar, but to her it was creative-ly intelligent. It was new.

Speaking of new, Lucille cast a wary eye over her opponents. She recognized both instantly. One being her cabin-mate and the other a fellow musketeer. Or what would soon be a musketeer. She wasn't really sure about him quite yet. Though he did know how to put up a good adventure.

"Bow, then begin."

She bowed quickly and drew her wand. Sending Percy a sly smile, she pivoted on her feet so she faced the other girl, Andrea, more directly, pointed her wand at the girl's feet and shouted, "Commutati Acutus shoes!"
we're getting close now, don't turn away.
IT'S THE START OF A NEW DAY

Vincenzo Nicolosi

(12/11/2013 at 07:29)
  • Adult
  • C18D12T17S15
    • View Profile
A1: Andrea attempts to cast Petrificus Totalus at Lucille. Fail! Her wand gives a fizzle and a pop in response.

A2: Percy attempts to cast Petrificus Totalus at Andrea. Fail! His wand sends out a puff of smoke.

A3: Lucille attempts to cast Commutati Acutus at Andrea's shoes. Success! Andrea takes 6% Damage.

Round 2 of 7

Percy Marlowe - 75%

vs.

Andrea Focoso - 54%, -2 Resistance

vs.

Lucille Hopland - 80%

Andrea Focoso

(12/11/2013 at 16:34)
Nothing.

Andrea frowned at her wand and banged it against her leg. Daft old thing.

Her wand had been a hand-me-down and she was eager, once she moved to London, to get her own, one that had chosen her as both of her parents' wands had chosen them.

She wanted the wand to feel right in her hand...not...content.

Muttering under her breath in a stream-line of French, she tried again, lifting her wand as if it was an insult to have to do so...but the other girl was casting. Sharp pain in her feet and Andrea yelped in an undignified manner that did not befit her.

She glared at the girl.

Her wand swooped from pointing at the boy back to Lucille and she tried once again, "Expelliarmus!" It was murmured fiercely, golden eyes flashing slightly. It might only be a summer duel but she viewed them as training exercises.

Andrea did not like losing...but she had done so. Gracefully even.

That didn't mean she liked it.

Percy Marlowe

(12/11/2013 at 23:56)
This was not at all fun. Percy sniffed and waved his wand around uselessly. Surely something should've happened but it was not and he was miffed. At least Gaz wasn't around to laugh at him.

Robbie quivered and Percy was not sure whether he was laughing at him or whether he was just being a coward. As usual. Sometimes Percy wondered if Rob would make a better pet for Gaz. He certainly seemed the sort who liked to sit in and read books.

At least Luce was on his side. He returned her smile with a rather more exuberant one, because he didn't know how to do sly.

"Petrificus totalus," he said again, aiming at tall girl (Andrea). If it didn't work this time he'd poke her in the eye with his sword instead.

* Lucille Hopland

(12/12/2013 at 00:29)
  • Owner of Pot & Pantry
  • C9D14T11S5
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Prefect Pick! Most Likely to Snog You ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Superlative Winner - Most Swift Amaryllis - Most Dramatic ['42-'43] Duelling Finalist
    • View Profile
Wait.

What?

Lucille gaped at her wand incredulously, the maple wood humming in her grasp. She couldn't believe it. For all that she'd tried during the school year to make at least one spell work during a duel, it'd always failed. Always. She couldn't think of a single time a spell had worked so efficiently and right off the bat, too.

She didn't know what this sudden revelation meant, but there was no way she was going to let the opportunity to flex her increase in skill pass by her.

"Percy, cover me," diving for the snow, the redhead squirmed around for a few seconds trying to dislodge the few pieces of ice that slid into some uncomfortable places, and then sat up, "I've got a plan!"

Pocketing her wand, she reached both hands out to gather all the snow closest to her, rolling the large clumps into a single ball. Her hands were starting to go numb from the cold--not that she'd realized. She was too busy patting the sides firmly and filling in what little gaps she could find so it wouldn't fall apart.

"I'm almost done!"

Vincenzo Nicolosi

(12/13/2013 at 08:59)
  • Adult
  • C18D12T17S15
    • View Profile
A1: Andrea attempts to cast Expelliarmus at Lucille. Success! 6% Damage.

A2: Percy attempts to cast Petrificus Totalus at Andrea. Fail! His wand continues to smoke.

A3: Lucille starts making a ball of snow. Success! She now has a ball of snow.

(Note: When performing physical actions, please specify modifiers for that action.)

Round 3 of 7

Percy Marlowe - 75%

vs.

Andrea Focoso - 54%

vs.

Lucille Hopland - 74%. Disarmed, must use physical actions to retrieve wand.

SLYTHERIN
don't tempt me

Andrea Focoso

(12/14/2013 at 02:16)
Ha!

Andrea watched with a gleeful expression as the girl's wand went flying out of her hand though she seemed to be more focused on the snow than on her lack of wand. No matter...it seemed as if they were teaming up against her anyway.

And she didn't fancy getting hit with the snow, if she was to be the target.

Her wand was up again, pointing towards Lucille and, more specifically, towards the ball of snow in her hand. "Incendio!" She muttered; maybe it would hurt the girl...just a bit. Andrea had no desire to scar anyone.

Percy's spell hadn't worked so for the moment, the golden-eyed girl was content to let him struggle with his wand. If he became a problem, it would be a bit harder to focus on two opponent both intent on making her the loser in this.

But only one could win anyway.

Vincenzo Nicolosi

(12/14/2013 at 09:08)
  • Adult
  • C18D12T17S15
    • View Profile
A1 - Andrea attempts to cast Incendio at Lucille. Fail! Her wand decides to give a low whine instead.

Round 4 of 7

Percy Marlowe - 75%, round missed, 2 rounds until forfeit.

vs.

Andrea Focoso - 54%

vs.

Lucille Hopland - 74%, Round missed, 2 until forfeit. Disarmed, must use physical actions to retrieve wand.

Percy Marlowe

(12/14/2013 at 13:23)
He couldn't do anything. Percy crossed his arms and pouted.

Robbie wasn't being any help at all, just shivering there in his pocket. Perhaps Robbie could go and bite the girl, but Robbie wouldn't even bite a carrot.

Perhaps the wand guy had given him the wrong w-r-o-n-g wand. Perhaps he was in the wrong sport and Quidditch was much easier and much more meant for him. Perhaps he just wasn't cut out for dueling.

He bet Gaz was. Gaz was cut out for anything. 'Cept hiking in the snow and getting dirty.

Everyone's wand was whining w-h-i-n-i-n-g.

He'd try again then. Percy levelled his wand at Andrea and said "wingardium leviosa". Maybe if he tried another spell it'd work.

Andrea Focoso

(12/14/2013 at 16:57)
Another failed spell.

Andrea huffed and glared at her wand as if the golden fire in her eyes would make the thing work better. She swished it through the air a few times and then frowned again, gripping it tighter.

At least she wasn't the only one having problems.

Turning her wand on the boy this time, Andrea shook her head and said, "Petrificus Totalus!" Better to treat both her opponents fairly than have Lucille be the focus of all her ire.

Besides, all the boy had done, though he hadn't had much luck, was cast at her anyway. It was about time that she returned the favor. And if it didn't work, again, she'd press on regardless...she always did.

* Lucille Hopland

(12/15/2013 at 07:33)
  • Owner of Pot & Pantry
  • C9D14T11S5
    • View Profile
The spell had definitely hit her in the head. There was no way she had just zoned out as hard as she did without getting hit in the head. No way. No way at all.

(Then why was her hand tingling so much from the after-effect of the spell?)

Lucille shook the offending wrist out, a scowl slowing seeping across her face. Had she been somewhere other than in the middle of a duel, she wouldn't have questioned her lack of attention as much. It was the norm for her and it drove her friends insane, but the fact that she was in the middle of a duel and could've gotten seriously hurt from not paying attention scared her. And she didn't like feeling scared. Not one bit.

Even as she berated herself for not paying attention, there she sat in the middle of the block, covered in snow, and a slight frown on her face as her opponents decked it out a few feet away. She completely missed (again) when Andrea turned her wand back to face her and was looking around for her own Maple wood when she'd attempted to cast another spell. Thank Merlin it missed.

She didn't need the back of her head to be on fire quite yet, thank you very much.

Spotting her wand flung carelessly into a pile of snow, Lucille lunged for it with a cry. [rearm] "I've got it!" Probably not the best idea seeing as now Andrea had an open lane and could aim at her again. It wouldn't have been the first time she went for an unarmed opponent, either.

Vincenzo Nicolosi

(12/15/2013 at 09:29)
  • Adult
  • C18D12T17S15
    • View Profile
A1 - Percy attempts to cast Wingardium Leviosa at Andrea. Fail. His wand sputters.

A2 - Andrea attempts to cast Petrificus Totalus at Percy. Success! 3% Damage.

A3 - Lucille made a dive for her wand. Success! Her wand is now in her hands.

Round 5 of 7

Percy Marlowe - 72%, -1 Velocity.

vs.

Andrea Focoso - 54%, May act twice.

vs.

Lucille Hopland - 74%

SLYTHERIN
don't tempt me

Andrea Focoso

(12/15/2013 at 18:52)
She watched her success with a pleased smile, seeing as it struck the younger boy, giving her more time and making him that much less of a danger. She remembered her first duel and how horrible that had gone.

Seemed as if things were looking up now.

But she was still going to lose...probably.

Pointing her wand at Lucille this time, she tried the same spell she had with Percy, "Petrificus Totalus!" Hopefully this would discourage any further attempts on her while she gathered herself.

Was there anything she could do to help herself and possibly even the odds?

With a sigh she moved her shoulders restlessly, deciding another spell would be her best bet. Keeping her wand steady on Lucille, she muttered, "Commutati Acutus!" aiming for the younger girl's legs. That should be enough of a distraction...for the moment.

* Lucille Hopland

(12/15/2013 at 22:00)
  • Owner of Pot & Pantry
  • C9D14T11S5
    • View Profile
Once her fingers curled around the wood of her Curly Maple wand, Lucille jumped to her feet in indignation, a deep frown on her face.

The girl had dared to go after Percy. Of all people she had to choose Percy! She tried not to spend too much time on the fact that the girl didn't have many options to work with. It was either the boy or herself, but she'd rather Andrea go for her than Perce. The poor boy couldn't even get his wand to work.

"Hey, leave him alone!"

Spurred on by the need to defend her friend, Lucy pointed her wand at Andrea, give it a little twirl, then said, "Commuta…" Only to trail off at the end, her arm drooping from its upright casting position.

The girl had been throwing the same spells left and right the whole duel, and the only one Lucille managed to cast out was a typical Transfiguration one. Maybe it was time to mix it up? The girl would never see it coming--hopefully.

Pointing her wand at Andrea again, she called out loud and clear, "Illusione di aria!"

Percy Marlowe

(12/15/2013 at 22:40)
Percy was, in all honestly, absolutely miserable. This was not how he'd envisioned duelling at all. It was supposed to have been a lot more fun than this. Spells were supposed to fly around, he was supposed to dodge attacks, things were supposed to happen.

Now he had a smoking stick of a wand, he couldn't move, and he didn't know what on earth was going on.

Gaz would laugh.

"Hey, leave him alone!"

Percy grinned half-heartedly at Lucille. At least he still had friends, even if this wasn't working out at all. And it wasn't over yet, right? Right?

"Hell yes," Percy said to himself suddenly, because it wasn't over till a fat lady did something, and Percy didn't see any fat ladies in sight, so he picked up a handful of snow and flung it at Andrea, hoping that it'd hit her in the face [damage] and give him time to think of something else to do [act twice].

Perhaps from here on out he'd stick to Quidditch.

Vincenzo Nicolosi

(12/16/2013 at 02:40)
  • Adult
  • C18D12T17S15
    • View Profile
A1 - Andrea attempts to cast Petrificus totalus at Lucille. Success! 8% Damage.

A2 - Andrea attempts to cast commutati Acutus at Lucille's Legs - VOID (Must cast commutati acutus at objects in contact with opponent, such as clothing)

A3 - Lucille attempts to cast Illusione di Aria at Andrea. Fail. Her wand gives out a hiss instead.

A4 - Percy attempts to throw some snow at Andrea. He misses, the snow falling short of its target.

Round 6 of 7

Percy Marlowe - 72%

vs.

Andrea Focoso - 54%, May act twice.

vs.

Lucille Hopland - 66%, -1 Velocity.
ΨƬȠ
SLYTHERIN

rise above.

Andrea Focoso

(12/16/2013 at 02:46)
"Hey, leave him alone!"

Andrea lifted an eyebrow at the younger girl's yell, pursing her lips. "I'll do no such thing. That isn't the point." She explained. Demonstrating, after a brief smile for her previous successful spells, she pointed her wand at Percy and murmured, "Incendio."

That should teach him to throw snow at her!

Never mind that it hadn't actually hit her.

"Hell yes,"

That startled her and she turned, frowning at the boy...was he talking to himself now? Shaking her head, her wand pointed back at Lucille and, calmly, she said, "Wingardium Leviosa!"

She could build up her chances to attack and maybe she'd come out of this relatively sustained. She might not win since such things were not based on spell success but, hey, at least she knew she'd done well.

But she didn't have to like it.

Tags: