As always, don't forget to vote!

Author Topic: 'Welcome to Camp Loki' Campfire! | (OPEN TO ALL CAMPERS)  (Read 2121 times)

Aubrey Kedding

(12/01/2013 at 03:57)
  • Adult
  • C16 D9 T13 S12
  • Donor
    • View Profile
First Day of Camp, Summer 1940
Dusk

After checking in campers all morning in the Main Hall, Aubrey had spent the better part of the afternoon collecting wood and kindle for tonight's bonfire.  It was a yearly tradition, having a campfire on the first night of camp, and a tradition that Aubrey was excited to continue even with the change in weather.

She probably could have used magic to summon most of the wood and small kindle, but she found actually found walking around in the woods collecting it herself to be rather peaceful.  Besides, she wasn't entirely alone.  She brought along one of the husky dogs to pull a sleigh on which she placed the firewood, and he owl Apollo decided to come along for the trip as well.

Back on Team Tinsel's playground, about 200 yards away from the Old Boathouse, Aubrey arranged the wood very carefully.  The longer and thicker pieces of wood were piled on top while the kindle was tucked nested neatly underneath.  A flick of her wand and a quick Incendio aimed toward the kindle got the fire started, and within minutes a soft, orange glow erupted casting dancing shadows on the outside walls of the Old Boathouse.

It wouldn't be long before the campers began to arrive.  Aubrey quickly ran around adjusting the log seating to make sure that the seating was appropriately distanced away from the fire and arranged the snack table or the umpteenth time to ensure that there was enough Butterbeer, hot chocolate, and food to go around.

Grabbing a hot chocolate in one hand, Aubrey took a brief moment to take a seat on one of the logs until some of the campers started to arrive.
'Cause I am a CHAMPION and
LOUDER THAN A LION
You're gonna hear me roar

Joy Detora

(12/01/2013 at 12:20)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Joy ran all the way to the old boathouse, making sure to check herself at the end so as not to crash into the fire. She saw the snack table, and grabbed some hot chocolate.

After looking around, she sat on one of the logs. She turned to the person next to her and said "Hi. I'm Joy from Team Tinsel. What about you?" She waited for the person to respond.

* Anastasia Borovsky

(12/01/2013 at 12:59)
  • On The Run
  • C4 D6 T5 S4
  • ['45-'46] Quidditch Champions [1945] Superlative Winner Most Likely to End Up in Azkaban ['43-'44] Prefect Pick!
    • View Profile
Anastasia happily trudged through the snow to reach the Boathouse in time for the bonfire. The scenery was lovely and she wanted to take it all in, especially since it reminded her of her home in Russia which was often covered in snow but always so warm and cosey on the inside.

Once she arrived, she instantly wandered over to the snack table and gently picked up a mug of hot cocoa before returning to the small group of people who had already turned up.  There was a tall girl with pretty hair and dark skin who looked quite friendly, and a young girl who seemed a bit too excitable for her liking.

Despite really wanting to, Anastasia was never fantastic at making friends. Grandmama had always told her she was strange looking and almost corpse like due to what seemed like the lack of emotion. Apparently it scared people.

Ana usually retorted by sticking out her tongue before being sent to the corner to say ten Hail Mary's or if the woman was feeling really dramatic she made the young girl confess to her sins in Church the following Sunday.

It was time to prove Grandmama wrong, she decided. One way or another.

"Privet," She greeted in Russian, before returning to English, "I'm Anastasia."

She suddenly remembered that when meeting new people she was supposed to smile because that was the polite thing to do. Her mouth quickly curved slightly and she relaxed her posture a bit, hoping for the best.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2013 at 13:06 by Anastasia Borovsky »

THE borovsky FAMILY.

And do not fear those who kill
the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather fear him who can destroy
both soul and body in Hell.

Joy Detora

(12/01/2013 at 13:07)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
The other girl, named Anastasia, seemed nice enough. Her smile was a bit strained, but manners often corrupted senses of humor.

Joy smiled a genuine smile. "Hi Anastasia. Are you going to Hogwarts? I want to be in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. What about you?"

She had only asked two people this question, so she wanted to find out more about which house she fit in.

Caroline Whitt

(12/01/2013 at 14:30)
This was going to be an exception to her plan of staying in her tent and hoping this would all go away.  As she was certain that the campfire would be just as warm as the fire in the middle of the icicle tents.  Seriously why couldn't she have drawn a cabin straw.  As the combination of cave, tents and the risk of avalanches was not working for her.

Looking around she quickly grabbed some hot chocolate.  Normally it would have been the butter beer, but coldness trumped yumminess. 

Then she approached the fire and saw two kids about her size.  One was talking houses.  Even last summer prior to herself being sorted she had not really cared which one she was going to get sorted in.  Now that wonder was over, and she felt it sorta worked out decently enough.  Though to be honest unlike some others who complained she was certain any of them could have worked out for her.

With a smirk on her face she approached them and said " Is it your ambition to get in one of those houses? " 

She probably should have introduced herself.  But meh.  After all, she had already overheard one of the names and Ana-whatever seemed hard to pronounce.

* Diego Santos

(12/01/2013 at 14:42)
  • Private 33rd Infantry
  • C11 D8 T11 S8
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Diego had not long settled into his quarters, before he was off in the way to the traditional campfire they held every year on the first night of camp. Trudging through the snow, his scarf firmly fixed around his face and guitar in hand he saw a flicker of orange light in the distance.

Approaching closer, faces became highlighted by the dancing flame. A few others had already arrived, and were talking among themselves as he collected a butterbeer from the stand. Taking a sip from the cup he took a seat on one of the logs that had been arranged around the fire, placing his intrument to one side he stared off deeply into the flickers of red and orange.

His eyes flickered up at the group of younger girls discussing houses on the opposite side. He had the same anticipation as the other girl, it would be his first and last year at Hogwarts and he had no idea where he would be placed. He didn't think he would mind any but Slytherin. They may be perfectly lovely people, but something about that house had never sat right with him.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2013 at 14:45 by Diego Santos »

Joy Detora

(12/01/2013 at 15:02)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy looked up. "Kind of." She replied. Inwardly, she wondered who this girl was. "I'm Joy. What's your name?" She replied.

They looked about the same age, so Joy wasn't going to act polite at all. She sipped her hot cocoa.

"Do they have marshmallows here?" She inquired. She preferred hot cocoa with marshmallows.

She glanced at the snack table.

Loyalty, Labor, Love

* Reagan Lilly

(12/01/2013 at 21:40)
  • Junior Healer - Magical Psychology
  • C10D6T9S5
  • Donor Tiger Lily - Most Proud ['42-'43] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Reagan had been there from the start in the shadows picking at the table full of sweet treats. Her hand clutched a warm hot chocolate drink, as she leaned forward and helped herself to another handful of marshmallows.

"Do they have marshmallows here?"

Reagan watched as the girls eyes snapped up, her gaze fixed on the table. Aprroching forward from the shadowy area that lay behind her range of sight, Reagan held out the bowl of marshmallows as she paced towards the group.

"Did someone say marshmellows?... These are seriously tasty. Here you go." Reagan pushed the bowl in the girls direction.
"Take them then..?" She chuckled, shaking the bowl a little more vigorously.

Joy Detora

(12/01/2013 at 21:49)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Evidently some fairy waited on wishes, for a girl stepped out of the shadows and offered her a bowl of marshmallows.

"Thanks." Joy took a few and dropped it in her cup. This would be much more enjoyable now. "Want to sit with us?" She asked.

It wasn't like lots of others had come yet.

Loyalty, Labor, Love

Caroline Whitt

(12/01/2013 at 21:57)
"I'm Joy. What's your name?"

With a smirk she said " Caroline. "  Then she looked around trying to debate what she was going to eat first.  Taking a sip of her hot chocolate she realized she needed marshmallows in it.

Looking towards Reagan she said " Thanks. "  As she took a couple of marshmallows and put them in her hot chocolate.  This would work out perfectly. 

Looking towards Joy she said " Sit? " rather curiously.  Then with a smirk she said " I'd fetch some sticks and roast us some marshmallows. "  Then she looked towards the two girls she assumed were younger than her and said " Not your wands. "

* Reagan Lilly

(12/01/2013 at 22:02)
  • Junior Healer - Magical Psychology
  • C10D6T9S5
  • Donor Tiger Lily - Most Proud ['42-'43] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Her eyes glanced around at the other girls in the group.
"Sure. Why not?"

Reagan shrugged her shoulders and smiled taking a seat next to the others, crossing her knees and straightening her back to sit like a prim and proper lady. Which was virtually impossible to do on a wooden logg.

"My names Reagan, how about you?" She forced a friendly grin.

Joy Detora

(12/01/2013 at 22:05)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy frowned. Something about Caroline rubbed her the wrong way. "We're not stupid. We know the difference between a wand and a stick."

To Reagan, she said "I'm Joy." Reagan seemed to be having back problems, maybe she was itchy? Coats did that sometimes.

"Are you okay? You seem kind of... weird." She said. Could you come down with back problems this young?

Loyalty, Labor, Love

Samantha Carlisle

(12/01/2013 at 23:50)
  • Second Year
  • C2 D3 T2 S1
    • View Profile
Having expected a summer filled with swimming and boating and other fun things outdoors in the warm temperatures, to say that Samantha was shocked to come to a camp that was literally a Winter Wonderland, and just as cold as one would be an understatement.  What the  bloody hell?  Now with this realization that meant she would have to send all her summer clothes back home to Cumbria to get winter ones!  It was insane, but MIGHT be a little fun.

Because that meant things like warm bonfires, hot chocolate, snowball wars, and snowman building. She'd just have to deal with the cold temperatures by layeirng up until she got her winter clothes sent to her from home.

Even IF it was cold, this was going to tons better than being stuck with her nasty governess all summer.  Thank Merlin for that.  But it also meant she would be away from her dad. So truthfully, Samantha was a bit conflicted in what her thoughts and feelings were going to be at the moment.

Oh well, there was a nice, warm bonfire in the distance, so after having layered up, she made her way to the fire and saw some girls and one boy. Might as well start trying to meet new people, she thought to herself.

"Hi Joy.  It is good to see you, again," Samantha said as she waved discreetly at the unknown girls and boy to be polite.

"May I join you all?"  Samantha asked casually.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2013 at 23:57 by Samantha Carlisle »
Imagination rules the world.
--Napoleon Bonaparte

Joy Detora

(12/02/2013 at 00:19)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy looked up and smiled. Samantha was a girl that she had met back in Diagon Alley. "Sure." Joy moved over for Samantha.

She patted the spot next to her. "Did you bring enough clothes for the snow?" She asked. Lots of people had brought swimsuits because they hadn't known it was snowing. Joy had brought her Hogwarts trunk by accident, which turned out to be a good thing.

Her Hogwarts trunk had plenty of warm clothes for winter, and she knew how to do laundry the muggle way, so she didn't have to worry about the actual winter at Hogwarts.   
i'm laughing, i'm crying
it's my party, and i'll cry if i want to
it feels like i'm d y i n g

Samantha Carlisle

(12/02/2013 at 00:36)
  • Second Year
  • C2 D3 T2 S1
    • View Profile
Samantha smiled gratefully at Joy as she invited Samantha to join.

"Actually, nope, this is really the only outfit that is even remotely warm,"  Samantha replied lightly.

"I know what I'll be doing tonight back at my bunk, packing up all of my summer clothes frantically, writing a letter, and wrapping them in a neat package back to send back to Cumbria by owl, and asking dad to send me my winter clothes!  Are we in the southern hemisphere or something?  It isn't supposed to be cold in the northern hemisphere in June! Where are we exactly? Anyone know?"

And with that Samantha said nothing more as she took the spot Joy had made for Samantha and requested a mug of hot chocolate from the oldest person there who must have been a counselor.

"May I please have a mug of hot chocolate with some marshmallows? Thanks!"

The journey is the reward.  
--Chinese Proverb

Joy Detora

(12/02/2013 at 00:39)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy shook her head. "I never thought about where we were." She replied. She had just flooed from Hogwarts.

"I guess there's some magic on it to make sure that we don't know where it is. It might be dangerous." She replied. They could give it away to some stranger on the street, then Camp would be attacked.

"Also, I'm calling it Swinter. It's summer and winter together." She added.

Loyalty, Labor, Love

Caroline Whitt

(12/02/2013 at 01:28)
Well the others could sit and chat.  She was making marshmallows.  So she quickly jumped over the log and found a really long stick before returning mere moments later with a large stick and a smile.  Then she took another marshmallow and put it on the end of her stick.

"Actually, nope, this is really the only outfit that is even remotely warm," 

She remembered being without proper things.  Even if it happened rather often as Jabari was good at grabbing things that might work, not always about thinking ahead and buying proper things.  Plus there was the time after the warp where all she had was a blanket and was alone on her mountain.

Blinking she looked at Samantha and said " I got some extra things.  I even have a extra full medical type suit that I think is waterproof. "  Or more accurately blood proof, but that was made of water too.

Then she stepped a few steps forward so she could still overhear things and make her marshmallow roasted on the fire.

" Swinter.  That's a good one. "

Joy Detora

(12/02/2013 at 01:31)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
Joy smiled slightly. One second Caroline was being bossy, the next she was being actually kind of nice.

"Thanks. It was one of my counselors' ideas." She mentioned. Elizabeth had been trying to come up with names for the weather.

"A medical suit? That's really interesting. Where did you get it?" She asked. Medical suits, weren't they muggle things?

Loyalty, Labor, Love

Samantha Carlisle

(12/02/2013 at 01:42)
  • Second Year
  • C2 D3 T2 S1
    • View Profile
Samantha liked the name that Joy had come up with, but before she could comment on it, another girl spoke up and offered to share some of her things with Samantha.

That was kind of her, but Samantha was a wee bit apprehensive.  It wasn't that she was a muggleborn hater, a crazy elitist, or anything of that nature, but her father always thought it was best to approach muggleborns a bit differently than purebloods.  They needed to do a bit more to prove trustworthiness.

But she of course didn't say anything or showed it.  Instead, she was incredibly grateful for the offer.

"That is very nice of you, uh, I don't think I ever heard your name, and I might take you up on that offer if my things don't get here tomorrow or the next day. Thank you so much!" Samantha said sincerely.

She smiled as she let Joy make her inquiries.

"My name is Samantha, by the way. And I like the name of Swinter, too."
To know is nothing at all; to imagine is everything.  
--Albert Einstein

Joy Detora

(12/02/2013 at 01:45)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
    • View Profile
"Her name's Caroline." Joy whispered to Samantha. Had she not been here when Caroline introduced herself?

Joy scrunched her eyebrows and thought for a moment. No, Samantha hadn't.

She sipped her cocoa again. Whoever made these knew what hot chocolate was supposed to be. She slowly savoured it.
you may be good looking
but you're not a piece of art

Tags: