Vote for Player of the Summer now!

Author Topic: Infirmary Case Study #1 - Mannerisms  (Read 876 times)

Leander Laskos

(11/24/2013 at 00:47)
  • Adjunct Magical Creatures Sanctuary Administrator
  • C13D5S13T13
  • Superlative Winner - Most Flexible
    • View Profile
Infirmary Case Study #1
Mannerisms

Today was the first call of duty for the new Infirmary recruits.

Entering the solitary cabin, the beds were empty but at the back of the room your Chief Infirmary Assistants are there waiting.

Friendly smiles, hellos, and introductions are exchanged by those already acquainted (or merely less shy) as the present assistants wait for the rest of their peers to arrive. They better hup-to if they want to make a good impression and still arrive on time!

“Welcome to your first Infirmary case!” Leander began, a half-emptied mug of hot chocolate in his hand. His hands were always chilly in winter weather. He elevated his voice over the chatter of the other campers’ once the majority of their staff had reported, calling them all to attention. His short introduction would buy any stragglers a little time to sneak in and join.

“By now you should have already been briefed over your individual protocols-- where to find fresh blankets, hot water bottles, dried wormtongue, or whatever else,” he muttered that last bit, not a being particular fan of potions himself. “And while I’m sure you were all thrilled by the tour of the store rooms, it’s about time we give you some practice with patients.”

But unless the new staff was about to be treating a case of invisiblitis (which was probably not within the scope of first aid), who were going to be the lucky subjects?

Despite the excitement (or anxiety) of the uninitiated staff, their Chief Assistant team was not about to submit actual patients to the mercy of untrained attendants. If not nauseous to boot, the idea would probably be enough to make most patients refuse treatment, preferring instead to tend themselves. And the last thing they needed was an epidemic of gangrene or troop of anemics traipsing around camp. No, before the new Infirmary team was let loose on their fellow campers, they needed practice.

Reading out hypotheticals or handing out guides and pamphlets on proper patient care seemed rather dull to Leander. It wasn’t so much practice as it was recitation, and he was no Ravenclaw. As a Badger he greatly preferred doing. And so he had wrangled suggested to his fellow Chief Assistants that they help enact some patient scenarios for the first case study of summer.

“Well, let’s get started, shall we?” Anders smiled, not providing any direct answers to any questions raised or confused looks upturned. Instead he took a final sip of his cocoa and placed the emptied mug on the counter behind him. Clearing his throat, he instructed, “Choose one of your Chief Assistants, but don’t just play favorites! and once everyone's settled we will each be giving your the first lesson in patient care-- patience.”

OOC: Hello All! Welcome to your first case study in the Infirmary!
There will be at least three case studies this summer to build your first-aid skills. Are you ready to become a patient care pro?

To get started with Case Study #1, choose from either myself (Leander), Elizabeth, or Kathleen! Have a care who you pick, we each will be enacting
a patient with a different challenging temperament. I hope you’re in a better mood than your Chief Assistants are about to be!

IMPORTANT: Please place the name of the Assistant you choose
at the top of your post
to let others know at which station you’re working,
just as a reminder!

THE SUBJECTS
LEANDER -
Grumpy, insubordinate. Does anyone know the cure for sourpuss?
ELIZABETH -
Over-anxious, distrusting, fussy. Are those tears?
KATHLEEN -
OCD! Don't touch me! What are you doing?

Treating Leander
Code: [Select]
[center][color=#d68b8b][size=14pt][font=georgia]Treating Leander[/font][/size][/color][/center]

Treating Elizabeth
[center][color=#8BD6D6][size=14pt][font=georgia]Treating Elizabeth[/font][/size][/color][/center]

Treating Kathleen
[center][color=#8B8BD6][size=14pt][font=georgia]Treating Kathleen[/font][/size][/color][/center]
« Last Edit: 12/15/2013 at 15:05 by Kathleen Ellwood-Luxe »

HUFFLEPUFF
hard at work

Leander Laskos

(12/14/2013 at 03:40)
  • C13D5S13T13
    • View Profile
Treating Leander

After dismissing them to their cases, Leander walked to the head of the Infirmary cabin and sat himself down on one of the freshly made cots. Only it wasn't freshly made enough. And the blankets were stiff. They smelled too much of starch, how was anyone supposed to get any rest in a place like this when they had them sleeping on sandpaper?

His brow twisted and his usually easy smile dropped. Crossing his arms, he clutched his stomach and cast a dark look around the room.

Hardly waiting for any of the assistants to get settled around him, he got started himself. "Are you even qualified to provide medical attention? I could have a serious illness here. One you probably aren't going to solve just by giving me crackers," he huffed, the line of his mouth settling into a decided scowl.

"What are you staring at?"

Twisting away a little dismissively, he looked back after a moment and expectantly demanded, "...Well?"
« Last Edit: 12/14/2013 at 21:18 by Leander Laskos »

HUFFLEPUFF
hard at work

Verity Cassandra

(12/14/2013 at 16:25)
Treating Leander

Verity was eager to get started at the Infirmary, having not heard a word from their Chief Assistants until now. She bounded in, stomping her boots and shaking her head to get the snow from them before stripping off her coat, hat and gloves.

Red hair fell in large curls down her back.

Green eyes scanned the room and, with her usual million watt smile, she joined the crowd waiting for instruction. It was her third year working in the Infirmary now and she always managed to enjoy herself.

“Choose one of your Chief Assistants, but don’t just play favorites! and once everyone's settled we will each be giving your the first lesson in patient care-- patience.”

What fun. Verity rolled her eyes.

She had a lot of experience in dealing with ornery people considering her number of brothers and the friends she'd made here. Hell, Arcus was a handful and they weren't even related. That wasn't to say she cared for him any less; the older boy was probably the only reason she was still sane.

The assistants separated and Verity contemplated for a moment before trailing after Leander. Before she could even open her mouth to offer her assistance, he was complaining. Loudly. And staring at her with an accusatory expression.

"Are you even qualified to provide medical attention? I could have a serious illness here. One you probably aren't going to solve just by giving me crackers,"

"I can assure yah..." Verity began, trying to be soothing. Her mouth twisted into a frown when he interrupted her and green eyes flashed briefly with irritation. 'Keep yer calm Ver...that's what this is about,' she reminded herself.

"What are you staring at? ...Well?"

"Laskos." She addressed him firmly, hands on her hips now, her head cocked to the side. "First, I wouldn' be here if I weren't qualified to treat ya..." Her Southern accent had thickened slightly.

"Second, I cain't help yah if yah don't tell me what's wrong." She moved over to stand beside him, giving him a cursory look-over with her eyes, "What symptoms are yah havin'?"

Percy Marlowe

(12/15/2013 at 13:59)
Treating Kathleen

Percy had been looking forward to the infirmary because it was cool, c-o-o-l with a capital C. He'd already been in here a few times, because you didn't get to adventuring properly without getting a few cuts and bruises, but getting to treat someone was a completely different matter.

It didn't matter that Percy didn't understand what was going on or what he was supposed to do. Percy never understood what was going on or what he was supposed to do, but he did it anyway.

Rob shrank in agreement.

Chief assistants. Could you be a chief assistant? Percy'd always thought that chief meant chief, not someone who assisted. But he didn't know how to spell assisted, so he supposed that his opinion didn't count.

The boy who'd told them what to do was being grumpy and Percy backed off, choosing someone else instead. There - that girl didn't seem so bad. He didn't know at all what her name was, but that was okay.

"So, um, lady - " lady was a good word to use, he thought - "what's happened to you?"
« Last Edit: 12/15/2013 at 15:05 by Kathleen Ellwood-Luxe »

* Reagan Lilly

(12/15/2013 at 17:33)
  • Junior Healer - Magical Psychology
  • C10D6T9S5
  • Donor Tiger Lily - Most Proud ['42-'43] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
Treating Elizabeth

Reagan had not been feeling well herself recently, ironic that she was making her way to the infirmary to study the curing others. Tired, drained of energy and slightly nausious Reagan opened the door to the infirmary at a snails pace.

She took of her long velvet coat and shook the fresh snow from her dark hair, and as she blinked snowflakes melted on her eyelashes and trickled down her cheek. Reagan approached the other students, dragging her boots behind her as she shuffled forward.

“Choose one of your Chief Assistants, but don’t just play favorites! and once everyone's settled we will each be giving your the first lesson in patient care-- patience."

She approached one of the older girls, praying to god they had no symptoms that made them cranky, over emotional, crazy or anything too difficult to handle. On every other day she would be enthralled by the challenge of dealing with these behaviors but today was different, recently she was not herself.

"And how can I help you today? What symptoms are you experiencing?"

Payton Rose

(12/15/2013 at 18:40)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
  • Hyacinth - Most Sincere
    • View Profile
Treating Elizabeth

Payton had signed up for the Infirmary on a whim, debating whether Quidditch would take up all of her time or not. Since the games, when they did come, were sporadic and rarely taken seriously, she'd opted for another activity.

That and the Infirmary was warm.

But she wasn't sure how serious she was about all of this. Of course, Payton liked to help people and she was usually pretty sensitive when it came to identifying how to do so but her shyness was crippling enough that she got nervous just asking what the problem might be.

But everything was worth a shot...wasn't it?

“Choose one of your Chief Assistants, but don’t just play favorites! and once everyone's settled we will each be giving your the first lesson in patient care-- patience.”

She had no idea who to choose and froze as those obviously more experienced milled around her. Casting her blue eyes to the older boy who had given the instructions, she took a small step towards him but his snappy tone caused her to pause.

She would be of no use to someone in an irritated mood.

So she opted for one of the others and paced to a bed where another girl was already standing. Slowly, Payton slid up beside the girl (Reagan) and chewed nervously on her lower lip.

The question had been stolen from her so she merely looked at the older girl, head tilted slightly, curious and blushing...just a bit.

* Kathleen Ellwood-Luxe

(12/16/2013 at 15:08)
  • Shop Manager
  • The Silver Phoenix
     C12D14T10S17
  • Donor
    • View Profile
Treating Kathleen

Kathleen could have played Leander's part just as well as her own for the foul mood she was in. No one had informed her that being chief assistant meant playing the patient for the camp volunteers. No one had even asked her if she'd wanted to be a chief assistant. She didn't want to be. Working in the hospital wing for one term was something she regretted. And most of what she had done there was clerical work. She was much better suited to help with duelling, as the champion and all.

But no one cared to ask Kathleen what she thought. No one had cared for a long time.

Thankfully, Leander's speech wasn't long-winded. A trait Kathleen valued and that most Hufflepuffs seemed to possess. Except John; John could go on for quite a while.

When word was given, Kathleen sat herself on a cot and touched the fingertips of one hand against the fingertips of the other, as if counting something. This had nothing to do with the part she was supposed to play and everything to do with who she had always been. She really was obsessive-compulsive and really didn't like being touched by strangers. Perhaps if she sat here looking as uninteresting as possible no one would-

A young boy quickly approached her. She didn't recognise him; probably an incoming first year. Kathleen recognised a lot of faces as a result of her one term as Prefect. Whether she liked that or not.

Fortunately for him Kathleen had spent an inordinate amount of time last year with first years and had actually grown fond of some of the younger students. Not all of them could be Jackson Ross, of course, but she would give this young man the benefit of the doubt for now.

"So, um, lady - "

A thin eyebrow arched upward.

"what's happened to you?"

Lifting an arm, Kathleen started, "I was walking to get lunch when I tripped and fell. Now I've got scratches here," four fingernails raked across her forehead, "and here," she touched the sleeve of her blouse at her elbow, "and here." A finger came to land on the legging covering her left kneecap.

Those probably weren't the most likely combination of injuries from a trip but this wasn't about actual care. This was about dealing with difficult patients and Kathleen hadn't begun to be difficult yet.
Your eyes, they shine so bright.

I want to save their light.

Percy Marlowe

(12/16/2013 at 23:32)
Treating Kathleen

The girl in front of him was looking at him with her eyebrow funny, the way his uncle was very fond of doing, and Percy momentarily wondered if he was going to have to fix her eyebrow. He didn't know how that worked. He'd tried very often but it just didn't want to go up and eventually he just sort of looked like he was seriously in pain.

"I was walking to get lunch when I tripped and fell."

Scratches! Percy could deal with scratches. "OH," he shouted excitedly, before remembering that he was in a room with multiple people and he didn't think any of them would take kindly to an overexcited eleven year old. "Oh," he said again quieter this time, but still just as animatedly. "I get those loadsa times. Once I poked a horse and she kicked me and I couldn't walk for ages." That wasn't scratches, if they were going to be tech-nee-cal about it, but it was still a battle scar Percy was proud of. He scrunched his face up trying to remember what ought to be done when he had scratches.

"When I got scratches people put some pasty thing and then a bandage." Sometimes it had also been a liquidy thing. "Um - are there any of those around here?" He didn't actually know what he was meant to do - was he supposed to do the b-a-n-d-a-g-e thing? After all the other guy had said it was about patience, or patients, he hadn't known which one, but patience didn't mean bandaging people, he thought.

It was all very confusing. Percy scrunched his face up more.

* Elizabeth Woods-Taylor

(12/17/2013 at 10:44)
  • Resistance Member + Private, 101st Broom Battalion Medic
  • C13D6T10S7
    • View Profile
Treating Elizabeth

Elizabeth would rarely admit it to anyone but her own brother, but the act she had adopted for this case study was too close to reality. Normally, she acted brave when she scraped her knees or felt poorly. Liz often convinced herself that nothing was wrong with her, even if it was a sprain she suffered from after a miscalculated leap over logs. She tended to be the queen of denial.

But the tears she was trying to call upon as she shied away from the first participant to pay attention to her, came far too quickly. It was too soon to start balling like a baby though so Liz tried to blink them away. It was time to play her part.

The girl who first walked near was acting professional. Very good start. Elizabeth needed to ruffle her feathers somehow.

"I.. I think... something is very, very wrong." She cradled her arm and allowed herself to rock just slightly.

Liz then noticed Payton moving toward her and resisted the urge to smile at the girl, even though she wanted nothing more than to wave and motion enthusiastically at her to join in on the fun. The problem was, Liz wasn't supposed to be making this fun.

"It's bad, isn't it. Oh no, it's really bad isn't it?! You both need to see me, that makes it bad..." her voice cracked slightly and again she felt the fake tears readily available.

Hopefully this was a good start to a bad patient example.
« Last Edit: 12/17/2013 at 10:59 by Elizabeth Woods-Taylor »

Leander Laskos

(12/17/2013 at 13:52)
  • C13D5S13T13
    • View Profile

Treating Leander

He grinned at his first victim volunteer. Her accent posed abit of a problem for him, however. He’d never been to America outside of the ISGs last term and then he hadn’t had much conversation with any of the other students. He hadn't expected their version of English to be quite so hard to follow though. He found it easy then to look confused and allow his brow to knit, deepening the scowl that darkened his expression.

He snickered when he saw the girl's eyes flash when he interrupted her as she was just trying to do her job.  Redheads were easy to rile.

"Wouldn't be here if you weren't qualified? What about that one?" He nodded in the direction of one of the younger attendants who looked particularly apprehensive about the whole Infirmary business.  Inwardly Leander agreed.

"You telling me they don't just let anyone in here?" Anders made sure to emphasize the dubious note in his voice.

He looked dismissively around the room, partially to ignore the girl's very kind attempt to help, and also to see how some of the others were getting along.  Besides, he could tell the redhead could handle a tough one.  And he certainly meant to be tough. And try not to have too much fun in the process.

Ignoring her question, he instead was intent on being disruptive. Raising his voice across the room he called over in Liz's direction, "Crying already? You don't even have it half as bad as me! Can't get a piece of quiet around here?!"

Turning another defiant look in Verity's direction he scoffed, "I've already had the kitchens try to poison me once today," his look soured further and he tried to imagine his complexion green. "I'll tell you what's wrong.  They need to learn how to cook proper food around here. Rations or whatever is no excuse for making us all sick and starving to boot!"

The look he shot towards the other girl dared her to shut his mouth.
ΤΘΔ
HUFFLEPUFF

dig in.

* Reagan Lilly

(12/17/2013 at 15:14)
  • Junior Healer - Magical Psychology
  • C10D6T9S5
  • Donor Tiger Lily - Most Proud ['42-'43] Quidditch Champions
    • View Profile
"I.. I think... something is very, very wrong."

Reagan blinked at her, as she cradled her arms and began to rock back and forth like someone with deep underlying mental issues. Reagan moved closer, resting her hand on the girls shoulder for comfort as she spoke.

"Okay..." She took a long pause and deep breath before continuing. "Can you tell me specifically what's wrong? Or... What "you" think is wrong?"

She didn't understand, how she was supposed to help someone who wouldnt actually say what was wrong? Was she in pain? Had she broke something? Took a dodgy potion? Anything? Then she had a thought, "maybe they were making things difficult on purpose?" She would just have to try keep her cool and be as helpful as possible.[basically everything Reagan was not good at.]

Payton moved in behind her, joining there group in treating Elizabeth. She didn't say anything she only stood there shyly, and that almost tipped the patient over the egde in paranoia. Reagan became slightly afraid and took a few steps back in precaution.

"It's bad, isn't it. Oh no, it's really bad isn't it?! You both need to see me, that makes it bad..."

"We dont know yet Miss, you haven't told us anything about your situation... Please try and remain calm." Reagan coaxed, glancing desperately toward Payton for her input.
ΨƬȠ
SLYTHERIN
Strive Succeed

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/19/2013 at 15:20)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
This was the first Infirmary Case Study. Ellie felt very important and very concentrated. If she wanted to learn how to be good at this so that she would be able to help out at the castle, than she needed to be serious about this. Her gaze was unflinching and she barely smiled at Leander as her started presenting the task.

“Well, let’s get started, shall we? Choose one of your Chief Assistants, but don’t just play favorites! and once everyone's settled we will each be giving your the first lesson in patient care-- patience.” he said and everyone in the room started spreading to one of the three stands.

Ellie waited a little in the middle, unsure of where to go, and then directed herself towards Leander. He was a House Mate and quite a friendly person. Also, he had taught Cally the Wingardium Leviosa charm, so he was probably a good teacher. (But really, she just didn't want to go and see Elizabeth, whom she somehow wasn't very fond of, or Kathleen, who was much too imposing.)

Treating Leander

As soon as Leander sat down and opened his mouth to speak, Ellie regretted her choice. He looked grumpy and much more intimidating than Kathleen usually did. He started verbally attacking the older girl that had joined them and she responded without letting herself be rattled by his tone. Ellie observed her, a little in retreat, not knowing if she should intervene. This looked very complicated and she knew very well that wasn't a tactful person at all.

"Wouldn't be here if you weren't qualified? What about that one?" Leander said, nodding in her direction. Or maybe it hadn't been her he had been showing but one of the other younger students. Either way...

"I beg your pardon?" she asked shrilly, taking a step towards Leander with glowing eyes. She was inexperienced - a lot of them were - but they were here to learn, weren't they?

Then he started shouting towards Elizabeth, who was crying (what was going on with these attendants?!) and complaining loudly about the food. "I'm sorry Leander, but I hope you're not just playing gourmet!" she said, her voice high-pitched in a mixture of anxiety and rage.

Then, the twelve year-old turned energetically towards the red-head. "I think I know where the stomach potions are." she informed her briefly and shot past her without waiting for her approval.

On the way, she tripped over her feet and fell face down on the hard ground. With an ashamed flush, she rapidly got up again and took the potion from the shelf, never daring to look into any other student's eyes. Steaming, she came back to Leander's bed and filled a small cup with the potion.

She held it out to him with fiery eyes and said shortly: "I don't know what to ate but this should help whatever it is. If it doesn't work you can always come back."
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Verity Cassandra

(12/20/2013 at 04:00)
Treating Leander

Man, but he was feisty!

Her temper was riled but the point of the lesson was to learn to deal with ornery patients such as these. A firm but polite hand was necessary...unlike the way she'd dealt with her brothers. A quick swat over the head had always shut them up enough to allow her to patch them up and send them off to whatever misadventure they'd planned next.

But Leander was a stranger...well sort of...and an elder of hers at that. She took a breath trying to reign in a temper as fiery as her hair.

"Wouldn't be here if you weren't qualified? What about that one?"

He pointed towards a younger member who seemed a bit nervous. Verity frowned.

"You telling me they don't just let anyone in here?"

With a sigh, Verity opted to stay silent and focus on the task at hand.

"Crying already? You don't even have it half as bad as me! Can't get a piece of quiet around here?!"

That was enough. "Don' talk like that tah the other patients please." She said, fixing her hands to her hips and frowning at him. "Yah focus on yer own problems..." She shook her head slightly, her red hair bouncing in irritation.

"I think I know where the stomach potions are."

Another girl...Verity wasn't sure of her name, spoke up and the red-headed girl nodded, giving her a comforting smile. "Thanks then..." But the girl had already taken off, irritated with Leander. Verity sighed and turned back to the irate patient.

"I've already had the kitchens try to poison me once today. I'll tell you what's wrong.  They need to learn how to cook proper food around here. Rations or whatever is no excuse for making us all sick and starving to boot!"

"So yer sayin' yah got food poisonin'?" She raised an eyebrow, "Yah'd be in a worse state if that was true. I have a feelin' that those stomach potions mah fellow infirmary worker is bringin' will do yah up just fine." She replied.

Just then, the girl returned, filling and handing Leander a cup. Verity moved to get him some water; most potions they stocked where horribly flavored and no doubt he'd have some words to say about that. Patience was indeed a virtue.

Payton Rose

(12/20/2013 at 06:24)
  • Sixth Year
  • C8D6T8S7
  • Hyacinth - Most Sincere
    • View Profile
Treating Elizabeth

Payton smiled at Elizabeth but she knew that the older girl had to keep up her act so the young Ravenclaw bit her lip a moment later. But she felt a strange underlying warmth; it was easy for her to see that Elizabeth was acting.

She supposed it had something to do with her being an Empath.

She'd discovered it at a young age and it had only gotten stronger as the years went on. She was constantly overwhelmed, especially in crowded places such as these, by the emotional turmoil around her. It was only exasperated with touch making her shy away from the contact.

But she wanted to try and help the other girl.

"I.. I think... something is very, very wrong. It's bad, isn't it. Oh no, it's really bad isn't it?! You both need to see me, that makes it bad..."

Elizabeth's rambling and close-to-tears expression were realistic and Payton did her best to ignore the contradicting feelings she felt. Stepping closer, she watched Elizabeth cradle her arm to her chest and look at them with a panicked expression.

"Okay...Can you tell me specifically what's wrong? Or... What "you" think is wrong?"

That was Reagan...a good question to start off with as Payton crossed to Elizabeth's other side. "Don't worry. We'll take care of you. That there's two of us just means you'll be treated more closely and on your feet that much faster." She soothed.

"We dont know yet Miss, you haven't told us anything about your situation... Please try and remain calm."

Reagan was doing her best to stay professional, which Payton appreciated...she was never good with that. She sidled up next to Elizabeth and, despite her reservations concerning touch, she laid a comforting hand on her arm...the unhurt one of course.

"Don't worry." She repeated, smiling softly.

Joy Detora

(12/21/2013 at 13:24)
  • Auror
  • C18D10T20S12
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge ['43-'44] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week ['43-'44] Prefect Pick! Player of the Summer
    • View Profile
Treating Elizabeth

Joy had arrived slightly late, so she gravitated to her camp counselor. So much for no favourites.

"How is she doing?" She asked quietly. She glanced at Elizabeth. If Elizabeth thought that it was bad since three people were seeing to her, then maybe she had anxiety issues?

"Did you hurt yourself?" Joy asked. She had seen Elizabeth hold her arm, so maybe she fell? "Do you have a cold?" She asked. Colds were rather easy to treat, but she didn't mention that.
27 Detora
"ROUGH AND TUMBLE"

HUFFLEPUFF QUIDDITCH
1946-47

Leander Laskos

(12/24/2013 at 04:52)
  • C13D5S13T13
    • View Profile
Treating Leander

Leander winced inwardly when he'd singled out Ellie. Picking on little girls was he usually reserved for his little sisters and even then only really when he was provoked, which wasn't as often as you'd expect for one with a triplicate of little doe-eyed helliots for siblings. But to her credit, Ellie rose to defend herself, and he hoped she wasn't wasn't all that offended. He'd apologize to her later, maybe with hot chocolate.  Perhaps not Hospital Wing practice, but they were certainly Hufflepuff tactics he knew well.

"Gourmet? I'd settle for halfway decent," he scowled, resuming his character without letting on how pleased he was with how things were so far being handled. "At least the Elves back at school know what they're doing. Know just how I like things- how things ought to be done." A regular visitor of the neighboring kitchens so conveniently near his Common Room, he was on familiar terms with the Elves there, but those at camp certainly rivaled in friendliness.

Turning his sparked eyes back to the other girl as Ellie dashed to the potion room, Leander didn't let up on his challenging glare. He could hear the chagrin evident in Verity's gritted tone, but applauded her for refraining from slapping him. If it'd been him, the older boy would have tried to see if he's could have gotten away with prescribing a firm clap to the back to settle the stomach.

"What I'm sayin'," he tried unsuccesfully mimicking her accent, "is that what they've been trying to pass as food around here wasn't even raw, but I'm pretty sure at least half of it was still alive." Anders tightened the arms crossed around his chest.

When Ellie returned with a potion in hand, the look of digust that crossed his face wasn't improvised. Brows twisted and mouth pursed stubbornly indicated he was not about to have any of that.  Personally he'd prefer to have his head in a bucket for the next several hours than suffer swallowing the proffered remedy. Usually one to suffer in silence, his experience with medicinal brews been slight, and, unfortunately, particularly unpleasant. Honestly he would have preferred the crackers.  Or sawdust even. 

"Do you even know what you grabbed?" he scowled, risking opening his mouth. "How do you even know that one's fresh? When was the last time you even checked the expiration on the stores? That potion looks stale to me." His lips pressed again in a tight, disapproving line and one brow raised at an irritatingly obstinate angle.

You could lead a Badger to a potion but it wasn't going to be so easy to make him drink. He was glad to see, though, that despite being both being younger than him, his two attendants seemed to be coping rather well.  In, fact he was so confident in their performance so far that he felt little guilt when accused them of, "You trying to make me toss what's left of my lunch or something? What kind of help do you call that?!"

At the back of his mind, Anders wondered how much longer (not 'if', but rather 'when') he'd be able to escape a cuff to the head, or, he mused in Verity's direction as she fetched the cup of water, getting drenched.

HUFFLEPUFF
hard at work

Eleanor Nettleyew

(12/24/2013 at 10:07)
  • Second Year
  • C3T3D1S2
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile
How things ought to be done. How dare he criticise the Elves? All right, their cooking might not have been as good as the stuff from the Hogwarts kitchens, but they were just as nice and hard-trying! And the fact that he had privileged relationships with the Hogwarts kitchens (something that Ellie herself knew very well) didn't stop him from building one with the Elves from camp!

Such were Ellie's thoughts as she went to fetch the potion.

When her feet carried her back towards Leander, the look of disgust that crossed his features only sufficed to raise her anger even more. If he complained than he had no right to refuse the medication he was offered!

"Do you even know what you grabbed? How do you even know that one's fresh? When was the last time you even checked the expiration on the stores? That potion looks stale to me." came his snarl, and Ellie scowled severely.

She hadn't checked the expiration date but she was certain that the potion was absolutely fine. It tasted terribly bitter (inwardly she rejoiced of having to make Leander drink something so disgusting when he was complaining about the taste of the food) but the Infirmary Assistants wouldn't have stacked the shelves with stale potions - especially since Camp Loki only lasted for about a month.

And Leander, as a chief assistant, should definitely know all that! With a deep crease in her eyebrows, she wondered why he was putting up such an act. For him to be in a lousy mood was one thing (and not a terribly agreeable one, but everyone had a bad day). Faking not to know if the potions were effective was another. Either he was really trying to be as infuriating as he could out of annoyance... or he was faking it all.

This was a training after all. Maybe... maybe Leander, Elizabeth and Kathleen weren't actually in bad moods at all! This looked like quite an adventurous thought but still, Ellie whispered towards the red-haired girl: "Is this an act or is he really being an arse?"

"You trying to make me toss what's left of my lunch or something? What kind of help do you call that?!" Leander tried again and Ellie whirled around with fire in her eyes, in the end not caring if he was faking it all or not. Some stuff just shouldn't be said.

"What are you even doing here if you don't want our help? The potion is just fine and if you don't like to be cured than I can show you the way towards the exit!" she hissed. He was really getting on her nerves.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Percy Marlowe

(01/01/2014 at 05:49)
Treating Kathleen

Kathleen wasn't at all being fun. Percy frowned and squinted at her suspiciously, wondering if this was supposed to be part of the test. Maybe he was supposed to call for bandages or tie up her wounds or put some sort of funny sticky liquid on her?

He looked around at everyone else who seemed like they were doing things. Moving around and stuff. Percy shuffled on his feet awkwardly and wished that he was doing something more interesting. He'd wanted to to infir-mary stuff because of all the blood and scratches and things that he'd expected, not - sitting around waiting for something to happen.

"Lady," he said insistently, "aren't you supposed to tell me what to do or something?"

On second thoughts that didn't really work out. She was supposed to be the patient and he was supposed to be the doctor. So maybe it wasn't like that. Percy took out his sword and gave her arm a gentle prod. Maybe that was what he was supposed to do. Test things?

Tags: