Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1960!

Author Topic: Athanasia Valenti  (Read 223 times)

Athanasia Valenti-Rose

(14/08/2020 at 04:09)
  • Transfiguration Professor
  • C16D8T20S12
  • Player of the Week
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character name: Athanasia Valenti-Rose (soon to be Athanasia Valenti)

Current Characters: Charlotte Pantazis, Chelsea Chái

Character age: 20 (November 11th, 1939)

Character education: Hogwarts, Slytherin, Class of ‘58

Strength and weaknesses:
Her biggest strength—her family—has always been her biggest weakness, as well. She grew up loving them intensely and unwaveringly. The stories she’d heard of her great ancestors inspired her to always do her best, to be determined and decisive in her actions. This made her a clever witch who was well-read, witty, and good with her wand, but it also blinded her, caused her to act foolishly, and in the end, trapped her in a life she soon-learned she was never built for. It made her arrogant, too, for she’d always seen her family (and thus, herself) as superior to the rest of the world, Wizarding or otherwise.

Athanasia knows how to get what she wants, whether that be through her charm or through flat-out manipulation. She has high expectations, for herself and for others, which sometimes ends in her being inevitably let down. She gives most tasks her all, and can grow frustrated when others don’t want to do the same. She is not good at being exceptionally warm and fuzzy, especially to strangers, but she has a strong desire to see herself, and by extension, her students, succeed.

Physical description: Athanasia is tall for the time period, standing at exactly 5’6”. Her limbs are long and, due to the numerous hours she spends by the pool or on the beach, evenly tanned. Her features remain elegant and feminine, even in their sharpness. Most striking are her eyes; they’re a captivating green, with an almost snake-like quality.

Over the years, Sia has become skilled at styling her own hair. She transfigures it to be long, short, curly, straight, etc., but however it’s done, you can be sure there won’t be a strand out of place. She takes pride in always looking presentable.

When she moves, it’s with purpose, especially now that she feels she is finally finding her footing again. Her steps are long and confident. There is a presence about her that she has spent years perfecting; the idea of being ignored or forgotten frightens her, and so she has done everything in her power to avoid it.

Personality: Sia was a rather unproblematic child. She preferred history lessons and magical theories to causing a fuss, and she was good at following instructions, so long as they came from the right person. Unless she was spending time with her family, she’d rather be left alone.

During her teenage years, she could be unnecessarily cruel. Sia has always known what she wanted from life, and anyone in her path was at risk of being run right over. She liked to get her way, and she wouldn’t hesitate to beat down any opposers, whether it be by her sharp tongue or her equally as lethal skills with a wand. Since her time in semi-isolation she has mellowed a bit, but her mean-streak still remains (though much more expertly hidden), and she has more than enough anger left in her to create quite the formidable enemy.

Currently on the edge of a divorce, she is seen at her worst—when she is unsure. Her edges dull, and she becomes more gentle, more dependent. When she is vulnerable and weak she is always at her kindest.

She truly shines when she is certain in herself and in her actions. She is a force to be reckoned with, and she shows it. She is a strong-willed, intelligent, determined young woman who, once she makes up her mind, becomes nearly unstoppable. She is frustratingly stubborn—a blessing or a curse, depending on whether you’re working with or against her—and not above resorting to dirtier tactics to get her way. Manipulation is an art she excels in, especially now that she’s found herself with a seat at the Pantazis-Valenti table that, as a woman, she must constantly battle to keep.

When she loves something, it is with her whole heart, though it takes a great deal to earn her respect, for she has always had to fight hard to earn that of her family members.

Hopes and dreams. Why are you teaching at Hogwarts?: Sia spent most of her years at Hogwarts hating the school and most of the people inside it. She couldn’t wait to get to her perfectly planned future, to start building a family with her betrothed and finally make her relatives proud. But in all her excitement to achieve this goal, she forgot to look past it, to the sixty or seventy or eighty years that stretched beyond her wedding. She wasn’t prepared for the boredom or the loneliness that came with living alone while her husband worked in London, isolated in Greece, with only a few family members and close friends to keep her company.

After many long, isolated months (months that only served to lead her and her husband closer to the inevitable: divorce), Sia decided that she wanted to do something more with herself. A career seemed like her best option, but she couldn’t see herself clawing her way up the ladder at St.Mungo’s or the Ministry or any other establishment, so she turned to academia. Her resume wasn’t extensive, but she knew she was a smart girl, and with three younger siblings beneath her, she knew she wasn’t completely useless with kids, either (those she liked, anyway). On top of that, she enjoyed the idea of having influence again. It had been too long since she’d made a substantial impact on anything other than her monotonous day-to-day schedule.

Hogwarts, while it had never been her favorite growing up, was familiar. For the girl who never thought she’d spend a day working, a job sounded intimidating. If Hogwarts, her alma mater, was able to offer her just a few homely comforts, she was sure it would help ease the transition. Additionally, given she had never been too thrilled with the Professors at Hogwarts, she figured that this was her chance to be the teacher she always wished she’d had herself.

Biography:
from the desk of athanasia valenti
a collection of letters, sent and unsent

saturday, june 2nd, 1945

Grandmother,

Mom says yur sad Grandfather deid.

Mom says yur lonly bi yurself.

Mom's writing this letter for me now because she says my spelling isn’t very good yet. I'm telling her what to say though so you can pretend it's straight from me.

Did you know that I've got two new siblings? They're twin girls and their names are Antonia and Cesare. Mom says they're going to be a handful.

Did you also know that I'm going to live with you for a little bit? I'm so excited. I love Greece and I love the ocean and I love spending time with you. We can keep each other company and sit on the beach together and read books and you can teach me magic.

Ignore all the ink stains! It's not because I'm messy. Mom just kept making me start over.

I love you!

athanasia imelda pantazis valenti

sunday, january 7th, 1951

Grandmother,

I like being home with my siblings, but I miss you a ton. I miss waking up early and going down to the beach to learn. No one wants to learn with me here. Simone says it's boring, and the twins are too young to be any use.

Do you promise you'll never stop writing me, even when I'm away at school and I can't come to your house on the weekends?

When I get out of school, I think I'd like to come live with you forever. I'll be the smartest and strongest witch in the world.

athanasia

friday, april 16th, 1954

Grandmother,

I adore the book you sent me. I'm halfway through it already; I’ve been spending too much time reading these days. Mom would be upset if she knew, but I’m not great at making big groups of friends, and you understand that. Most of these people have nothing to offer me, anyway.

Do you have any other recommendations?

School is going alright. The classes are boring as always, but you'll be pleased to know that I still excel in them. I know you'd expect nothing less.

Dueling is fun. I quite like participating in the tournaments, and I’m good at it, too. Your advice has proved useful, not that I ever doubted it wouldn’t. I’ll be good enough to win the whole thing soon, I bet. I wish you could come and watch me.

athanasia

thursday, february 20th, 1958

Grandmother,

I'm doing really well. I've got a good life planned out for me (you should know; you helped plan it), and I know he'll make me happy in the ways that matter.

But I keep running into problems. I hope you can forgive that. It must be because I've been away from you for so long. I wish you could've homeschooled me all seven years. You probably would've done a better job teaching, anyway.

Have you ever had something blow up in your face? And still not learn your lesson? I'm going to fix this, eventually. Everything’s just so difficult right now. I need your advice, but I'm having trouble putting it into words.

Easter break can't come quick enough.

athanasia valenti

friday, september 5th, 1958

Grandmother,

We've just moved into our new home. You're the first person I'm writing. You're the first person who gets to see my signature written out like that.

It's not odd that I'm keeping Valenti, right?

I hope you enjoyed the ceremony. You were in on most of the decisions, after all. The honeymoon was amazing, almost better than being in Greece. It feels good to be back where I belong.

I hope you don't mind, but now that we're in the same country again, I was counting on us getting to see one another more often. I treasure our letters, but they can't measure up to sitting on the beach with you.

See you soon.

athanasia valenti rose

friday, july 17th, 1959
unsent

Bryson,

I'm sorry that I can't tell you that he meant nothing and mean it.

You weren't here.

And you’ve always had her, so what's the difference?

Can we talk about it, please? I miss you, and I mean that. Dinner tonight?

athanasia valenti rose

thursday, march 31st, 1960

Grandmother,

You're going to be a great-grandmother, soon. Isn't that wonderful?

I’ll admit that I’m scared, though. I know that I’m ready to be a mother, but what if I'm no good?

I'm counting on you to help me narrow down the names. I want it to have meaning, like my own. I can't wait for you to meet him/her.

Bryson will be at the office all of this upcoming week just like this week, and last week, too. I'd love some company. Tea on Monday?

athanasia valenti rose

wednesday, may 25th, 1960
unsent

Bryson,

Sometimes, I wish I could make you hate London. I know you're busy with work, but if you could spend this weekend with me, it'd mean a lot.

Her case is going to consume you if you let it, you know. I am a little afraid that it already has.

Greece was never for you, was it?

athanasia valenti rosee

tuesday, july 19th, 1960

Grandmother,

I hope this summer has been treating you well. I regret that I cannot wish the same upon myself, but I'd rather not entertain such foolish fantasies. I know exactly how this summer will treat me—the same as the last.

Things at my house remain boring and a bit lonely. Camilla's quite good at keeping me company, at least. How was the party last weekend? Do you ever think it's ironic that of the two of us, you've got the busier schedule?

I've been thinking about what you told me. I don't know if you'll remember it, I was a little older than ten, but I think about that day often. You gave me your Grandmother's wand; you told me that you thought I'd leave my mark on the world someday.

I think it's time I start living up to that. I'm planning on applying for a job. I hope that makes you proud.

I'll see you for brunch next Tuesday. Don't forget. I miss you.

(Don't forget that, either.)

athanasia valenti rose

saturday, august 27th, 1960
unsent

Bryson,

I think we've lost both our minds—mine to loneliness, and yours to Artemis.

They're not going to let her out. It's her fault she's in there, anyway. You keep wasting your time on things and people you can't change. When do you give up? When do I get to matter, more?

Are you happy? I'm not.

athanasia valenti rose

sunday, august 28th, 1960

Grandmother,

I think I want to get a divorce.

Are you free tomorrow evening for dinner?

athanasia valenti

SAMPLE ROLEPLAY
Roleplay Response:

Athanasia Valenti had never been good at being on time. She was used to moving as fast or as slow as she wanted to, with the assurance that she would get to her destination eventually, and that her tardiness would be of no issue. It was one of the few luxuries that came with living mostly on your own and having your plans consist only of visiting your singular friend or your grandmother.

In the two years she'd been gone from Hogwarts, she'd almost forgotten what it felt like to rush up and down the winding staircases. She got a healthy reminder, now, as she raced to the Headmistress's office, five minutes late and counting.

The office door swung open to reveal Anneka Ivanova in all her intimidating glory. Athanasia's eyes widened just marginally; she'd expected the woman to be waiting at her desk, not pacing the floors.

"You are late."

Green eyes darted briefly to the clock to confirm this statement.

"I am."

When she spoke, it was in short, neat syllables. It didn't show in her face, but in her voice there was a hint of uncertainty, indistinguishable to anything other than a skilled ear or an attentive listener. She knew that she was young, perhaps the youngest candidate that year, and thus, already at a disadvantage. A part of her was worried that the Headmistress would throw her out immediately and swiftly move along to another potential employee, someone older, someone with more experience, someone who had been on time. It was what her father would've done.

In her family, all it took was one mistake, not three, to strikeout.

She took a steadying breath.

"But that doesn't change the fact that I'm the best candidate for the job."

There was a confidence to her words, one she wished she could compel herself to believe in completely, instead of hovering somewhere in between certain and unsure.

we'll be a --------

--------fine line    

Tags: