We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Josefina Soto  (Read 44 times)

* Josefina Soto

(14/09/2019 at 00:40)
  • Child
    • View Profile
E L S E W H E R E   C H I L D

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Josefina Soto Guzmán

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Parents/Guardians (Are they currently played characters?): 
Ricardo Soto & Elisa Guzmán

Residence:
New York, US Norwich, UK

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the daycare)?
N/A

Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
N/A

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Valencia Salvatierra & co.

Biography: (100 words minimum.)

“Your family should just adopt me. Then we can finally be sisters. Then I won’t have to move to England.”

Josefina whimpered, curly hair floating in the summer heat. As the sun beat down on the sidewalk right in front of the Soto residence, Josefina rested her head on Antonia’s shoulder—not even two seconds later, she collapsed pathetically into her friend’s lap.

Toni had never seen sensible, strait-laced Josefina Soto cry before until now, not even when she dropped her ice cream or got a bad grade from Miss Hall. She might have been the most sensible, strait-laced girl in all of fourth grade.

“There, there.” Her hand hovered awkwardly over Josefina’s back. “Hey, it’s okay! We’ll be sending letters all the time anyway, right? It’ll be like you never left.” Determinedly, Toni ran her fingers through the other girl’s brown waves, hoping that it felt comforting in some way or another.

“But it won’t be the same!”

“It’ll be close enough.”

“But I’ll miss you, and Carla, and Amanda, and Rachel, and everyone.” The silence that followed—that suffocating blanket of silence invading every surface of the neighborhood—did little to raise their spirits. Carla and Amanda and Rachel and everyone would miss Josefina in their somber, unsaid ways.

Then, with a grimace: “Fina, you’re getting snot all over my skirt.”

“Oh, sorry.” Josefina sniffed and dabbed at her eyes; for a moment, the tears eased from savage waterfalls to gentle streams and that unfamiliar emotion of despair seemed to be put back where it belonged—a place far away from here, far away from Brooklyn, New York. Far away from the nine-year-old tortoiseshell heart of Josefina Soto Guzmán.

-

Despair returned in the shape of the SS United States.

Josefina hugged her coffee-brown suitcase close to her chest, fearing that if there was nothing to ground her, she would be blown away by the salt-and-sweat winds. She had managed to stuff everything in there. Everything that mattered, at the very least.

(Charlotte’s Web, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, and perhaps most excitingly, an entire box set of The Lord of the Rings series, all shoved in the corner of the suitcase against dresses and baubles alike. Goodness, what if the pages got bent?)

“Mamá,” the young girl choked out finally as she tugged at Elisa’s skirt. The SS United States loomed over New York Harbor and breathed out steam in deep intervals, drenching its passengers in thick, white clouds. Her hair, so subject to the wiles of water and heat, threatened to dance up in the heavy air. “We have to turn back around. We can’t go anymore.”

“Little lady, what on earth are you talking about?”

“I… I’m sick. Fever, chills, everything. We have to schedule an appoint with a physician or something, Mamá, I think I might faint—”

“Darling, you’re acting ridiculous.”

Josefina could have exploded. Her rage fumed red, hot, and as gooey lava in the active volcano, just barely contained for the victims standing nearby. The crowd pushed around her, oblivious to the impeding storm brewing within one little Puerto Rican girl whose fists were balled indignantly at her sides. It took all her will not to scream at the sky. Instead, she became a statue and imagined herself in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

There could be no winning when it came to grown-ups Papá carried her on board with the rest of their luggage.

-

How dearly Josefina wished to become an adult! How she wanted to make her own choices or know many things or not be the laughingstock of Mamá and Papá’s jokes.

On her first day of school in Norwich, the city still damned with the impressions of the Norwich Blitz in ‘42, Josefina introduced herself to the class.

“Hello, my name is Josefina. HOSE-a-FEE-na, not JOES or YOSE-a-FEE-na. I’m from New York. I like to read. I moved here because my parents got better jobs, and when I grow up, I wanna be just like them.”

Her eyes glowered accusingly at the kids at the room. How dare they not be Toni or Carla or Amanda or Rachel.

“I’m not here to make friends,” she finished off dramatically. “In fact, it won’t be long until my mom and dad let me go back to New York.”

Roleplay:
Reply as your character to the following:

Godric Park.

Overhead, the sky was a crisp blue, for once clear of the ever-pervasive spongy clouds and rain. The sun was a lemony-yellow presence, high in the Eastern sky, and in front of it zipped three broomsticks in a straight line, or something very like one. One... two..... three... the boys passed, their shouts of excitement echoing as they chased the snitch, a tiny shimmer reflecting the sunlight.

Far below was another, much smaller broomstick.

It trugged along the ground, hugging close to it like a sluggish choo choo train and occasionally shuttering in protest. This was because said stick was currently being occupied by a very small girl who was tugging upward on the front of it with all her might, trying to coax it into doing what it had been expressly designed NOT to do.

"John, I said wait up!" The tiny girl squealed, giving the broomstick another tug.

Begrudgingly, it drifted upward a foot, and then sank, depositing the troublesome girl safely on the ground. Janey Hurst was not pleased. In a huff, she hopped off the toy safety broom, grabbing it firmly and thrusting it handle first into the turf.

Her brother was such a beast. He NEVER let her play! She folded her arms, seething blue eyes fixing on another figure nearby.  "You!" She barked, much more sharply than she meant to.

"...Do you want to play?"

Roleplay Response:

“No, thank you,” Josefina snapped. “No, I would not like to play with you.”

A particularly thick book weighed down her lap, and Josefina prayed that it would keep her there until her parents forced her to leave. There were too many things wrong with their new home: it was English, it wasn’t in New York, and finally, it smelled like what she could only imagine as the previous resident’s unfortunate spoiled milk spill on the oriental rug they left behind. Mamá had yet to have it cleaned.

There were other things that culminated to fuel Josefina’s similarly spoiled mood, such as the meager breakfast she had that morning and the terrible loss of the goodbye card signed with all of her classmates’ names in their quaint, hideous scrawl. Two weeks and she still failed to discover even one good thing about England.

(Except for their funny accents. She and Papá could have made fun of them all day.)

“I’m ten-years-old, you see. Far too old to be playing with… with a girl as infantile as you.” As she continued to ramble to little Janey Hurst, Josefina began to smile—the type children tended to imitate when they felt self-important and smug to their juniors, as if the slight difference in their age was an achievement deserving of a medal.

OTHER
How did you find us? TopSites!

* Calypso Ross

(14/09/2019 at 11:23)
  • Head of Auror Office
  • C30D24T23S21
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Biggest Teacher's Pet ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['42-'43] Queen of the Hospital Wing
    • View Profile
Hi, Josefina!

Your application looks great, there's just one small thing I want to clarify before we accept your application.

You've put down that Josefina's age is nine, but then in the RP sample, she says she's ten. I wasn't sure whether that was intended, or whether it was an accident.

If it was intended, that's fine, I just wanted to double check! If it was an accident, please could you edit whichever age is incorrect to the correct one, and then repost your entire revised application below.

Once you've done that, we can get you accepted. Thanks!
You're just a little bit out of my limit
It's been two years now you haven't even seen the best of me
And in my mind now I've been over this a thousand times
But it's almost over; Let's start over

* Josefina Soto

(14/09/2019 at 17:09)
  • Child
    • View Profile
Oops, just an accident!

E L S E W H E R E   C H I L D

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Josefina Soto Guzmán

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Parents/Guardians (Are they currently played characters?): 
Ricardo Soto & Elisa Guzmán

Residence:
New York, US Norwich, UK

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the daycare)?
N/A

Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
N/A

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Valencia Salvatierra & co.

Biography: (100 words minimum.)

“Your family should just adopt me. Then we can finally be sisters. Then I won’t have to move to England.”

Josefina whimpered, curly hair floating in the summer heat. As the sun beat down on the sidewalk right in front of the Soto residence, Josefina rested her head on Antonia’s shoulder—not even two seconds later, she collapsed pathetically into her friend’s lap.

Toni had never seen sensible, strait-laced Josefina Soto cry before until now, not even when she dropped her ice cream or got a bad grade from Miss Hall. She might have been the most sensible, strait-laced girl in all of fourth grade.

“There, there.” Her hand hovered awkwardly over Josefina’s back. “Hey, it’s okay! We’ll be sending letters all the time anyway, right? It’ll be like you never left.” Determinedly, Toni ran her fingers through the other girl’s brown waves, hoping that it felt comforting in some way or another.

“But it won’t be the same!”

“It’ll be close enough.”

“But I’ll miss you, and Carla, and Amanda, and Rachel, and everyone.” The silence that followed—that suffocating blanket of silence invading every surface of the neighborhood—did little to raise their spirits. Carla and Amanda and Rachel and everyone would miss Josefina in their somber, unsaid ways.

Then, with a grimace: “Fina, you’re getting snot all over my skirt.”

“Oh, sorry.” Josefina sniffed and dabbed at her eyes; for a moment, the tears eased from savage waterfalls to gentle streams and that unfamiliar emotion of despair seemed to be put back where it belonged—a place far away from here, far away from Brooklyn, New York. Far away from the nine-year-old tortoiseshell heart of Josefina Soto Guzmán.

-

Despair returned in the shape of the SS United States.

Josefina hugged her coffee-brown suitcase close to her chest, fearing that if there was nothing to ground her, she would be blown away by the salt-and-sweat winds. She had managed to stuff everything in there. Everything that mattered, at the very least.

(Charlotte’s Web, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, and perhaps most excitingly, an entire box set of The Lord of the Rings series, all shoved in the corner of the suitcase against dresses and baubles alike. Goodness, what if the pages got bent?)

“Mamá,” the young girl choked out finally as she tugged at Elisa’s skirt. The SS United States loomed over New York Harbor and breathed out steam in deep intervals, drenching its passengers in thick, white clouds. Her hair, so subject to the wiles of water and heat, threatened to dance up in the heavy air. “We have to turn back around. We can’t go anymore.”

“Little lady, what on earth are you talking about?”

“I… I’m sick. Fever, chills, everything. We have to schedule an appoint with a physician or something, Mamá, I think I might faint—”

“Darling, you’re acting ridiculous.”

Josefina could have exploded. Her rage fumed red, hot, and as gooey lava in the active volcano, just barely contained for the victims standing nearby. The crowd pushed around her, oblivious to the impeding storm brewing within one little Puerto Rican girl whose fists were balled indignantly at her sides. It took all her will not to scream at the sky. Instead, she became a statue and imagined herself in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

There could be no winning when it came to grown-ups. Papá had to carry her on board with the rest of their luggage.

-

How dearly Josefina wished to become an adult! How she wanted to make her own choices or know many things or not be the laughingstock of Mamá and Papá’s jokes.

On her first day of school in Norwich, the city still damned with the impressions of the Norwich Blitz in ‘42, Josefina introduced herself to the class.

“Hello, my name is Josefina. HOSE-a-FEE-na, not JOES or YOSE-a-FEE-na. I’m from New York. I like to read. I moved here because my parents got better jobs, and when I grow up, I wanna be just like them.”

Her eyes glowered accusingly at the kids at the room. How dare they not be Toni or Carla or Amanda or Rachel.

“I’m not here to make friends,” she finished off dramatically. “In fact, it won’t be long until my mom and dad let me go back to New York.”

Roleplay:
Reply as your character to the following:

Godric Park.

Overhead, the sky was a crisp blue, for once clear of the ever-pervasive spongy clouds and rain. The sun was a lemony-yellow presence, high in the Eastern sky, and in front of it zipped three broomsticks in a straight line, or something very like one. One... two..... three... the boys passed, their shouts of excitement echoing as they chased the snitch, a tiny shimmer reflecting the sunlight.

Far below was another, much smaller broomstick.

It trugged along the ground, hugging close to it like a sluggish choo choo train and occasionally shuttering in protest. This was because said stick was currently being occupied by a very small girl who was tugging upward on the front of it with all her might, trying to coax it into doing what it had been expressly designed NOT to do.

"John, I said wait up!" The tiny girl squealed, giving the broomstick another tug.

Begrudgingly, it drifted upward a foot, and then sank, depositing the troublesome girl safely on the ground. Janey Hurst was not pleased. In a huff, she hopped off the toy safety broom, grabbing it firmly and thrusting it handle first into the turf.

Her brother was such a beast. He NEVER let her play! She folded her arms, seething blue eyes fixing on another figure nearby.  "You!" She barked, much more sharply than she meant to.

"...Do you want to play?"

Roleplay Response:

“No, thank you,” Josefina snapped. “No, I would not like to play with you.”

A particularly thick book weighed down her lap, and Josefina prayed that it would keep her there until her parents forced her to leave. There were too many things wrong with their new home: it was English, it wasn’t in New York, and finally, it smelled like what she could only imagine as the previous resident’s unfortunate spoiled milk spill on the oriental rug they left behind. Mamá had yet to have it cleaned.

There were other things that culminated to fuel Josefina’s similarly spoiled mood, such as the meager breakfast she had that morning and the terrible loss of the goodbye card signed with all of her classmates’ names in their quaint, hideous scrawl. Two weeks and she still failed to discover even one good thing about England.

(Except for their funny accents. She and Papá could have made fun of them all day.)

“I’m nine-years-old, you see. Far too old to be playing with… with a girl as infantile as you.” As she continued to ramble to little Janey Hurst, Josefina began to smile—the type children tended to imitate when they felt self-important and smug to their juniors, as if the slight difference in their age was an achievement deserving of a medal.

OTHER
How did you find us? TopSites!

* Calypso Ross

(14/09/2019 at 18:27)
  • Head of Auror Office
  • C30D24T23S21
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Biggest Teacher's Pet ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['42-'43] Queen of the Hospital Wing
    • View Profile
Accepted!

G
Daring, Determination, Drive

Tags: