Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Izolda Pavlova [Astronomy]  (Read 853 times)

Izolda Pavlova

(02/12/2015 at 18:56)

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character name: Izolda Vladimirovna Pavlova

Previous and/or Current Character(s) if applicable: Zailey Petrova, Jezebel Morgenstern, and Viktoria Borovsky

Character age: 28; born 14 February 1918 in Petrograd (St. Petersburg), Russia.

Character education: Durmstrang (1929-1936): Prefect
Lomonosov Moscow State University (1936-1940): Dual Major in Astronomy and Chemistry.

Strength and weaknesses (details please): Izolda is an out-of-the-box thinker and highly observational. She has a knack for numbers and astronomical facts, thanks to her specialty, and enjoys educating the younger generation on the way space works. On the flip side, Izolda is often considered cruel for her blunt way of putting things and is critical of those she expects more out of. Izolda is also quite skilled at improvisation.

Physical description: Standing at a solid 5’11”, Izolda embodies the spirit of the Russian people in nearly every sense of the word. Sturdily built, soft ivory skin tinged with the faintest hints of olive, and long golden locks are just a few of the striking features that set her apart from her dark-headed peers of similar heritage. Her appearance makes her seem much more pleasant than she actually is.

Personality (nice, rude, funny etc. Paragraph please.): By no means is Izolda shy or rude, just brutally honest and unimpressed with the lackadaisical attitudes around her. Smart as a whip, she could charm you right out of your clothes, but would refrain from doing so out of respect for those around you. Often times she will just say what is on her mind without thinking of the consequences, but-in her defense-she only brings things up to challenge your way of thinking.

Hopes and dreams. Why are you teaching at Hogwarts?:Izolda is here for one reason, her daughter. Having received word of the fair-haired girl that attended Hogwarts, she longed to find any outlet she could to make contact. Luckily enough, the Russian heard of the Astronomy opening and, with her experience at the Ministry, decided to put her occupational skills to good use.

Biography (500 words minimum. There is never such a thing as too much.): The Mother Land has always been my home.

I was born on St. Valentine's Day in 1918. My mother spoke fondly of the day of my birth, even about the biting temperature and the layer of snow that covered the walkways and streets beneath the warmth of our flat in St. Petersburg. My life has always been one of comfort and luxury thanks to my Father and war.

As a child I was smart as a whip, or so it's been noted, but my mouth could never keep up with the my wit and intellect. It left me with a stutter that took a great many of years to break, but when I finally blossomed it was a sight to behold. There was no doubt that I took after the maternal side of my family, and there was no doubt that my future children would embark down the same genetic path.

I have always known of my magical heritage and the powers that us witches and wizards are granted with upon birth, my calling has always been of the Divine Arts and I have never once shied away from it. It's the very reason I came to London, I just knew she was here. We will get to that soon enough though.

When I was eleven, I received my call from Durmstrang and my formal years of training were set to begin. I had lost my stutter and gained a confidence, a sureness, that I had never known. To say I excelled at school would be an understatement; I was, year-after-year, top of my class and had a group of well-rounded friends.

In my fifth year, I was named a Prefect and it only increased my popularity among my peers. And then I met him.

Ivan.

He became my world, my everything despite our difference in age. We had met while I was on weekend in Moscow. Ivan was tall and brooding, highly intelligent despite the social awkwardness he exhibited, and together we were madly in love. Or so my fifteen years of experience led me to believe.

In the fall of 1932, I came down with a severe illness that left me bedridden for weeks. Too weak to eat, let alone hold anything down, I spent my days longing for the outdoors, for the busy streets of Moscow, and for Ivan. The physician came and told me to expect the unexpected; I already knew what he had meant.

On May 01, 1933 I gave birth to twins; a boy and a girl. They were not unloved, despite Ivan’s noticeable disappearance, and the last memory I have of my two beloved’s is the screaming of my little girl as the nurse carried her away and I was returned to Durmstrang.

My life back at school was incomplete, I longed for my children, but rules were rules and a fifteen-year-old mother was both inappropriate and inconvenient for both Durmstrang and my family. Not only had I lost my will to exist, I had lost Ivan and my twins as well.

I was a heartbroken girl.

In the spring of 1936 I graduated from Durmstrang and spent my summer trying to track down the fate of my children. I had been lucky enough to appoint them names and therefore had a starting point. I was successfully able to locate the orphanage but I was too late. They were both gone. One to England and the other to India.

I knew then what my destiny was. Every child needs their Mother and every Mother needs their child; it's the way of life.

SAMPLE ROLEPLAY
(Please respond to to this in third person past tense. Do not write the other characters' reactions. Only your own.)

It was the largest office in Hogwarts and, perhaps to students and newcomers, the most intimidating. The shelves were filled with various odds and ends, with a place of honor for the Sorting Hat, and the walls held all the portraits of past Headmasters and Headmistresses.

In the middle of the room sat a large desk. Everything was in order, for the current occupant had always despised a messy desk. It was the sign of a messy mind, and she had always favored neatness.

A clock sat on the desk, which currently showed the time to be 2:05. The meeting was supposed to begin at 2:00 precisely.

Along with order, Anneka valued punctuality. She was a very busy woman these days. Even during the summer, she had a number of matters to attend to. Interviewing and hiring staff was only of those matters. The newest potential member of her staff wasn't making a good impression.

She paced the room, black heels clicking against the stone floor. When the door finally opened, Anneka turned, her expression reminiscent of a Russian winter. "You are late."

Explain yourself was what her face said.

Roleplay Response: As Izolda crossed the threshold she remarked how the Headmistress' was as icy as the winters of the Motherland; something the Russian longed for and yet she had found such relief in the rainy afternoons of Wizarding London. "Prosti," she began apologetically, her eyes wandering to the clock as she read the time from Anneka's perspective. Looking back to her watch, she cleared her throat and made a mental note to ensure, next time, that her time was in sync with those of Hogwarts. "My sincerest apologies, Headmistress Ivanova."

Carefully she moved to open the large black portfolio bag resting on her shoulder, pale hands extracting a crisp black leather binder from its depths. "These are my lesson plans, syllabus, and credentials." she stated matter-of-factly as she stuck out the book. She was nervous but trying her damnest to keep her nerves under lock and key; Izolda needed this job more than she had ever needed anything else, if not for financial purposes than surely for the potential of finding her daughter.

"If you need more credentials, I'm sure I could send for some more documentation from Lomonosov or even, perhaps, Durmstrang."

Her daughter. It was all her mind ever thought of anymore. The Ministry hadn't been happy with her request for extended leave, and neither had Izolda truthfully, but this was one step closer to her. One step closer to writing the end of a chapter that had haunted her every day for nearly thirteen years.

In addition to posting a completed application in this forum, we also ask that you submit a PM to Anneka Ivanova with details of your class and with the lesson plans for that class (include at least a minimum of 4 lessons). Also, please be sure to check the Available Positions thread located in this forum to make sure the class you want is available before applying.

Tags: izolda pavlova