Student applications are open for the 1971-72 term!

Author Topic: Elsewhere and getting started for new players  (Read 1060 times)

HSNet Guest

(08/03/2016 at 00:54)
  • Just this guy, you know?
    • View Profile
Hi! I used to play here a long, long time ago and I'm interested in coming back... Since it's a few weeks before student applications are open, I thought I'd get back into the swing of things with an Elsewhere character. Everything has changed so much, and it looks amazing! Except that I'm finding it a bit challenging to prepare that character because the information I can access is a tad limited without accepted-character viewing permissions.

Primarily, I am wondering if there's an active shop listing for us new players to peruse. I may want this character to help in a shop, or possibly arrange to set one up if something similar to their interests doesn't already exist. The proposed shops seem to be up on this board, but accepted applications just say that they've been accepted. I'd like to know more about what sorts of opportunities there are to jump in.

Because this is such a huge community and what I presume is the main interest (the Hogwarts castle) has limited enrollment periods, it might be helpful for new players to be able to better know their Elsewhere options so they can get started. I was going to try Camp Loki, it looks pretty dead since the start of term. Perhaps new players could be given viewing but not posting permission for the Elsewhere forums in addition to Camp Loki while they're preparing their applications.

TL;DR I'm looking for some help in getting started with an Elsewhere character because I'm finding things a bit "black box" with the viewing permissions of a new player. Or should I just wait til April and apply my student?

Thank you!

* Martin Hawksworth

(08/03/2016 at 05:00)
  • Auror
  • C24D25T22S16
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner!
    • View Profile
Hello and welcome back to the site!

You are right about the Elsewhere board being a good way to catch up and familiarize yourself with the site again. It is true that prospective members are limited in what they see, but we do this to keep our ongoing site-plots, character stories and past history protected. New members have to agree to the registration agreement before proceeding on with character creation, which helps show us that they have given some thought to their fellow writers.

As for an active shop listing, I can look into this, but do to the challenging nature of keeping such a list up-to-date with new shops, their descriptions and their employee openings, the process might become a bit cumbersome.

However, this shouldn’t stop you from going in a direction that you are interested in! I try to keep my character somewhat vague at first, with only a few references to the employment/scholastic direction I imagine them going in. This works especially well since our primary elsewhere establishments - Saint Mungos, Ministry of Magic, Daily Prophet – require additional applications to be filled out for acceptance. These are easy apps but they help you form your character’s employment history. If you’d like your character to work for a specific shop then you’ll be contacting the owner of that shop to make further plans.

Long story short, feel free to say that your character works at an ‘unnamed’ shop, is looking for work or is self-employed. Then you can peruse the elsewhere board for the establishment that fits them perfectly after their application has been accepted!

Our Summer Camp is definitely a great place during the sorting months. It will open up and become quite the hopping place the first of April, but it is meant as almost a training ground for new players and hopeful characters awaiting application acceptance. It also gives our existing students a place to spend their summer! We don’t really use Camp Loki outside of the summer months though, although we have opened the ‘Freestyle Roleplaying’ section to our members wishing to play out different time periods or alternative character histories.

If I were you, I would definitely make an Elsewhere character that you can imagine being open to change. Unemployment is always easy to imagine, a ‘starving artist’ works if you’d like, keeping their employment just vague enough will give you options… the sky is the limit!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D
« Last Edit: 08/03/2016 at 05:06 by Martin Hawksworth »

I heard you’re a player

Nice to meet you, I’m the coach

Tags: