We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Lupin Sol | Elsewhere Child  (Read 727 times)

Lupin Sol

(07/08/2018 at 22:23)
  • Head Nurse
  • C10D9T9S9
    • View Profile
E L S E W H E R E   C H I L D

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Lupin Sol

Bloodline: Pureblood (Ish)

Parents/Guardians (Are they currently played characters?):  [Currently Undisclosed]

Residence: Lived in Newark, New Jersey

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the daycare)? No

Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason? No

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Adrian Alric, Orion Alricsson, Andromeda Wagner

Biography: (100 words minimum.)

Age 11

"Hey pinhead!"

He had heard it for the hundredth time already this year. He scoffed, the strain on his face wrinkling his brow as he continued to walk down the sidewalk. His black backpack hung off one shoulder, visibly ripped where the drawstring would have come up to close it. Like he usually did when leaving school, he ignored whoever was following him this afternoon.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!"

It was a new voice this time, their mob mentality making the intent of what was going to come if he didn't hurry pretty obvious. He picked up his pace, eyes darting ahead to mark coming intersection. Three blocks. The small room he lived out of with his mother would have added another block, but Mr. Sol's shop was only three blocks away. He could make it.

He didn't make it.

Walking into the older man's shop, Lupin's gaze was downcast. It had been a few weeks coming, isolation in the eyes of the schoolyard making him appear vulnerable. His right eye was already swelling shut, blood flowing from an open gash on the opposite side of his face as well as his split lip. More than his face he could feel it in his ribs, in his gut, in his lungs struggling to find air and his bruised knuckles that had proven insufficient. The short chime above the door of the corner store alerted its elder clerk that he had a customer. It would have been better than meeting his mother in this state.

"Young, mister Lupin," he heard the distinct voice of the man he had grown to admire. Lupin tried not to face him but his silky inflections begged eye contact. When he looked at the face of the elder man, graying furry eyebrows narrowing over his thin, brown eyes, he expected judgment. What he got instead was a smile.

"You are a very brave boy, mister Lupin. Not using magic," Lupin's own face twisted, eyes immediately scattering to make sure they were alone. Of course they were, but the habit was hard to shake. He nodded, finding the strength to fight the pull of his eyes and let them settle on his feet where he could feel its comfort. Yes, even surrounded by several kids his age he still felt like the outcast. It was a sad realization to realize that your closest friend was a man approaching sixty who most of the neighborhood hated for the basis of his heritage. That even though he served the United States in the war against his homeland, bigotry outweighed empathy.

It was probably that, more than anything, that connected them.

Age 13

He was crying.

It was one of the few times in his life. Certainly the first in a long time, because boys weren't suppose to cry. He remembered then, the last person he had seen cry in public and how schoolyard viciousness made sure to remind them all of what happened when you decided that was acceptable. But Lupin was alone in the hospital room, wearing his Sunday best and feeling the shock of large hole that had just been dug in his soul. An empty chasm that would never be able to heal. Maybe if he would have noticed the blood when she coughed earlier, if he would have persisted in asking about it when it continued, maybe the he wouldn't be here.

He wasn't a kid anymore.

British Customs

"And you were traveling alone, mister...?"

"Sol," he answered, taking his adopted name to heart as he answered. He had to be proud of it, thankful for it, or his life would not have been his own. He'd be another number in the system, in each of the spheres he lived in. The clerk looked him up and down, his own gaze not faltering. With a shrug, he stamped his passport and Lupin was on his way. Or, at least he thought so.

"Excuse me, might you come this way."

The woman, faded blonde hair mainly hided behind a pointy hat, wearing off-putting clothing of deep jade, smiled at him once they looked at each other. His face, deathly serious normally, did not soften even at the sincerity that oozed from it. Looking back at the clerk who hadn't acknowledged this interaction one bit, his attention back on his line, Lupin was about to ask until-

"No need to ask that muggle, child. He can't see me."

That was a way to steal back his attention. When he looked back, the woman was already walking away. Right into a wall. Instead of bouncing off the solid enclosing, she slipped right through with barely a shimmer showing. Eyes wide, Lupin froze where he stood. Then, a hand reached through and waved him to come in.

"Mister... Sol, is it?" He nodded upon taking his seat, dropping his luggage on the floor as he did. "You have a wand, correct?"

It was his mother's. The blackened timber, African blackwood, a just under a foot long and slightly curved. Lupin took it out of the inside of his coat where it was hidden underneath a secret pocket, holding it out for the woman who had yet to reveal her own name. But, the wonder of the magical community come to life, come to him, had shed his defensive nature for the moment. As she took it, his eyes looked around the room. There was a creature with a mean face that could have passed for a frog if it didn't have a row of shark-like teeth scratching the bowl it swam in. There were clippings of newspapers pinned to the small cubicle they sat in, the moving pictures capturing his attention until she spoke again.

"There, now it has the trace. We overheard you did not answer the clerk, but this isn't just a temporary stay, is it?" At this point, he figured the truth was the only route he could take. He nodded and her smile eased the breathlessness he was experiencing.

"Well, if you are to be attending school then we would have to contact your parent of guardian, I see it's a Mister Sol?"

"No," he said, shaking his head. "It'll be my father."

"And who is he?" came the obvious follow-up. Lupin sighed, shrugging and beginning to shake his head.

"I'm here to find him."

Roleplay:
Reply as your character to the following:

Godric Park.

Overhead, the sky was a crisp blue, for once clear of the ever-pervasive spongy clouds and rain. The sun was a lemony-yellow presence, high in the Eastern sky, and in front of it zipped three broomsticks in a straight line, or something very like one. One... two..... three... the boys passed, their shouts of excitement echoing as they chased the snitch, a tiny shimmer reflecting the sunlight.

Far below was another, much smaller broomstick.

It trugged along the ground, hugging close to it like a sluggish choo choo train and occasionally shuttering in protest. This was because said stick was currently being occupied by a very small girl who was tugging upward on the front of it with all her might, trying to coax it into doing what it had been expressly designed NOT to do.

"John, I said wait up!" The tiny girl squealed, giving the broomstick another tug.

Begrudgingly, it drifted upward a foot, and then sank, depositing the troublesome girl safely on the ground. Janey Hurst was not pleased. In a huff, she hopped off the toy safety broom, grabbing it firmly and thrusting it handle first into the turf.

Her brother was such a beast. He NEVER let her play! She folded her arms, seething blue eyes fixing on another figure nearby.  "You!" She barked, much more sharply than she meant to.

"...Do you want to play?"

Roleplay Response:

"Sure?"

It came out quizzically. Lupin had been on the outskirts of the park area, dribbling a ball between his legs to pass the time. The red thing, called a quaffle he'd been told, was meant to be thrown but without the right equipment to play the wizarding game he was better left kicking it around and attracting as little attention as possible.

That hadn't worked out so well.

"Sure," he said again, this time more assertively. He tried to offer a soft smile, one to let the stranger know that he wasn't someone she should pass over. Lupin picked up the ball from his feet, holding it between two hands.

He wasn't dressed for running. Even if the weather was agreeable, he had left with a jacket on expecting it to rain sooner or later. At the first sign of droplets, the boy was told to run back to his house. His jacket was wrapped around his waist, black jeans and an over-sized Army tee making up the rest of his outfit. The shirt reached halfway to his knees, which made why he had been left alone make more sense if he would have been aware to it.

"Here, catch!" With the ball pressed between his palms on either side, Lupin extended his elbows to throw her a chest pass.

OTHER
How did you find us? | Recommendation |

Marina Lamont

(09/08/2018 at 22:25)
  • Marine Magizoologist
  • C14D8T16S10
  • ['48-'49] Quidditch Champions Player of the Week
    • View Profile
Accepted!
I set my sail

Fly
the wind it will take me