We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: PHILOSOPHY OF MAGIC - Lobelius Ivening Taberford  (Read 856 times)

* Lobelius Taberford

(15/12/2014 at 13:15)
  • Philosophy of Magic Professor
  • C14D15T17S13
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character name: Lobelius Ivening Taberford

Previous and/or Current Character(s) if applicable:
Leander Laskos (E) Mercutio Duke (E), Venadikt Borovsky (E), Cosmina Laskos (H)

Character age:
46 years strong (and amazingly supple!)
April 18th, 1897
Aries

Character education:
1915 - Graduate of Hogwarts, Hufflepuff House
1918 - Diplomate of the Applied Arts of Herbological Study
           Valedictorian of his graduating class
           Honors in Herbs and Proficient in Potions
           Completed with 1 semester abroad in Morocco
1924 - 6 month Field Study in the Amazon Jungle
1932 - 1 year sabbatical in Nepal studying

Strength and weaknesses (details please):
No one is perfect, but objectively, Lobelius comes pretty close. Driven, determined, and dedicated with a high ethical code, Lobelius does not give in easily and accomplishes what he sets his mind to do. Though he has a high standard for himself and does hope to encourage the best in everyone, Lobelius appreciates everyone efforts and sees them for their best self.

He’s always quite honest with his feelings, but generally those he acts on are only those which are positive. He’ll readily give you his opinion if you ask it, even if all he has to say is that you’re a terrible person.

The strength of his pulse could rival a hippogriff’s. Because of all the running. He does a lot. Also badminton.

In general, his spirit is indomitable. Even after disappointment, Lobelius always believes in ‘better next time!’ Complete failure he is unused to, and therefore if it should happen (he does not remember the last time he really failed something) it might come as a shock. Whether it would threaten to debilitate his spirit remains to be seen.

As if in conjunction with his loftier goals, sometimes others may find Lobelius a little aloof. In general, he is aware of social boundaries and proper behavior, but occasionally his enthusiasm will take him a little too far.

Physical description:
Witches over the years have found a lot to admire in Lobelius. Who could resist noticing the tall, active  physique of an athlete, the perpetually ready smile of sales wizard, and thick lashes framing blue-grey eyes? Though the smile may crinkle a few lines at the corner of his eyes, a high intake of vitamin A and regular use of flaxseed oil and witch hazel to maintain a glowing, soft, and youthful complexion. He has a great cream for that. He’ll share the recipe, if you’d like!

Personality:
Yes, there is a potion for Lobelius’ kind of happiness. But that’s not to say he needs it.
An endlessly enthusiastic whirlwind of positivity, Lobelius may come off as a joke to some, but he is very serious-- just with a smile! He really is that happy. About everything.

Literally.

Over the course of his young adulthood, Lobelius became an increasing devotee to whole, holistic health-- mind, body, spirit, and magic. It is that philosophy that is ingrained in every routine run, swallowed supplement,  and murmured meditation.  Encouragement and enthusiasm are the hallmarks of his interactions with not only the world around him but the people as well. When not inviting others to joining him for his light morning marathon or the a cup of an oddly foggy brew, Lobelius is alway ready to offer sincerely grandiloquent congratulations and animated recognition for every effort (or even appearance of effort). Though his accomplishments tend be taken to a certain extreme, in others, Lobelius earnestly believes there is no achievement too small to be acknowledged.

He sees potential in everybody, everyday.

Hopes and dreams. Why are you teaching at Hogwarts?:
Why am I seeking a position here at Hogwarts? Because Hogwarts is a good school, with good people, and surrounding myself with good, positive energy is one of the secrets to my health and uncannily youthful appearance.

I have always enjoyed helping others. I believe that by helping others, the one you really help-- is yourself. And them. It's win, win!

As professor, I believe positive thinking, encouragement, and a thoroughly whitened smile are the three tools I bring to this prestigious scholastic institution. Hogwarts has the crucial commission in guiding and informing our wizarding youth to become responsible, robust, and slightly older youth. This is a responsibility I readily adopt and relish the opportunity to put into practice!

I also possess exquisitely neat penmanship. Legibility is a keystone to the learning curve-- the prestigious arch that buttresses the foundations of this exemplary school!

Biography:
A Letter home from Morocco
I am learning so much abroad! Did you know that in Morocco they wear ? I have three pairs. If you send me your sizes I can have them delivered by post!

It is also quite warm here. I have to hydrate, a lot. Good thing tea is very popular here! And so many varieties! Here are some of the ones I try to drink regularly:
wormwood, sage, pau d’arco -- bitter- but beneficial!
mistletoe, oakmoss, elecampane, rue -- absolutely awful, but still  made my mouth feel like airplanes!
mullein, calendula, comfrey -- my intestinal tract is completely cleansed!
mint tea -- fascinating!

I’ve included samples of each.

Rode a camel last week. Amazing creature!. It licked my hair! Picture is enclosed.

Hope you are all doing well! Try the teas!

Lobelius

An Introduction to his graduating thesis
Mandrake Meditation: The Power of Inner Peace in Application to the Care and Culture of a Particularly Particular Plant.

How the meditative chanting and moderated aeration of soil can soothe and supplement a growing mandrake plant. Three key developmental stages where the meditative application can be most beneficial:
1. Just before repotting, the efficacy of practice in order to prevent those effects which make the cultivation of mandrake roots incidentally hazardous.
2. To be used in combination with regular aerations of the soil as the plant nears and enters adolescence in order to produce a less fussy specimen.
3. When preparing the specimen for harvesting, by now the practice ought to be dogmatic in soothing the plant and if successfully done, thereby make the plant easier to remove with less incidence of death, and increased likelihood of merely madness or coma.

A partial draft of his Valedictorian Speech
Standing here in front of you all, I’m honored. Each wizard (and witch!) here are all so talented. And most of all, great! I would like to acknowledge that thanks to all of you and our fantastic faculty, that I made it here on this podium. It was all of your hard work which helped to fuel my hard work, fueled by all of that holistic herbal energy into academic application and achievement! Now that’s what I call a super perpetuating brew! Am I right?

I’d like us to take the wizard’s (or witch’s!) hand next to you and all together congratulate the graduating class and all our esteemed fellow colleagues as we pro-’seed’ after our graduation I offer the following advice: Always hedge your bets. When in doubt return to your roots. And don’t let any bumps in the road you may encounter soil your day. And remember there is always another season.

A Entry from his Sabbatical Journal
At first I had hard time getting past my robes. Orange can be quite an invigorating color! Very spiritual here. Great energy. Not so great for clearing one’s mind, it turns out.

After five hours I finally found my breath. I didn’t even knew I’d lost it!

My body has felt so locked yet so limber all at the same time!

SAMPLE ROLEPLAY
(Please respond to to this in third person past tense. Do not write the other characters' reactions. Only your own.)

It was the largest office in Hogwarts and, perhaps to students and newcomers, the most intimidating. The shelves were filled with various odds and ends, with a place of honor for the Sorting Hat, and the walls held all the portraits of past Headmasters and Headmistresses.

In the middle of the room sat a large desk. Everything was in order, for the current occupant had always despised a messy desk. It was the sign of a messy mind, and she had always favored neatness.

A clock sat on the desk, which currently showed the time to be 2:05. The meeting was supposed to begin at 2:00 precisely.

Along with order, Anneka valued punctuality. She was a very busy woman these days. Even during the summer, she had a number of matters to attend to. Interviewing and hiring staff was only of those matters. The newest potential member of her staff wasn't making a good impression.

She paced the room, black heels clicking against the stone floor. When the door finally opened, Anneka turned, her expression reminiscent of a Russian winter. "You are late."

Explain yourself was what her face said.

Roleplay Response:
To say that Lobelius was well prepared for this position at his alma mater was, as in most attempts to pin the herbalist down, not exactly adequate. It lacked the kind of verve with which Lobelius pursued most things which was practically inexplicable. His zest for life was more than a simple bit of lemon peel in his morning tea, it was a little spark that could light up whole cities if properly harnessed. So far, however, neither science nor magic had not advanced so far.

Though certain regimens of herbals came close, so Lobelius would argue.

On the other hand, Lobelius was frequently prepared to talk about most things, and inquiries into his own abilities was as an easy topic as any other. Compiling a list of all his accomplishments was as monumental a task as his hike up Mount Taranaki, but also just as much a journey through his memories.

He had spent several years in and out of his Kirkcudbright apartments, New Zealand being just one on a long list of various expeditions and including a particular fascinating trek at Cape Horn for the last fourteen months. He’d come back with a significantly golden cast to his skin, but also a trove of knowledge on new curing and gathering methods for some uniquely South American herbs. He looked, therefore, rather too traveled and foreign comparative to his neighbors, but he settled back into his Scottish roots like one of its finely crafted sweaters. The truth be told, despite the fantastic, amazing, wonderful places he’d been thanks to his profession and his wanderlust, Lobelius was at the point of settling down roots in more familiar grounds. And he knew the peaty, fertile soil of Scotland was a great place to start.

His mandrake roots were thriving already.

Tucked under his arm was a gift for his prospective employer, another proverbial fruit of his garden. It was, in fact, a herb and not a fruit. It was a potted lavender shrub (ideal for released energy blockages, higher consciousness, among other benefits; therefore, fitting for the headmistress of an educational institution) and flowering bewitchingly. In addition to its calming properties, the particular variety he was about to offer Ms Ivanova was of the Luxembourgeoised variety, which, when watered with a sugar water mixture hummed a chord in perfect fifth harmony which was an ideal soundscape for meditation. (It was precisely this variety which, seven years prior, he had attempted to research if it could be taught simple melodies. Beethoven had taken best.)

Standing outside the Headmistress’ office (back straight, core engaged), he smiled brightly at the portraits in the hall, greeting them as he did his neighbors and old friends.  And so, when ushered into Ms Ivanova’s office, he was feeling sufficiently cheered on-- even despite the rather disapproving looks one of the paintings had given him. Lobelius merely thanked him for challenging him to prove he could earn the position. Luck could only take you so far either good or bad. The true test was how you responded to it. And Lobelius always responded with tenacious positivity.                           

The Headmistress, conversely, appeared less pleased on their initial meeting than he. But the sharp look that welcomed him didn’t daunt him any less. Cheerily he approached her in enthusiastic, confident (gracefully athletic) strides and extended his hand not currently occupied by humming lavender.

“Headmistress Anneka Ivanova,” he said deliberately, committing face and name to memory. After a confirming pause he pulled back and issued his (impeccably straight) bright smile in greeting.

“You are late,” the headmistress charged. Lobelius smiled broadly, the warmth of his bared teeth (candescently white and welcoming) capable of deflecting all but the most reciprocatingly friendly reply.

“Of course the Headmistress of Hogwarts would know.  I know it is already 1:0--” the prospective professor looked down at his time piece for accuracy, “seven. And I do usually make my habitual hour early arrival to appointments. I hope there is still chance to rectify this impresion in the remaning fourty-three--” he spared another look, “ fourty-two minutes.”

His hand still extended, ready to grip affirmatively, he introduced himself formally, “Lobelius Taberford, your two o’clock appointment.”
❖ 
THE fruition of Dreams IS NOT THROUGH MEANS OF MAGIC  
BUT THE REWARD OF DETERMINATION, HARD WORK, AND SWEAT

Tags: