We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Arcus Ricardus  (Read 869 times)

Rid

(25/08/2012 at 12:33)
  • Wandmaker
  • C20D23T21S16
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile

Application for Salem Institute

? CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name: Arcus Ricardus

Birthday: 24-06-1960

Hometown: Freethorpe, Norfolk, UK

Bloodline: Pureblood

Magical Strength: Divination

Magical Weakness: Summoning

Year (pick two): Third/Fourth year (Fourth is preferred)

Biography:
The oak looked sad that day. Everything looked sad that day. Even the owl Aeris who was always in a good mood -when his feathers weren't pulled out by Salazar, that was- seemed sad. Like something bad was about to happen.

A silence before the hell breaks loose.

The young boy had been scared away by his older brother just a second ago and now, he was trying to figure out what to do with his time. Or actually, he already knew. Arcus was planning on convincing his father Loxias that he wouldn't go to Hogwarts. That he wanted to go to the Salem institute instead. There was something about the dreary English weather that Arcus didn't know how to handle. The vibe didn't feel good.

The Hogwarts castle scared him to death.

"Father, may I talk to you for a little while?" The young boy had knocked on the wooden door and he sneaked a look around the door. His father was sitting behind a heavy desk. The smell of firewhiskey filled Arcus' nose and he was suddenly scared that his father had been drinking. Loxias Junior was a scary person to see. Someone who just walked out of the horror movie.

"It's about my education, Father." Arcus deserved a nod of approval and the boy let himself in. Plopping down in a leather seat after he had closed the door, he looked into the piercing eyes of his father. No one had more intimidating eyes than his father. Maybe that was why Aeris didn't like hanging out around here. Simply nothing could escape the gaze from this man, the future head of the Ricardus family and already a mystery to everyone. No one knew who he truly was -even Arcus didn't know anything more than what he had learnt from the rumors.

"What do you want, Son?" It was always intimidating when Loxias started to call you son. Like you had to be even more careful. The young boy's hands became sweaty and he wanted to wipe them off on his trousers, but pinned to his chair, he wasn't even able to move a muscle. He managed to swallow after a while.

"You know how much I dislike the place where Hogwarts has been founded, Father. You know that I'm not looking forward to be educated there. I hoped that there might be a chance to break the family traditions and to go to Salem instead." A small voice was everything the boy could muster at the moment. The Ricardus' son looked down at his hand and started to nervously bite his nails.

So that was why everything had been silent; because hell would break loose right away.

"You are mocking me, Son. You can't. Slytherin House is a family tradition, we go there since the school has been founded. You can't go to Salem! It's not honorable to break with the traditions of your family, Arcus Ricardus! Don't you have any idea of what honor is? Don't you know how to behave!?" Loxias rose from his chair and erected himself to the 6' tall person he was. The hands were placed on the desk and the older man leaned over the surface to look Arcus in the eyes. "Aren't you grateful for your last name, Ricardus? Aren't you happy that you are a pureblood Ricardus? Don't you feel like a coward now you want to betray your own blood? The same blood that's running in your veins!?"

A flicker of scared thoughts in the younger boy his eyes when he looked at his father. When he caught his breath as he was scared, how his heart skipped a beat. The nostrils of the scarecrow that was his father thrilled with anger. He was not pleased. And hide when Loxias Ricardus Junior is not pleased.

"Father, just for a year, or two. I have to stand on my own feet one day, and I think I can start with it at Salem institute. Let me please try it. When it won't work out, you may have the honors to rub it in my face and to taunt me with 'I told you so,'" Arcus looked frightened at his father. At the madman in front of him. "Please, I'm pleading with you. I'd do anything."

The expression on the male's face changed. Not into even more rage, but now in some disregard. Some disgust.

"You, betrayer. Get your bloody arse out of my Hall. Out of England. You're not worthy to be a Ricardus!"

Maybe, that was a way to make sure that Arcus wasn't a Ricardus anymore, but to Arcus it meant something like: yes, approved, pack your bags and you're going to Salem Institute.

In a rush of weird happiness, Arcus jumped up, and left with a big smile on his face. He ducked when he reached the door, making sure that the bottle of firewhiskey that was thrown after him hit the door instead of the back of his head.

Thank you, Father. Being disowned for a while never felt so good.

I'm off -see you later.

? ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and I choose to complete it.

Society Request: ROOK SOCIETY
Arcus is a studious boy. Unlike his older and his younger brothers, he likes to read and to stick his nose into the old and dusty books that Ricardus Hall has to offer. He loves divination and he's often found looking for something to do with that. Plus, as he has many qualities, he doesn't know what he wants to do after graduation -other than rotting behind a desk, that is.

Personality: Arcus is... different. A target for bullies.

He is a silent boy at first sight, unlike his brothers, who enjoys a good book and a nice cup of coffee. Though, he's incredibly down to earth. Everyone who wants to come any closer to him than a few feet could expect a questions. Odd questions like; "Why do the birds fly so low today?" and "Why is the badger always digging?" are no exceptional questions for this kid.

As he's a little odd in his own way, you might expect a social failure. But he's not. He hasn't heard of shutting your mouth before you hurt someone with words, and that's why he has his tongue on his sleeve. He is not afraid to carry out his thoughts.

As a Ricardus, he is not exceptionally proud. He does think that Muggleborns and Muggles aren't that different to the wizarding people. That's why Arcus will support his older brother Salazar in breaking free. He's less reckless than his older brother and nicer company to spend the day with as he believes almost everything you say to him and is always happy.

Appearance: The brown haired boy is currently standing at the height of 5'8 -will get to 6'2 when he gets older. He has blue eyes that are a bit too dreamy sometimes. He isn't (yet) athletically built, and thus a bit of a slim kid. As he has just hit puberty, his arms and legs are way too long for him and as he's trying to figure out how to deal with that, he wanders around like a complete fool.

? SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
Please reply to the Sample Roleplay below.

Books.

Seriously, all those books. It was simply marvelous. Amazing. Stunned, Arcus looked around to the books. The worn covers, the thin spines of the books. The thin pages with all the words that whispered words. The silent stories of the past, the present and the future. All this knowledge the books held. All the knowledge that Arcus could extract from the books.

Picking a randomly chosen book, he dusted it off with his hand and felt the imprinted letters on the cover. They turned ivory after all this time. The hard blue of the cover was getting thin at some places and thin wires of the fabric let loose at the corners. Maybe, Arcus should fix this little fellow one day. Because it looked incredibly sad here. Although very worn, it didn't look like a lot of people had shown interest in this particular book.

That was a pity. An absolute shame.

Why he was here, had a rather curious case of his own, though. He had been paired up with some kid to write something about the Muggleworld. Loxias Junior, his father, would greatly disapprove. Just like he had disapproved when Arcus told him that he wanted to go to Salem. Just for a little while -even a year or two would suffice. But the young boy just wanted to escape England. Far away from home, he finally felt alive.

"How about I write the essay and stuff? You can just put your name on it. Sound good?" There was his partner. The hazel eyes of Arcus spied the face of the boy. He didn't recognize the kid than just from class. But was the kid thinking that Arcus was one of those lazy kids like all the other Ricardi? Then, the kid was wrong.

"If a tree falls over in a forest and there is no one to witness it and to hear it, how could you say for absolute certainty that the tree has made some noise? I don't want to be a tree that won't get noticed. I want to help you. I'll write with you, of course I will. I'm a hard worker, you will see. You will see..." The last words nothing more than a whisper, and as his eyes had wandered away to the book shelves again he tried to figure out why the boy wanted to do all the work himself. There was no need to.

Arcus was clever enough. Probably, he would finish his part of his essay this very night. A whimsy smile on his face while he thought of it.

? ABOUT YOU.

Previous Characters (if applicable): Ignis Fides Rivers, Salazar Ricardus

How did you find us?: Through the marvelous world of the internet.

* J.Q. Winchester

(25/08/2012 at 19:22)
  • President, Salem Institute
    • View Profile
Dear Arcus Ricardus,

We are pleased to inform you that your application to Salem Institute has been accepted. Please report to Ms. Lenore Bixby in Admissions (Main Hall, Room 206) at your earliest convenience. Currently, it is summer in our universe, and we recommend bringing appropriate attire for the climate as well as your necessary coursebooks.

Cordially,

J.Q. Winchester
President, Salem Institute

Tags: