Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Student Application: Lucas Cho  (Read 1063 times)

Lucas Cho

(27/04/2017 at 20:17)
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.

Name:
Lucas Edmund Cho

Birthday:
April 25, 1933

Hometown:
London

Bloodline:
Pureblood

Magical Strength (pick one):
 Charms

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Divination

Year (pick two):
year 6/ year 7

Biography:
If you are applying to be a first, second, or third year, your biography must be at least one hundred words long.
If you are applying to be a fourth year or above, your biography must be at least three hundred words long.

Lucas Edmund Cho was born to an English Broom Maker and a Chinese ministry worker in the department of International Magic Relations in St. Mungos Hospital in London on the 25th of April in 1920. He grew up spending most of his childhood either in his father's small broom shop in Diagon Alley or in the Ministry of Magic. This has resulted in a deep love for shopping and spending time in shops in general as well as very pretty stationery and neat handwriting. With a broom maker as a father he also took a liking to flying as a young child already and after a lot of begging - and screaming and crying and pouting and more begging and even a little bit of kicking (because toddlers are exhausting and he was only four at the time) - his father taught him how to fly a broom and a few years later how to play Quidditch.
His mother, a career woman, spent little to no time at home on weekdays but planned out the weekends to culturally educate her son teaching him to read and write not only in english but also in Chinese and taking him on trips to museums he often found rather boring as a child. As an only child who was privately educated by his parents during the bigger part of his childhood he spent little time around other children which left him not socially incompetent but still a rather awkward acquaintance to make. He was never shy but also never quite knew the right way to approach another person his own age while being rather charming around adults and people of authority. In his first few years at Hogwarts - the first time he actually spent around many other people his age he discovered that he had quite a talent with his wand - especially when it came to charms and he wasn't bad at transfiguration either - but a complete lack thereof regarding things that required very different techniques than wand waving, for example potions, divination and herbology (though he developed a love for cacti and succulents as they are hard plants to kill due to lack of watering).

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request:
Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw (I feel like the other two really don't fit him)

Personality:
Since he spent most of his childhood around adults he acts kind of awkward around people his own age and even though his first years at Hogwarts made social interaction easier for him and it is even better now that he is (almost) an adult he still most of the time seems kind of dorky, which is often supported by the fact that he has almost no filter while talking. Anyway he is a loyal friend who gets dragged into trouble easily although he hardly ever starts trouble.
Appearance:

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
Please reply to one of the Sample Roleplays below.

It had been a good day. Most days were good days but today had been a really good day. The sun was shining, the school grounds were full of chattering students so no one seemed to want to talk to Lucas in particular and he enjoyed that very much. On his own, a book about dragons in one hand, no shoes on his feet he had strolled all the way to the quietest corner of the gardens and was just about to sit down, lean his back against a tree and open his book as he stepped on something.
That something didn't wait until he had fully crushed it. Instead it bit him. It was a rat. A small creature with evil eyes fighting for its life which Lucas just almost had ended that had its teeth sunken into his left big toe. He hardly suppressed a scream to express his pain and then started to try and shake the rat off.
His attempts were fruitless. No shaking and growling at it seemed to work so Lucas finally decided to grab the creature and - if necessary - pull that little thing out of his toe forcefully.
After a few empty handed grasps of air and some movements that made him swear he had pulled a muscle he finally got a grip on the thing and after another short and painful struggle the animal let go.
"Bloody hell!" Lucas cursed. It probably had been a bad idea to walk the school grounds bare foot after all.
But it had been a good day until the rat had mutilated him.
He brought the small creature up to his face and tried to look into its eyes as good as possible.
"You, little fellow," said Lucas with a stern face, "Are a vengeful, mean beast. Now  didn't mean to step on you like that but you could've let go of my toe the second I lifted my foot, you hear me? I want you to remember to be a better person.... a better rat, I mean, I want you to remember to be a better rat, when I release you into the wild again."
With those words he was about to sit the rat back down but stopped when he heard a gigantic sneeze.
He turned around quickly.
There, in the middle of the flower bed, between a few of bright red poppies, stood a boy and wiped his nose with his sleeve.
Had this boy seen Lucas? Had he witnessed the embarrassing spectacle of a rat biting his toe and - even worse - him giving it a lecture afterwards? Had this boy been so fascinated by the struggle that had been going on between Lucas and this tiny little animal that he had hd in the flowers so he could watch further developments?
"Can I help you with something? It is not polite to stare.", the boy said.
Lucas, still holding the rat in his hand, did not know what to answer.
After an awkward pause he asked "Do you maybe have a band aid?"
And then, as if the interaction hadn't been uncomfortable enough he held up his left foot and his right hand at the same time to show the other boy his bleeding toe and the animal.
"I found this rat, well, I almost stepped on it and it bit me."

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous):

How did you find us?:
I looked for Harry Potter themed RPGs on Google
« Last Edit: 29/04/2017 at 18:36 by Lucas Cho »

* Alfie Smallweed

(29/04/2017 at 01:10)
  • Layabout
  • C8D10T5S5
    • View Profile
Hi Lucas!

Your application is looking great! There are just a couple of edits I'll need you to make so we can get you accepted.

First, we're entering the 1950-1951 school term, so the birthday listed would currently make Lucas 30! You'll just want to change that to put him in the right age bracket.

While your RP is well-written, in a real thread with a real player having Hugh's rat bite Lucas and then picking the little guy up might be considered power playing of Hugh's pet (since, for all we know, he might be very well behaved in the biting department!). You could have him spot the rat and try to grab him, though, or something along those lines— as long as it leaves it open for Hugh's player to decide what his pet does and doesn't do.

Once you've made those changes, just post your entire revised application below, and we'll be more than happy to take another look!
THINK OF ALL THE LUCK YOU GOT
[know that it's not for naught]
YOU WERE BEAMING ONCE BEFORE
[but it's not like that anymore]

Lucas Cho

(29/04/2017 at 18:42)
    • View Profile
Hey,
so about the rat situation: changing that up means basically writing a completely different post - I'm sorry about the birth date tho, I changed that. I mean I knew it was a little power play but that's why I let Lucas almost step on the rat so it was more of a life or death situation for the animal however well-behaved it might have been. I can write a new post if you guys really want me to, I just kinda wanted to explain myself because what if something like that happens in a real thread?
Sorry if I come off as rude or stubborn I really don't mean to be. Thank you lots for the reply

* Ella Galanis

(30/04/2017 at 10:51)
  • Head of Ravenclaw
    • View Profile
Hi Lucas, welcome to the site!

Thank you for making the change to your birth year.

In terms of the RP sample, I definitely understand where you're coming from. However, if this were a real thread with another real player, it's best to avoid posting any reply that might be considered powerplaying of another character/their pet. In that situation, you'd probably be best off contacting the player before you post a reply and asking them for permission to control the rat's actions, etc. That way, any unintentional powerplaying would be avoided. Alternatively, if something like this did happen in a real thread and you hadn't contacted the player beforehand to ask, it's possible that they might just go along with it -- but they could always ask you to edit your post to remove any powerplaying instead.

If you could rewrite the post (as Alfie suggested, you can always have Lucas trying to grab the rat), we would really appreciate it. Instead of editing your first post, please could you repost your entire revised application below in a reply, and we'll be more than happy to take another look. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask any member of staff. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 30/04/2017 at 10:51 by Ella Galanis »
blackbird singing in the dead of night
take these broken wings and learn to fly
blackbird singing in the dead of night
take these sunken eyes and learn to see

* Anneka Ivanova

(01/05/2017 at 02:14)
  • Hogwarts Headmistress
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Applications are now closed, but if you PM me your revised application within 48 hours of this post, we can still get you accepted.
and if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free
to those who ground me, take a message back from me
tell them how I am defying gravity

Tags: