We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Gail Grey Student Application  (Read 822 times)

Gail Grey

(24/04/2017 at 23:53)
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.

Name: Gail Grey

Birthday: 17 December 1933

Hometown: Leeds, UK

Bloodline:
Muggleborn / Halfblood / Pureblood / Unknown

Magical Strength (pick one):
Divination / Transfiguration / Charms / Conjuring & Summoning

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Divination / Transfiguration / Charms / Conjuring & Summoning

Year (pick two): 5th, 6th (I believe this is what is meant by "year"...?)

Biography:
If you are applying to be a first, second, or third year, your biography must be at least one hundred words long.
If you are applying to be a fourth year or above, your biography must be at least three hundred words long.

Gail was brought up in the north of England, most notably in Leeds. She was born to a wizard and a muggle in the year 1933, and has spent most of her life pushed to become a successful witch in the magical world. Her father, John Grey, is quite close to Gail and has been throughout her life. He is, generally, the one that Gail will approach with needs or concerns (this is likely because as a member of the magical community he can understand Gail's stresses better than her mother can). John Grey is a bookkeeper for a small (and sadly failing) bookshop in Diagon Alley--it would seem that Flourish and Blotts has begun to take over the market.

Gail's mother, Hannah Grey, is somewhat distanced from Gail. This is mostly Gail's doing. She finds Hannah hard to relate to, as she is a muggle, and seems to view the magical community as almost something of a novelty, and thinks it would be impressive, for lack of a better word, to have a talented witch in the family. Because of her mother, Gail is very much the type to constantly berate herself and feel extraordinarily inadequate when she fails or falls short in a task.

Her childhood was very much magic-based, and her parents--to the point of overbearance--quite literally groomed her to become a very academically and magically astute witch. As for Gail, she really would simply like to become a bookkeeper like her father, or perhaps a writer.

She has no siblings, as her mother desired to focus her parental attention solely upon a single child. Her abilities in magic at Hogwarts up to this point have been noteworthy, however, she is not satisfied and feels that she must "redeem" her academics in her last years at the school. Socially, her life has been dismal, as her need for study has made her unbearable for many people to be around.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request: Slytherin

Personality: Easily irritated, dislikes speaking to loud or obnoxious people. (Can get along with people easily if they are neither of those things, however.) She is rather prideful, and while she will not voice it, can be rather judgmental of people or things that she deems stupid. Speaks quietly, and would prefer to be alone or with a close friend than with a group of people.

Appearance: Ivory skin, blue eyes. Mid-neck length black hair with blunt fringe, usually worn straight down. She has no tattoos or piercings. Her face is rather pixie-like, with a narrow nose and a small mouth.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
Please reply to one of the Sample Roleplays below.

Gail's forehead was nearly touching the parchment that her hand was furiously running across. If word ever got back to her family that she'd landed herself in detention... She gave a shudder, refocusing her attention upon the essay. A Potions essay, of all things. Potions was far from her worst subject, but there was only so much you could write about a literal recipe before it became trite and entirely useless.

Her concentration was broken by a small voice. "Is Emma Birch here?" it asked. It seemed to be coming from outside the classroom. Were students even allowed in this part of the dungeons at this time of night without permission? She stood, and opened the door, stepping out and glancing around her, eyes narrowed in the dark.

She gained focus in a few moments, and her vision landed upon a girl--undoubtedly a first-year, and clearly terrified out of her wits.

"Are you all right?" Gail asked, her brows pulling together. "Are you a Slytherin? The dormitories are on the other side of the castle..."

The girl had been asking for Emma Birch... Emma Birch, as in, the number one prank that any timid-looking first year outside of Slytherin was a victim of? Gail gave a sigh, a weak smile on her lips. "Don't worry. Emma Birch isn't real. She's a prank. Go back to your dormitory before you're caught out here. And don't bother with whoever sent you down here anymore."

With this, she turned, headed back into the classroom, and took up her quill once again.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous): None!

How did you find us?: Google searching for Harry Potter RP sites. :)

* Anneka Ivanova

(26/04/2017 at 03:22)
  • Hogwarts Headmistress
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Hi Gail!

Your application is coming along nicely. However, awhile back our world went through what we fondly call the Time Warp. This took the wizarding world from the 1970s to the 1930s. In this transition, Muggles were "left behind", which likely would have affected Gail's family. She would've been three when this happened. You can read more about it here and here.

I also noticed in your RP sample, Gail walks away and goes back into the classroom. While this isn't a real thread, we'd like you to pretend that it is and respond as though Evangeline will reply. Ending your post like that would give Evangeline very little to reply to. Otherwise, it looks good!

Once you make those changes, please post your entire revised application below, and we'll be happy to take another look!
and if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free
to those who ground me, take a message back from me
tell them how I am defying gravity

* Anneka Ivanova

(01/05/2017 at 02:12)
  • Hogwarts Headmistress
  • [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge
    • View Profile
Applications are now closed, but if you PM me your revised application within 48 hours of this post, we can still get you accepted.
and if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free
to those who ground me, take a message back from me
tell them how I am defying gravity

Tags: