Student applications are open for the 1971-72 term!

Author Topic: Valkyrie Stymest  (Read 888 times)

Valkyrie Stymest

(24/12/2016 at 12:11)
  • Third Year
  • C1D0T2S1
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.

Name: Valkyrie Stymest

Birthday: April 17, 1938

Hometown: London, England (specifically in Clerkenwell)

Bloodline: Pureblood

Magical Strength (pick one): Transfiguration

Magical Weakness (pick one): Divination

Year (pick two): First Year (first choice), Second Year

Biography:
Even before I could speak, there was one thing my parents drilled into my head: Chi fa da sé, fa per tre.

Literally, it means “He who works by himself does the work of three”. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

And I took that to heart.

In the little experience I had with other children, I found that they always got in my way. Whether it be when Mamma tried to make me play with her friend’s kid and she ended up destroying my flower arrangement or when I just was trying to get somewhere; they were all so irritably slow.

So I never really had many friends, unless you counted my house elves. It wasn’t that I purposefully repelled people, or, well, maybe I did. All I knew what that my tolerance level for stupidity was quite low.

Though I could tell they were slightly concerned, Mamma and Papà had never pushed me too hard to make friends, but always lovingly reminded me to stand tall and keep my chin up, let nothing stand in my way of success. I couldn’t count the number of times they told me the story of when my ancestors many years ago moved to London and start anew as their farmland in Italy turned to waste after the Napoleonic wars. They had to start from scratch, yet somehow, taking matters into their own hands and persevering, they had established a successful furniture company in Clerkenwell with the help of their magic, which my parents run meticulously today along with a lumber company we recently acquired. They said it would help if we could control the prices of the lumber, something about vertical monopolization, and I quite agreed.

Thus, I spent the entirety of my time with the company of only my parents and the help, my main purpose being to get ahead in the game of life. I was always either at the house or the main store, learning from my parents how to deal with other people in business, and especially muggles, strange folk without magic who seemed to me especially slow. But most importantly, I learned the significance and joys of money, in both galleons and pounds.

And that was the monotonous drone of my life, before the owl with my Hogwarts letter swooped in. When my parents saw it, they immediately started reminiscing, and I immediately went back to my book.

Though, I could help but peer over the top, stealing a glance and the intricate penmanship and bold seal. I felt a rush of excitement rush through me. With a proper education and a name for myself at this school, who knew what I could accomplish, what money I could make.

I could hardly wait.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

House Request: Slytherin

Personality: Closed off and reserved, it’s more rare to see my mouth open than closed. Yet, when I speak, I can control a room. I’m full of confidence, and though I might come off and rude and curt sometimes, it’s because I value my time above all else. And I’m in no way intentionally mean, but if you get in my way, I will do almost anything to get you out of it. Empathy isn’t really in my dictionary, unless I can use it for something better. Some people would call that a flaw, but that’s their opinion. It’s me that’s going to get that shiny galleon in the end, not them. Also, I’m quite formal, at least in my opinion. Back straight, chin up, I’m not the most laidback sort of person. And I expect the same from everyone else. Anyone I let within an arms reach, basically my parents, can call me Val, but everyone else, Valkyrie.

Appearance: I would say my most prominent features are my stormy grey-green eyes. My parents always say that they think behind my terse words, my eyes show my whirlwind of thoughts I’m holding back. But really, they probably just want me to open up more. Other than that, I’m relatively normal, standing at 4’ 9” or 144.5 cm, pale skin, and dark, slightly wavy auburn hair that reaches just below my shoulders. I haven’t found much of a reason to smile, so my mouth is usually set in a nearly flat line, with the tips curved slightly downwards. Though if amused, a small smirk is more likely to make an appearance than a full out smile.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.

Option 1:
Valkyrie traced her right index finger against the cold stone of the dungeons, grasping her transfiguration book with her other arm. It had been a long day, and she was weary of the amount of homework ahead of her, especially from the class aligning with the aforementioned book. Remembering this, she scowled in distaste, clenching the book tighter as if trying to squeeze it out of existence. It wasn’t as if she hadn’t enough useful things to do, this was just busy work. These essays; what a bother. She would never read them in the future, and the transfiguration spells themselves were easy enough.

Suddenly, the stench of potions-gone-wrong hit her and she recoiled, breathing out in a huff. This was something she would have to get used to for the next seven years. As she streaked by the room she glanced in and nodded politely at the poor professor who she saw cleaning up one of the said potions. That was a job she would never take up.

“H-h-hello?” A soft voice made Val’s ears perk up as she slowed to hush her sound of her steps.

Then quite loudly, “Hello! Is Emma Birch here?”

Val clamped her free hand over her ear and scrunched her eyebrows together, hastening her pace to find the source of the voice. As she rounded a corner and dropped her hand, she saw a small girl, probably her age, dressed in scarlet and gold, all but trembling.

“Would you quiet down? There’s absolutely no need to shout, especially when the dungeons simply amplify your voice,” Val fumed blowing a puff of air up, causing some stray hairs to fall back in place. 

“There is no ‘Emma Birch’ that I know of, so if you could please go back to your dorm or continue your search elsewhere, quietly, for the sake of all of us here that actually have schoolwork to finish.” Valkyrie held up her book to the girl and stabbed at the cover for good measure.

Not waiting for a response, Valkyrie secured the book back under her left arm and marched off to her common room to get some work done. As she created a mental list of homework, the loud voice of the girl popped back into her mind, making her scowl. She decided that once she got parchment and the rest of her homework from her dorm, she would take her mountain of work to the library, where there would definitely be some peace and quiet.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous): Rayne Yorke

How did you find us?: A friend

* Martin Hawksworth

(27/12/2016 at 21:20)
  • Auror
  • C24D25T22S16
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner!
    • View Profile
Hello Valkyrie! Your application is coming along quite well, there is just a small consideration to be made in your roleplay response.

I enjoy your take on it and I can easily relate to Val's annoyance with little Evangeline, but remember to keep your response open for continued replies. You will want to open your reply up to a possible response from Evangeline so that the exchange between your characters lasts. You of course know what you might want to convey in an exchange between characters; an emotion maybe, a promise, possibly a happy happenstance, but behind the scenes we ask that a thread contain 3 good replies by every character involved before that character can claim it as a 'completed thread'.

So, please have Val linger for a moment in the hall, or simply 'attempt to leave' without actually stating that Val left. This would/will allow the writer behind Evangeline to react to Val's presence.

In order to insult me

I must first value your opinion...

nice try though

Valkyrie Stymest

(28/12/2016 at 04:03)
  • Third Year
  • C1D0T2S1
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.

Name: Valkyrie Stymest

Birthday: April 17, 1938

Hometown: London, England (specifically in Clerkenwell)

Bloodline: Pureblood

Magical Strength (pick one): Transfiguration

Magical Weakness (pick one): Divination

Year (pick two): First Year (first choice), Second Year

Biography:
Even before I could speak, there was one thing my parents drilled into my head: Chi fa da sé, fa per tre.

Literally, it means “he who works by himself does the work of three”. If you want something done right, do it yourself.
And I took that to heart.

In the little experience I had with other children, I found that they always got in my way. Whether it be when Mamma tried to make me play with her friend’s kid and she ended up destroying my flower arrangement or when I just was trying to get somewhere; they were all so irritably slow.

So I never really had many friends, unless you counted my house elves. It wasn’t that I purposefully repelled people, or, well, maybe I did. All I knew what that my tolerance level for stupidity was quite low.

Though I could tell they were slightly concerned, Mamma and Papà had never pushed me too hard to make friends, but always lovingly reminded me to stand tall and keep my chin up, let nothing stand in my way of success. I couldn’t count the number of times they told me the story of when my ancestors many years ago moved to London because their farmland in Italy turned to waste after the Napoleonic wars and they wanted to start anew. They had to start from scratch, yet somehow, taking matters into their own hands and persevering, they had established a successful furniture company in Clerkenwell with the help of their magic, which my parents run meticulously today along with a lumber company we recently acquired. They said it would help if we could control the prices of the lumber, something about vertical monopolization, and I quite agreed.

Thus, I spent the entirety of my time with the company of only my parents and the help, my main purpose being to get ahead in the game of life. I was always either at the house or the main store, learning from my parents how to deal with other people in business, and especially muggles, strange folk without magic who seemed to me especially slow. But most importantly, I learned the significance and joys of money, in both galleons and pounds.

And that was the monotonous drone of my life, before the owl with my Hogwarts letter swooped in. When my parents saw it, they immediately started reminiscing, and I immediately went back to my book.

Though, I could help but peer over the top, stealing a glance and the intricate penmanship and bold seal. I felt a rush of excitement rush through me. With a proper education and a name for myself at this school, who knew what I could accomplish, what money I could make.

I could hardly wait.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

House Request: Slytherin

Personality: Closed off and reserved, it’s more rare to see my mouth open than closed. Yet, when I speak, I can control a room. I’m full of confidence, and though I might come off and rude and curt sometimes, it’s because I value my time above all else. And I’m in no way intentionally mean, but if you get in my way, I will do almost anything to get you out of it. Empathy isn’t really in my dictionary, unless I can use it for something better. Some people would call that a flaw, but that’s their opinion. It’s me that’s going to get that shiny galleon in the end, not them. Also, I’m quite formal, at least in my opinion. Back straight, chin up, I’m not the most laidback sort of person. And I expect the same from everyone else. Anyone I let within an arms reach, basically my parents, can call me Val, but everyone else, Valkyrie.

Appearance: I would say my most prominent features are my stormy grey-green eyes. My parents always say that they think behind my terse words, my eyes show my whirlwind of thoughts I’m holding back. But really, they probably just want me to open up more. Other than that, I’m relatively normal, standing at 4’ 9” or 144.5 cm, pale skin, and dark, slightly wavy auburn hair that reaches just below my shoulders. I haven’t found much of a reason to smile, so my mouth is usually set in a nearly flat line, with the tips curved slightly downwards. Though if amused, a small smirk is more likely to make an appearance than a full out smile.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.

Option 1:
Valkyrie traced her right index finger against the cold stone of the dungeons, grasping her transfiguration book with her other arm. It had been a long day, and she was weary of the amount of homework ahead of her, especially from the class aligning with the aforementioned book. Remembering this, she scowled in distaste, clenching the book tighter as if trying to squeeze it out of existence. It wasn’t as if she hadn’t enough useful things to do, this was just busy work. These essays; what a bother. She would never read them in the future, and the transfiguration spells themselves were easy enough.

Suddenly, the stench of potions-gone-wrong hit her and she recoiled, breathing out in a huff. This was something she would have to get used to for the next seven years. As she streaked by the room she glanced in and nodded politely at the poor professor who she saw cleaning up one of the said potions. That was a job she would never take up.

“H-h-hello?” A soft voice made Val’s ears perk up as she slowed to hush her sound of her steps.

Then quite loudly, “Hello! Is Emma Birch here?”

Val clamped her free hand over her ear and scrunched her eyebrows together, hastening her pace to find the source of the voice. As she rounded a corner and dropped her hand, she saw a small girl, probably her age, dressed in scarlet and gold, all but trembling.

“Would you quiet down? There’s absolutely no need to shout, especially when the dungeons simply amplify your voice,” Val fumed blowing a puff of air up, causing some stray hairs to fall back in place. 

“There is no ‘Emma Birch’ that I know of, so if you could please go back to your dorm or continue your search elsewhere, quietly, for the sake of all of us here that actually have schoolwork to finish.” Valkyrie held up her book to the girl and stabbed at the cover for good measure.

Not waiting for a response, Valkyrie secured the book under her left arm with a huff started to march off to her common room to get some work done. As she created a mental list of homework, suddenly, the scarlet robes and the name “Emma Birch” popped back into her mind. The pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place.

She abruptly paused, feeling her anger growing. She hadn’t been lying when she said that she didn’t know of an “Emma Birch”, but perhaps she still knew more about this character than the girl behind her. A couple days ago during dinner as she had passed by the Gryffindor table, she had heard a group of the older girls talking about this “Emma Birch”, a more or less made up ghost used as the main element of a dare for the incoming first years, threatening them with expulsion if they didn’t accept. At the time, she thought that there wouldn’t be anyone who would be naïve enough to accept the dare, but now, as she turned around slowly, giving the still-to-be named girl an accusing glare, she realized she was wrong.

“I thought Gryffindors were supposed to be brave,” she sneered, resting her right arm on her hip. “Not only do you come down here to disrupt the peace and quiet, but you come on here on account of a stupid dare? How many more of you should I be expecting? Two? Three? Ten?”

Valkyrie tapped her foot once, twice, waiting for a reply. If the girl didn’t give her an appropriate response, she might have to storm up to the Gryffindor common room herself to give the upperclassmen a short lecture on disturbing the peace.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous): Rayne Yorke

How did you find us?: A friend

* Ella Galanis

(28/12/2016 at 18:32)
  • Head of Ravenclaw
    • View Profile
Dear Miss Stymest,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Term begins 1 January. Currently, students have gathered at Camp Loki, and we encourage you to spend your summer there. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to visit or purchase school supplies.

Yours sincerely,

Ella Galanis
Head of Ravenclaw
blackbird singing in the dead of night
take these broken wings and learn to fly
blackbird singing in the dead of night
take these sunken eyes and learn to see

Tags: