Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1970!

Author Topic: Wesley Winsday - Hogsmeade Shopkeeper and Resident Application  (Read 1272 times)

* Wesley Winsday

(04/05/2012 at 20:21)
  • Auror-in-Training
  • C20 D10 T14 S11
    • View Profile

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Wesley Arcturus Winsday

Education: 
Gryffindor - Hogwarts School, class of 1966.

Residence:
Hogsmeade, Scotland. The apartment above Briarlocke Antiquities.

Owns and manages Briarlocke Antiquities.

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (example St Mungo's, the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
No.

Requested Magic Levels:
  • Charms: 13
  • Transfiguration: 11
  • Divination: 8
  • Summoning: 10
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
No.

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Calliope Nightingale, third year Ravenclaw at Hogwarts.

Special Phrase: Tibbles beard of power!

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
Wesley Arcturus Winsday was born on August 21st, 1948.  He is the first child of Tiberius Winsday and Marnella Culpepper, both of Scotland.  A pureblood wizard, he is the final heir of the Winsday name, a very old Scottish wizarding family whose ancestors can be traced back to the Norse invaders.

Wesley never truly knew his biological mother, who left his father when Wesley was almost three years old..  He was therefore raised singlehandedly by his father, a famous dracologist in the magical scientific world.  Wesley traveled with his father all over the globe, chasing and studying dragons in order to protect and conserve them, as well as hide their existence from Muggles. He became, in essence, his father’s assistant, and was even allowed to accompany Tiberius on some of the less dangerous excursions into dragon territory. 

Tragically in 1959 – the year Wesley entered Hogwarts –Tiberius Winsday was involved in an accident with a rogue dragon and was killed in the field.  At school at the time of the incident, Wesley deeply grieved the loss of his father, but was determined to do his father proud.  He became very motivated in school, but buried a lot of grief far under the surface.

In 1964, Wesley’s fifth year at Hogwarts, he met Blair Briarlocke, a beautiful, talented witch in her sixth year.  They began dating and fell in love, and for the first time since his father’s death Wesley felt completely fulfilled.  On December 25th, 1965, they became engaged.  Wesley graduated from Gryffindor House later that school year, class of 1966.  He became an archaeologist and historian of magical artifacts, while Blair had already set up a shop in Hogsmeade selling magical handcrafted jewelry.

Wesley and Blair were married on July 25th, 1967.  It was a small wedding, but perfectly wonderful.  The couple moved just a few miles north of Hogsmeade to Winshollow Manor, Wesley’s family’s historical mansion where he and his father had spent summers.  By February of 1968, Blair was pregnant with their first child. The Winsdays were thrilled. They spent the year excitedly dreaming of what their new family would be like.

But it was not to be.  On October 30th, 1968, Blair was rushed to St. Mungo’s with an early labor, where she gave birth to a stillborn daughter.  The loss of her child was too unbearable for Blair.  Weakened by complications from the birth, she died the next day on October 31st, her heart broken.

Wesley’s life had completely fallen into nothingness.  Bitter, resentful, and shattered, he withdrew into his pain, all the while searching for something to help him feel again.  Adrenaline rushes seemed to be the most effective, and he joined a group of magical treasure hunters, using his extensive knowledge as both a dracologist’s son and a magical historian.  Losing himself in his work, he eventually tried to revert back to his old self, adopting a false shadow of his former eternally optimistic attitude, hiding beneath an impish smile. Although he never got over the deaths of his wife and newborn child, the years amongst a loyal group of friends and teammates helped him learn to cope.  In 1972, Wesley was seriously injured by a curse in a wand fight between his team and another opposing treasure hunting team.  His treasure-hunting days in the field were over.

With nowhere else to go, he arrived back in Hogsmeade later that year.  Blair’s old shop, boarded up and abandoned, was still available, so he purchased it back from the current owner and fixed it up.  He opened a magical antiquities shop, calling it Briarlocke Antiquities after Blair’s maiden name.  Still grappling with his loss, he now lives in the apartment above the shop, not trusting himself to go back to an empty Winshollow Manor where he and Blair were so happy.

Wesley is a tall, well-built young man with a crop of thick dark hair and similarly pigmented eyes.  He doesn’t laugh out loud too often, but his bright eyes twinkle with obvious amusement.  Highly skilled in charms, his Patronus is impressively powerful and  takes the shape of a Scottish Deerhound.  Although kind to everyone, particularly having a soft spot for children, he is somewhat of a loner with few true friends and not many acquaintances.

Wesley always wears a small owl pendant on a long, thin gold chain around his neck.  The necklace was one made by Blair in her shop, and portrays her Patronus animal. It possesses a charm which helps to wards away evil from the wearer.

ROLEPLAY
Reply as your character to the following:

It was impossible for Dianne to stay out of trouble. It wasn't that she was looking for trouble, it's just that trouble always managed to find her. Today she wished she could find something equally familiar but more comforting.

The five-year old girl hugged her puffskein closer to her and brushed her face in its soft fur for comfort. She had named him herself and he was always her special pet. No she was certain she had never gone down this side street before. Her anxiety increased every second as darkness fell as she walked down the road. A loud noise came to her left and she buried her face in her pet's fur completely. The scared girl bolted the opposite way slamming the both of them into the wall of the nearest building. Tottering back a few steps she found a door a few feet to her right and ran to open it. What light there was inside spilled out into the darkness and she spilled into the room.

Once in, she was caught between the impulse to curl her cloak up more tightly around her and loosen her grip on it. She wasn't alone anymore but she was now among strangers instead, which was nearly as terrifying. Her puffskein had recovered from the shock of the wall and now was purring contentedly as the girl hugged it, causing a mildly calming effect on the girl. Gathering her courage, she marched up to the nearest person, pulled on the nearest clothing hem and blurted out in a loud voice:

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

She paused to draw a breath in her nearly never-ending sentence, "He misses my and his mommy."

To explain the scared girl held up the custard-colored puffskein. Sambundeakin the puffskein, however simply purred as if nothing on earth was wrong in the world.

Roleplay Response:
Wesley Winsday was just about to close up for the night and get on his way to the Three Broomsticks for a pint. He was straightening a few items on the back of the sales counter when he heard the shop door open.  He looked up, saw no one, and shrugged, blaming the faulty door latch and a puff of wind.  Then, he felt a tug on his robes.

"I'm lost and it's dark and I wanted to know where I am but I'm not scared but I am worried that Sambundeakin is scared because he's little and needs something to eat and wants to go home."

Wesley looked down, a little startled.  A small girl of five or six was staring at him, wide-eyed, holding up her supposedly frightened puffskein.  The little animal seemed rather contented for being so scared, although the little girl was obviously very upset.  How long had she been out on the street, lost and alone? He felt a sharp pang of sadness.  His own little girl would have been just about the same age as this child now.  Just as brave.  Just as frightened.  Just as... He bit his tongue, forcing himself to come out of the misery and gave the girl a smile he hoped didn't seem sad.

Wesley crouched down to her level, petting the puffskein.  “There now, little fellow,” he said kindly to the animal.  “Your young mistress here is taking good care of you.”  He smiled, broadly this time, looking the child in the eye.  “You’re a very brave girl asking for help.  A kind one as well, to be looking after the needs of your pet so well. I’m sure he knows it too – look how he’s snuggled in your arms.”  He rested his elbows on his knees.  “Hey, don’t worry.  I know all the streets in Hogsmeade quite well.  I grew up here as a boy.  I’ll bet if you remember what street you live on, I can bring you home no problem, and even get you home in time for supper.  ” He asked, then held up a finger.  “Wait, hold that thought.  I forgot the most important thing.  All brave girls deserve a quick treat.”  And with that, he stood up straight and took down a glass jar of Fizzing Whizbees, opened it and handed one to the girl.  “Here. Save it for when you get home, okay?”  Wesley smiled.  “Oh, my name is Wesley, by the way. Wesley Winsday.  What's your name?”

SHOPKEEPER QUESTIONS
Answer these questions only if you are applying to be a shopkeeper as well.

Shop name: Briarlocke Antiquities
Shop Description (200 words minimum):

Outside:
The building which houses Briarlocke Antiquities is painted an appropriately historic brown with light toffee-colored trim.  The shop occupies the first story, while Wesley Winsday lives upstairs.  A wood and metal sign engraved with the shop name juts from the side of the building, swinging over the cobblestone patio outside.  A table and two chairs are situated to the right of the door, inviting customers to sit and rest.  Below the windows, rose bushes (which bloom no matter the season) trim the edges of the shop.

Inside: Briarlocke Antiquities is a small shop selling and trading magical antiques and rarities of all values.  The shop is surprising light and airy, although the still filled with mystery on account of all the amazing artifacts owner and shopkeeper Wesley Winsday has stocked in the front room.  On the back wall, there is a sales counter situated on top of a large display case filled with rare antique jewelry.  The case is charmed securely with all kinds of nasty anti-thievery spells, so be careful not to step out of line!  Behind the sales counter is the stock room, which has an entrance to Wesley’s apartment upstairs and room to store newly acquired artifacts. 

Another charmed case, which covers the entire left wall of the shop, displays the items which are by far the most expensive in the store, including rare old wands and weapons, as well as powerfully magicked artifacts.  Nothing in these display cases are classified as terribly dangerous, although Wesley requires that witches and wizards handling and/or purchasing items from that case be of age (seventeen and up). The rest of the shop is filled with basic magical antiquities, from scrolls of ancient spells from Greece to enchanted helmets from the age of Merlin.  Wesley encourages curious witches and wizards to go ahead and touch any of the artifacts that are not behind glass, as non-cased items all hold passive or beneficial powers.

NOTE: Certain items that fall into Wesley’s possession are highly difficult to deal with, even sometimes deadly or controversial.   In order to protect the items from thieves and unscrupulous members of the magical community, Wesley keeps these items very heavily guarded in a secret cellar under the floor of the stock room.  These are often artifacts that Wesley discovered during his days as a treasure-hunter.  No one, save a select few of his former treasure-hunting teammates, know this room exists, although the discovery of the cellar by a lucky customer might be a fascinating roleplay scenario.

What purpose will this shop serve other than selling things and being the home of your character? Why would people want to RP there just for fun?
The store is filled with fascinating artifacts from all eras of wizarding history – it’s like walking into a museum.  It’s a great place to roleplay if your character is the curious sort, since you can find pretty much anything mysterious and magical you want – the options are endless.  The shop also harbors a great many mysteries, (including the secret cellar), so snooping around might dig up something very interesting...

In addition, Wesley Winsday has a big soft spot for children and is a wonderful storyteller, so if you are a youngster, visiting the shop can be a real treat (quite literally, in fact – Wesley keeps a jar of his favorite Fizzing Whizbees to share behind the counter, a well known fact by all of his regulars).

Professor Tibble

(04/05/2012 at 20:38)
  • C/S Professor
    • View Profile
Accepted as a character. We'll get back to you as soon as possible about the shop application.
"If we're going to die - let's die looking like a Peruvian folk band."

- Amy Pond, 'Amy's Choice'

* Wesley Winsday

(04/05/2012 at 20:43)
  • Auror-in-Training
  • C20 D10 T14 S11
    • View Profile
"Thank you, Professor Tibble!  Your beard is indeed powerful." Wesley winked.

* Wesley Winsday

(04/05/2012 at 21:39)
  • Auror-in-Training
  • C20 D10 T14 S11
    • View Profile
Oh - question,

I requested that my Charms level be 13.  Right now, it says 11.  Did I not get approved to be 13, or can that be changed?

Thanks!

-Wesley Arcturus Winsday

TibbleEdit: Fixed!
« Last Edit: 04/05/2012 at 22:02 by Professor Tibble »

* Wesley Winsday

(06/05/2012 at 23:35)
  • Auror-in-Training
  • C20 D10 T14 S11
    • View Profile
Thanks for the fix!

Not to bother you, I'm sure you're busy, Professor, but do you when and if my shop will be approved?  Thanks. :)

- Wesley

Professor Tibble

(07/05/2012 at 19:22)
  • C/S Professor
    • View Profile
Shop approved and opened! If you need any tweaks made to it, send me a PM.
"There's something here that doesn't make sense... let's go poke it with a stick."

- The Doctor, 'Amy's Choice'

* Wesley Winsday

(08/05/2012 at 01:25)
  • Auror-in-Training
  • C20 D10 T14 S11
    • View Profile
Brilliant! Thank you sir. :)

Tags: