We are currently accepting new applications for Elsewhere!

Author Topic: Duncan, Jamie (repeating)  (Read 885 times)

Jamie Duncan

(04/08/2017 at 22:20)
  • Magical Inventor
  • C11D6T11S8
    • View Profile

Application for Hogwarts School

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.

Name: Jamie Duncan

Birthday: July 7th

Hometown: Inverness, Scottland

Bloodline:
Halfblood

Magical Strength (pick one):
Charms

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Divination

Year (pick two): Seventh - Repeating

Biography:
Jamie grew up in the shadow of his father who was a proud man of heritage who could track his lineage back tens of generations. He participated in all things Scottish. The highland games, a piper band, and Scottish tap dancing. Jamie was in his youth expected to do the same alongside his three brothers. Nothing seemed to change for a long while and some would sit restlessly in the same routines.

Jamie was one of these people. Each morning before breaking fast with his family he would explore the gully behind his house, find all manners of things strange and interesting (at least, in his imagination). By his ninth birthday, he realized some of these strange things were not so unreal at all. When he reached a hand into a hollow log he found his hand bitten – a small winged creature that was neither bird nor bug latched onto his now throbbing palm. No amount of shaking would remove the creature. It was not until he felt his will build up inside his chest like a kettle about to over boil did he feel the creature's fangs turn to gum – literal gum. While it still stuck it was unlike something he had ever experienced. He pried the thing from him, casting It aside as he ran to tell mother.

His mother was someone who would always believe his adventures and tails. No matter how long or far-fetched she spoke as if all the things he could ever imagine were a reality. When he approached her she chuckled and pulled him aside, showing him a bent stick she was intent of never letting out of her sight.

‘A wizard’ He would remember that. Was he a wizard? Like Merlin from his story books? How could that be accurate and how did father not know of his mother’s history. It was apparent she was better at keeping her secrets quiet than anyone would have thought.

On his 11th birthday, she vanished. But a letter arrived from no postman. It found its way into his room through an open window and was oddly sealed with vibrant red wax. At first his father thought it an elaborate joke. Yet another letter came sooner, one from his mother with a page for his father. It explained her history – how she was born a ‘muggle’

‘strange word’ he thought to himself at the time.

And that she discovered she could cast spells and use magic like in the fairy tales in her youth. She explained further that her son, their son ‘Jamie’ was also like she was. It took time for him to accept it but with enough time he and his son took time off to visit London. To send Jamie son away to a school where he would fit in. Maybe in this world he could find clues to why his mother fled - maybe he could find ways to relate to people regardless of their origins.

Jamie enjoyed his first year more than he would have thought. His love of people and stories drew him close to many in his year and enjoyed potions and transfiguration classes more than others. He was apprehensive of those in other houses but always gave everyone a chance to prove they didn’t meet up or did meet up to house mantra.

For his first few years of schooling, things went generally fine in terms of grades. Nothing atrocious apart from the one year he and his friend Briar had thought to take Divination thinking it was a class of lofty thoughts and many naps. They were quickly mistaken. In trouble every other week, Jamie earned himself a small reputation as a prankster. Which, in more cases than not lead him to detention again... and again and again.

On the end of his seventh year, he received word that home was not doing as well as it should have due to an illness with his father. Money had never been easy for the Duncans, with three wizards or witches in school and the expenses of books, robes, and other nick nacks piling up the family often relied on second-hand supplies and small loans to pay back shopkeepers. William's condition was stable, but not yet enough to run the family Inn. Being one of the oldest due to his brother Fergus's absence meant he would need to be responsible. His grades were lackluster, to begin with for the first part of the year and taking a temporary absence to help family was necessary.

Jamie packed his things, Bid his brother and cousin farewell and headed home. Hoping to repeat his final year once things stabilized the following summer.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

House Request: Hufflepuff

Personality:

Jamie is a charismatic individual whose presence often captures the room if he makes the effort for it. Although he is not a natural leader and chooses not to lead he appreciates having a wide circle of friends and helping those he can. He is relatively optimistic and finds joy in helping others. Unfortunately for Jamie, he has a giving heart and often gives more attention to his friends and loved ones than anyone else. he is quick to make an ally and slow to make an enemy.

Jamie has a love for mischief and never holds a grudge. If he can have innocent fun with someone without any chance of harming the person's feelings he will go for it without delay.

Due to his Scottish upbringing he often tries to tone down his accent and to code, most of his messages write in Scots-Gaelic. He has a keen hatred for quills and is often told off for carrying around pencils and other Muggle writing utensils.  In his dorm, he is one of the few who still hold onto their Muggle interests. He tries to persuade others that Muggle music is relevant as music about trolls and vampires.

Despite his care-free attitude to his classes, Jamie does well in what he puts the effort in and often fails only if the teacher makes the lesson too uninteresting.

On a good day Jamie can be found mentoring younger students in subjects he feels accomplished in or be jogging in the fields of the school. On a bad day, he is quiet and reserved. Often keeping to the quiet reaches of the library.

Appearance:

like his many siblings Jamie stands sternly and tall with brown-black colored hair and steely brown eyes. His hair is often brushed once before it is forgotten. The effort in his hair is minimal. In his childhood, his hair was lighter and faded several shades over a few short years. His shoulders are broad from his recent maturity and his voice recently broken to reflect someone who would seem to be quiet knowledgeable without even needing to read up on a topic.

His stern stoic standing nature often portrays an air of arrogance. Yet in class he slouches and often ruins his posture for the next few hours. He dresses often for winter even in the warmer seasons and is never seen without a jacket over his robes until it is confiscated for breaking school uniform regulations.
His walk is a saunter, often never in a hurry to get to anywhere. His expression set at level between annoyed and relaxed.

With age, he has only grown a little taller. The cleft in his chin a little more obvious and his dress sense has not improved since he was a youngling. Jamie often wears the same few outfits every week, having no real money to afford other clothing when out of lessons.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.
(one)

Jamie was as lost as lost could be. With several years under his belt he would have assumed that navigating these catacombs would be far easier than anything else. His genuis plan of lighting every other pillar up to mark his way back to the stair case had already backfired spectacularily when he noticed his glow-in-the-dark ink was wased away by the dampness of each stone.

Just his luck.

Small footsteps of someone echoed in the distance. The exit?! he leapt, nearly sprinting towards the sound. His own heavy laboured breathing beginning to bounce and echo off the walls until her question was asked. Emma Birch? was she looking for her sister? that name seemed all too familiar. Emma... Ah! right, the ghost. Though Jamie contemplated inwardly if it were possible, a ghost no one had really seen. Seeing as the school had plenty of ghosts that people could see, this one seemed more like superstition. Still, Jamie best leave this girl with something to go back with. Whoever sent her here was testing her mettle.

With a step in the shadows, he ducked behind one of he pillars and held out his wand. A simple, short lasting patronas wisp would do the trick. While he wasn't necessarily the best at the spell, he could at least concentrate on a formless mist to speak behind.

Jamie drew a deep breath and breathed as he spoke. Being older made it far harder to talk as a girl would, the shrill notes tearing up his throat. "It is I." he began in a girlish tone. "Emma Birch! you have disturbed my resting spot." It took all he had left not to snicker. The poor child would be frightened for days.

"What do you wish of me?"

→ ABOUT YOU.

Please list any characters you have on the site (current and previous): Jamie Duncan, Cadogan Cadwallader

How did you find us?: Uhh, google and I was here before. I'd like to repat the 7th year on this character.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2017 at 06:00 by Jamie Duncan »
my imagination gets the best of me

and i'm trying to hide

lost at sea

Calypso Ross

(23/08/2017 at 18:57)
  • Head of the Auror Office
  • C50D30T30S25
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! ['45-'46] Duelling Finalist ['45-'46] Queen of the Hospital Wing ['44-'45] Duelling Finalist ['44-'45] Quidditch Champions [1945] Superlative Winner [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Biggest Teacher's Pet ['43-'44] Duelling Finalist ['42-'43] Queen of the Hospital Wing
    • View Profile
Hi, Jamie!

Your application looks good, there's just one small thing I want to clarify before we can get you accepted.

In the eighth paragraph of your biography, you mention a 'William':
William enjoyed his first year more than he would have thought.

Did you actually mean William here or was that supposed to be Jamie? That section confused me a little. If you could let us know below (no need to repost the whole application), then we can get you accepted ASAP. Thanks!
I'VE GOT A BLANK SPACE BABY
AND I'LL WRITE YOUR NAME

Jamie Duncan

(28/08/2017 at 06:00)
  • Magical Inventor
  • C11D6T11S8
    • View Profile

Corrected, it was supposed to be Jamie. William is Jamie's father, who grew ill.
my imagination gets the best of me

and i'm trying to hide

lost at sea

* Ella Galanis

(29/08/2017 at 08:30)
  • Head of Ravenclaw
    • View Profile
Dear Mr. Duncan,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Term begins 1 September 2017. Currently, students have gathered at Camp Loki, and we encourage you to spend your summer there. Should you choose, you may also visit our Elsewhere board via the Floo Network to visit or purchase school supplies.

Yours sincerely,

Ella Galanis
Head of Ravenclaw
you were always sure of yourself
now I see you’ve broken a feather
I hope we can patch it up together

Tags: