Welcome to Hogwarts School :: A Harry Potter RPG! It's 1971!

Author Topic: Coco Swaan  (Read 891 times)

Coco Swaan

(24/04/2013 at 19:25)
    • View Profile

Application for Beauxbatons Academy

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:

Birthday: Coco Swaan

Hometown: 7th of march 1927

Bloodline: 
Muggleborn

Magical Strength (pick one):
Charms

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Year (pick two): 6e /5e

Biography: 
I am Dutch. Born and raised. I have one younger brother, and though neither of my parents are wizards somehow their DNA still mixed as to create not one, but two magical children. Maybe because their personalities are so explosive. That would certainly explain the tendency of random items that go BOOM! around my brother and me when we are fighting.
We live in a small village next to the Veluwe, the oldest forest of the Netherlands. Our family doesn't really fit in, what with the villagers, who, after 10 years, still look at us as if we are New, City-People, Different. With my parents who can't live with each other any more without screaming. So when I started showing signs of magic, I was torn between wanting to run away to France to live an adventure, a fairy tale, and feeling guilty and already homesick. I love my family. They are the most amazing people I have ever met, but I think, knowing that they wait for me at home, I can do this! Adventure, here I come!
At least, that is what I thought. Until the time-warp. Now my parents are gone, and I am left with my brother, who is two years younger than me and thus to young for School. I'll write a polite and desperate letter to ask if my brother is allowed to come with me, maybe live nearby? And if that doesn't work then I will just have to forget being a wizard and stay in the Netherlands because he is family, even if he is infuriating and annoying some times.
And whatever else happens, I will get us back to my parents! You'll see.

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Note: This section is optional, and is up to you to complete.

Ecole Request: Studio Arts

Communaté Preference: Orange

Personality:
I am lazy, a slacker if I'm not interested in the subject, chaotic, forgetful and if you just met me; shy. My self-esteem isn't something to brag about, though I do just that to make it seem like not such a big deal and worth a laugh or two. At times, I am terified of disappointing people, or myself. Or worse, being Average. I'm scared of never accomplishing anything lasting, anything important. I'm scared that when I am gone, no one will remember me. My name will be forgotten. Coco Who?

On the other hand, I do have some good sides.
I am creative and interested in almost anything. And when I am interested in something, I will never forget anything I heard or read (except names and dates) after coming across it once.  My memory is funny that way. I love stories and have been addicted to fantasy-novels since I was about eight years old. I like to make things. Drawing and painting and writing, mostly.
Friends have told me that I am kind and sweet, and I am not all that stupid in terms of intelligence.
I live by my own morals, never mind those of society, so I don't see a fault in some things like blood status or odd relationships or the like. I will always be honest to people on important subjects.
I can see motives of other people, their emotions, their way of seeing the world. I can not blame people for making decisions, even if they hurt me or my loved once because even then I can see where they're coming from. It also means that I like arguments for the sake of the argument itself. Because I see their point of view and I might even agree with it, so it is above all just an exercise for our minds. Some people do not agree though..

Appearance:
I have dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. It used to reach to my hips but I cut it a while back. Now it comes till a hand below my shoulders. I am short and chubby, though every time I mention that fact my friends hasten to assure me that I'm not all that overweight and that it actually suits me. I'll have to take their word for it because I can't be bothered to do anything about it. I may like to dress up nicely and take good enough care of myself, I will never really be vain or structured enough to take hours for daily make-up or complicated hairdo's or cosmetical magics. I do like to go to costumed parties, though. And if I go there then I go all out, complete with spectacular eye colour.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.

The dining hall was a loud, calamitous thing. Students sat scattered through the vast room, speaking various languages, laughing, and simply having a gay old time. A group of students towards the front of the hall sat huddled over a pile of sheet music. Black notes melted on to the off white parchment, splaying out a secret language, only readable to those who carried the gift. Another group sat watching a tall, thin upperclassman parading around her new ballet point shoes in awe. There seemed to be a group in the hall for everyone.

Everyone except Hilary, that is. 

Poor Hilary stood soaking in the scene before her with a slight grimace on her face. Before coming to Beauxbatons, she had been overjoyed to begin studying magic, but now as she waded through her third week at the school, she felt lost in a sea of strangers. It wasn't that she was shy, no. Indeed, she even tried to reach out to some students. It was more that everyone seemed to already have their own clique, and Hilary felt so very unwelcome in all of them. 

On her plate, she fidgeted with an assortment of vegetables and a delicate pork chop. That was the nice thing about Beauxbatons. Despite the many cold-shouldered students, the food was still incredible.

With a hefty sigh, Hilary strode into the dining hall. As she did, she let her mind wander to what life at the academy might be were she royalty. The students would bow at her feet! And of course she would only ever don the most elegant of robes, decorated in sequins, rhinestones, and laced with frills. All of the girls at the school would fawn over the level of grace she exhibited. Hilary would make wonderful royalty, yes that was certain.

Though, lost in her fantasy, Hilary failed to notice the leather bag lying at the center of the walkway. Failing to notice the bag in her path, naturally caused her to trip, spilling the contents of her plate all over the student sitting just beside the bag. 

"Oh! I'm so sorry!"

….

I had been sitting in the middle of all those loud conversations. The year had just started and I was still very much overwhelmed. I wanted to see everything at once and since I had been here I hadn't been able to stop gaping around. Much of the voices around me went completely be me. Partly because I still had trouble with understanding every word of the language if I wasn't concentrating on it. My head was still used to hearing Dutch.

There was a book laying next to my plate but for once, it was forgotten in favour of the amazing people I could see around me. All so very magical!
I was straining my neck to get a better look of some guy with a hair do that looked like a real life dragon, complete with the smoking nostrils when a plate of something warm was dumped over my head.

Damn it! And I'd so hoped that it would be different here..

I took a short moment to wipe the shocked look of my face and plaster a decidedly annoyed looking face over it before I turned around. And was shocked imidiately again, because there wasn't some idiot with a mean grin standing there, but a girl stammering “ Oh! I'm so sorry” while staring forlorn at the sauce dripping of my forehead.

Maybe this was fate? Doesn't that happen in stories? Maybe I could make a new friend now. So I winced and smiled at the same time. Trying to look as nice I could.
“It's alight! It happens, no harm done. Look, my book is still good as new!”

The girl smiled a bit haggardly and nodded. I opened my mouth to ask her something, maybe her name, but she interrupted with a curt “Well, I'll better go and get some new food then, you better wash that before the teachers see it!”
Then she swept around and strides away.

I looked at her retreating back for a while, then closed my mouth that was still hanging open.
“oh.”

I picked up my book “Frankenstein, the Modern Prometheus”.
I had my fill of looking at real people for today.

→ ABOUT YOU.

Previous Characters (if applicable): None

How did you find us?: I typed in “magical school rpg” on google. You were the best one that I could find.

I am not entirely sure if i should be posting this here, so please can anyone contact me if this is not the right place?
Thank you.

* Michael Woods-Taylor

(25/04/2013 at 02:30)
  • Maintenance Worker & Freelancer
  • C21D8T17S24
    • View Profile
Hello Coco! Your application is coming along nicely, I would just like you to consider a few things:

First, Coco's brother will be a major element in her life until he can attend school, could you expand on how you might work this out? Were you planning on seeing if a professor or other staff at BB would take pity on them and adopt? Would you place the two of them at a local wizarding orphanage and write that Coco is allowed to attend Beaubatons? (this seems like the easiest to explain)

Second, our roleplays are written in third person past tense. Your sample reply is primarily in present tense. This will need to be fixed before we can move forward.

Third, in the sample roleplay, you wrote that a boy catches her interest because he has an elaborate hair style. Because we ask that all characters posses features found in nature, NPCs follow the same requirement. This is also a very proper boarding school and such drastic hair/clothing/eye features would likely not be allowed. Yes this is a magic world but we try to keep things fairly realistic.

Finally, you may only control your character's reactions, and in your sample roleplay you responded for Hilary. Please remember power-playing is not allowed unless you gain permission beforehand from the writer for simple things.

Your application is coming along beautifully though, and once you address these points and re-post the application to this thread, we will take another look!

-MWT

Coco Swaan

(30/04/2013 at 08:35)
    • View Profile

Application for Beauxbatons Academy

→ CHARACTER INFORMATION.
Name:
Coco Swaan

Birthday:
7th of march 1927

Hometown:
Loenen, The Netherlands

Bloodline: 
Muggleborn

Magical Strength (pick one):
Charms

Magical Weakness (pick one):
Conjuring & Summoning

Year (pick two):
6e/ 5e

Biography: 
I am Dutch. Born and raised. I have one younger brother, and though neither of my parents are wizards somehow their DNA still mixed as to create not one, but two magical children. Maybe because their personalities are so explosive. That would certainly explain the tendency of random items that go BOOM! around my brother and me when we are fighting.
We live in a small village next to the Veluwe, the oldest forest of the Netherlands. Our family doesn't really fit in, what with the villagers, who, after 10 years, still look at us as if we are New, City-People, Different. With my parents who can't live with each other any more without screaming. So when I stated showing signs of magic, I was torn between wanting to run away to France to live an adventure, a fairy tale, and feeling guilty and already homesick. I love my family. They are the most amazing people I have ever met, but I think, knowing that they wait for me at home, I can do this! Adventure, here I come!
At least, that is what I thought. Until the time-warp. Now my parents are gone, and I am left with my brother, who is two years younger than me and thus to young for School. I'll write a polite and desperate letter to ask if my brother is allowed to come with me, maybe live nearby? And if that doesn't work then I will just have to forget being a wizard and stay in the Netherlands because he is family, even if he is infuriating and annoying some times.
And whatever else happens, I will get us back to my parents! You'll see.

About my brother; Luca
I think that it would indeed be best if we lived at a nearby orphanage.  But I would want to ask if I were allowed to visit my brother every weekend, or maybe even just once a month, but more often then the holidays. Because he's only nine and we are all that we have left of our family. He only has me left in the whole world! So I hope that that is remotely possible.
Also, should I make my little brother as well on the site? If so, how do I do that?

→ ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.

Ecole Request:
Studio Arts

Communaté Preference:
Orange

Personality:
I am lazy, a slacker if I'm not interested in the subject, chaotic, forgetful and if you just met me; shy. My self-esteem isn't something to brag about, though I do just that to make it seem like not such a big deal and worth a laugh or two. At times, I am terified of disappointing people, or myself. Or worse, being Average. I'm scared of never accomplishing anything lasting, anything important. I'm scared that when I am gone, no one will remember me. My name will be forgotten. Coco Who?

On the other hand, I do have some good sides.
I am creative and interested in almost anything. And when I am interested in something, I will never forget anything I heard or read (except names and dates) after coming across it once.  My memory is funny that way. I love stories and have been addicted to fantasy-novels since I was about eight years old.
Friends have told me that I am kind and sweet, and I am not all that stupid in terms of intelligence.
I live by my own morals, never mind those of society, so I don't see a fault in some things like blood status or odd relationships or the like. I will always be honest to people on important subjects.
I can see motives of other people, their emotions, their way of seeing the world. I can not blame people for making decisions, even if they hurt me or my loved once because even then I can see where they're coming from. It also means that I like arguments for the sake of the argument itself. Because I see their point of view and I might even agree with it, so it is above all just an exercise for our minds. Some people do not agree though..

Appearance:
I have dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. It used to reach to my hips but I cut it a while back. Now it comes till a hand below my shoulders. I am short and chubby, though every time I mention that fact my friends hasten to assure me that I'm not all that overweight and that it actually suits me. I'll have to take their word for it because I can't be bothered to do anything about it. I may like to dress up nicely and take good care of myself, I will never really be vain or structured enough to take hours for daily make-up or complicated hairdo's or cosmetical magics.

→ SAMPLE ROLEPLAY.

The dining hall was a loud, calamitous thing. Students sat scattered through the vast room, speaking various languages, laughing, and simply having a gay old time. A group of students towards the front of the hall sat huddled over a pile of sheet music. Black notes melted on to the off white parchment, splaying out a secret language, only readable to those who carried the gift. Another group sat watching a tall, thin upperclassman parading around her new ballet point shoes in awe. There seemed to be a group in the hall for everyone.

Everyone except Hilary, that is. 

Poor Hilary stood soaking in the scene before her with a slight grimace on her face. Before coming to Beauxbatons, she had been overjoyed to begin studying magic, but now as she waded through her third week at the school, she felt lost in a sea of strangers. It wasn't that she was shy, no. Indeed, she even tried to reach out to some students. It was more that everyone seemed to already have their own clique, and Hilary felt so very unwelcome in all of them. 

On her plate, she fidgeted with an assortment of vegetables and a delicate pork chop. That was the nice thing about Beauxbatons. Despite the many cold-shouldered students, the food was still incredible.

With a hefty sigh, Hilary strode into the dining hall. As she did, she let her mind wander to what life at the academy might be were she royalty. The students would bow at her feet! And of course she would only ever don the most elegant of robes, decorated in sequins, rhinestones, and laced with frills. All of the girls at the school would fawn over the level of grace she exhibited. Hilary would make wonderful royalty, yes that was certain.

Though, lost in her fantasy, Hilary failed to notice the leather bag lying at the center of the walkway. Failing to notice the bag in her path, naturally caused her to trip, spilling the contents of her plate all over the student sitting just beside the bag. 

"Oh! I'm so sorry!"

….

Coco had been sitting in the middle of all those loud conversations. The year had just started and she was still very much overwhelmed. She wanted to see everything at once and since she had arived here she hadn't been able to stop gaping around for more then five minutes. Much of the voices around her went completely by over her head. Partly because she still had trouble with understanding every word of the language if she wasn't actively concentrating on it. Her head was still used to hearing Dutch.

There was a book laying next to her plate but for once, it was forgotten in favour of the amazing things she could see around her. All so very magical!
Coco was straining her neck to get a better look of some guy who was turning the empty chair next to him bright purple and hadn't yet noticed the angry look that one of the teachers was giving him, when a plate of something warm was dumped over her head.

Damn it! And she'd so hoped that it would be different here..

Coco took a short moment to wipe the shocked look of her face and plaster a decidedly annoyed looking face over it before she turned around. And was shocked immediately again, because there wasn't some idiot with a mean grin standing there, but a girl stammering “ Oh! I'm so sorry” while staring forlorn at the sauce dripping of Coco's forehead.

Maybe this was fate? Doesn't that happen in stories? Maybe she could make a new friend now. So she winced and smiled at the same time. Trying to look as nice she possible could.
“It's alight! It happens, no harm done. Look, my book is still good as new!”

Coco held up her book for the other girl to see. “As good as new” may have been a bit of a stretch since she had bought it at a second hand muggle bookshop last summer and was filled with dog-eared pages and coffee stains. Still, the actual amount of dinner sauce was very low so that was al right then.

She opened her mouth to say something else, something undoubtedly witty and interesting, possible related to the life span of the common frog. But when a drip of lukewarm sauce fell right from her nose into her mouth and she tasted the salty sweetness that was French culinary genius she thought better of it.

“I, uh, am going to clean myself up a bit before we get into trouble or something. I am Coco, by the way, what's your name? Do you want to study sometime? How do you like it here? Isn't it amazing? You are a sixth year, like me, right? Do you...”

And then she closed her mouth abruptly, realizing that what had come out of her mouth had been a lot more than what he had planned on saying.

“Well, bye!” She turned away with a red head and took of as fast as she could to the nearest bathroom, book safely under her arm  and her leather back hanging from one shoulder.
Stupid, stupid, stupid!

→ ABOUT YOU.

How did you find us?:
I typed in “magical school rpg” on google. You were the best one that I could find.

Here is all of it again with the changes you suggested.
I have put the additional information about the living arrangements of me and my brother in the biography.

Eirwen Medraut

(30/04/2013 at 10:21)
  • Secrétaire Des Admission & Conseiller
  • C17D12T13S9
    • View Profile
Hello Coco,

Your application looks great! :) I just have one small question about Coco and Luca. The time warp was a year and a half ago, where have they lived since then? In an orphanage? Foster home?

Please clarify this and repost the application in this thread, and we'll be happy to look it again. :)

As for what to do with Luca when Coco starts at Beauxbatons, it is quite likely that he could get transferred to a wizarding orphanage near Beauxbatons, and it might then be possible for Coco to get permission to visit him during term. As he is only 9, he will naturally not be allowed to start school yet, but there is also the option of them both getting adopted into another wizarding family at some point. That is all up to you! :)

- Eirwen Medraut

Tags: