Student applications are open for the 1971-72 term!

Author Topic: Neva Basilia de Alvear | Elsewhere Adult  (Read 737 times)

Neva Basilia de Alvear

(02/04/2015 at 05:06)

E L S E W H E R E   A D U L T

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Character Name: Neva Basilia Adela de Alvear
Blood Status: Pureblood

Education: 
7 years in a private Wizarding Accredited Institution for Witches in Spain (Class of 1940), followed by a year in a private finishing school.

Residence:
Her family home is in Spain, but she is undergoing arrangements to move to England. Currently visiting on a WiSA and staying at the Albear manor outside of London.

Noblewoman
Lady-of-the-house-in-training

Do you plan to have a connection to a particular existing place (for example: the Ministry, Shrieking Shack) or to take over an existing shop in need of new management?
Not at this time.

Requested Magic Levels:
  • Charms: 8
  • Divination: 11
  • Transfiguration: 7
  • Summoning: 6
Do you wish to be approved as a group with any other characters? If so who and for what IC reason?
No.

Please list any other characters you already have at the site:
Ra'asiel Albear, Asher Nicolosi-Cadwallader

Biography: (300 words minimum.)
En un abrir y cerrar de ojos... mi mundo cabió.

I was born the fourth child and first daughter of The Most Illustrious Lord Alvear, Conde de Cortina and head of the Alvear family. My three eldest brothers provided my father with an ample supply of heirs, though he has always had a reputation for being a cautious planner. It should come as no surprise, then, that I should also have two younger brothers and three younger sisters. I am one of nine children.

When I was a girl, my country was changing. Women's rights were on the lips of many, and it seemed as though things were moving toward equality between the sexes. The Second Republic accomplished more than my mother had ever expected; women were enfranchised, accorded full legal status, and laws were written into action which allowed divorce and civil marriage. It was a happy time, one of hope for the future, and one where women had equal access to the labor market.

My mother told me that it was important to pay attention to the changes in the Muggle world, for those changes often heralded changes in the Wizarding world as well - sometimes a reflection, sometimes a rejection, but always a change. She was right, of course; as Muggle women gained more rights, so too were Witches empowered in our society.

It wasn't to last, though, as my beloved España was plunged into civil war. Francisco Franco was a military man of strong conservative ideals, and the moment he managed to snatch power from the republic, changes once again occurred. The remaining Republicans were purged from the country, and it was my father's genius and neutrality which kept our family from harm. Women's rights were nearly all revoked almost immediately, and the Catholic Church's views of women were suddenly being enforced upon everyone. While we were separate from the Muggle world, it seemed like there was nowhere to hide from Franco's laws when our family had been so well known before. To disappear or to leave was to incriminate ourselves within the very world we struggled to understand as a means of influencing it for the betterment of all.

Perhaps the worst was that the change in the Wizarding world was not entirely unlike the  changes occurring outside of it; neutrality as external war threatened our mother country, and polarization internally that always had to remain private. Secret. Those who supported Franco's return to conservative life under such a dictator embraced the changes which took place openly, while those of us - particularly the Witches who had tasted the freedom to vote and to have a voice in our own lives - who dissented had to remain silent. Our voices were lost to us for fear of persecution or arrest.

This was the world in which I was raised; one of changes, shifting tides, turmoil. War. As the dust settled and we came to understand that our new leader would not be leaving us anytime soon, my only boon was being my father's first daughter. My hand in marriage would hold weight and power as a bargaining piece in his political endeavors, and this alongside my family name meant that I would be fortunate enough to receive the best schooling and training for my future. During my seven years of schooling, my father hired the best tutors  to ensure my education was a well-rounded one; what I was forbidden to learn in the Witches' academy I attended, I learned privately at home. My father, it seemed, bore sympathy to the plight of the fairer sex, and he acted on it insofar as his wife and daughters were concerned.

Finishing school was not required, but it assisted in protecting my family from additional scrutiny; after all, it was rather beneficial for my father's image that his eldest daughter would be known to be learning the ways of running a household and raising children. Having already been brought up as any proper lady should, of course, I needed only attend for a year before I mastered what was taught and returned home.

Being forbidden by law to do anything publicly which might be considered breaking away from house and home left me perhaps too much time to my own devices. I was allowed by my father to pursue additional learning on my own time, as well as a variety of hobbies. Being always interested in animal handling, I took to horseback riding and falconry for sport, as well as writing letters to those who were fighting for our rights. Occasionally, I would write about these struggles in poetry when I was not reading or else otherwise occupied, though often it was sent in letters.

I did not expect to receive the letter from Emma Albear last summer. While we had met once when I was a child, the two of us were never very well acquainted with one another. She wrote to me of the Albear Manor in London, asking if I would perhaps like to visit someday soon, but did not share why she was inviting me to visit after all these years. We exchanged a number of letters as we began to prepare, and she shared with me the details of how Albear Manor was run, which at the time seemed perhaps a little odd.

As we set to prepare for the visit, I learned too late that the poor woman had passed away over the holidays in a letter from her husband. It would seem that he has also been writing to my father, though to what end I am not entirely certain. I have my suspicions, however, after hearing of Percival Albear's five sons. I will have to visit and see what comes of it. I cannot make assumptions, however, or I shall be made a fool. If I
am correct in my guess, then por favor, querido Dios, let these men speak proper Spanish.

Roleplay: 
You come across one of these posts on the site. Please select one & reply as your character:

Option Two -
The snow had been falling steadily all morning and it didn't look like it was going to stop any time soon. Joshua Campbell scrunched his face up in a frown as he lifted his gaze to look to the sky. Snow. It really was quite a bother.

And it certainly didn't make it better that Diagon Alley seemed to be getting more and more crowded. Joshua sighed and pointed his wand at the large box that was currently placed on the doorstep of his shop. He had to get going. He had an order to deliver.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" The elderly man muttered and watched the box hover in the air for a moment. Honestly, did St. Mungo's really need that much tinsel? And with glitter of all things? He sighed again. If it hadn't been for the rather convincing stamp on the order, he would have been likely to believe it had been a prank by one of those orphaned rascals living up there. 

Oh well, there was no point in waiting. Joshua deftly stirred the box down the doorstep and out onto the street, carefully levitating it above the heads of the crowd.

"Coming through! Coming through!" His voice sounded over the chatter of the crowd. "Keep out! Move ahead! Go on!" This was going way too slow. People were in the way and walking like they had all day! He huffed. Luckily the road was down hill.

"Coming through! Coming th--- arrrgh!" Joshua let out a loud shout as his feet suddenly slipped in the snow and sent him, the box, and several long strands of tinsel tumbling into the person who had been walking in front of him.

"For Merlin's sake!" Joshua muttered angrily as he hurried to his feet again, red and gold tinsel now decorating his black coat. "I am so sorry! This blasted snow!" He looked apologetic at the person he had crashed into.

Roleplay Response:

"Coming through! Coming th--- arrrgh!"

The very last thing that Neva expected as she walked down Diagon Alley was to suddenly find herself collided into by a man and a large box of tinsel. Actually, of all of the possible things that could happen as the lady went about her holiday shopping, this didn't even make the list. She might have expected to be mugged by goblins before anything like this even crossed her mind.

"¡Ay!" the Spanish woman cried out with surprise, arms flailing out in futile effort to maintain her balance. Instead, she found herself falling onto the icy, cobbled street with an embarrassed flush. So rarely did she allow herself to be found in such an ungraceful position as this; she had been caught off guard, though.

"For Merlin's sake! I am so sorry! This blasted snow!"

Grey-green eyes flickered over to the man, looking him over as she pulled tinsel off of her fur-lined coat and put it back into the box. Who was this man? Why did he have such a large box of tinsel? Didn't he have the sense to watch where he walked? Neva was not used to this much snow, Cortina having very mild winters, but even she knew how to walk carefully.

"It is forgiven," she said, with a polite, lady-like smile, her thick Spanish accent very obvious as she worked to remember the words. English was her second language, and it was not one she was raised with. While she could be considered fluent, she was not perfect in it yet. "Accidents happen, yes? You are unharmed?"

OTHER
How did you find us? Tori~

Aries Paladin

(02/04/2015 at 08:11)
  • Undesirable No. 2, Resistance Leader, Hit Wizard, Colonel of 42nd, Former General's Aide
  • C26D14T22S20
  • [1946] Site-Wide Superlative Winner! [Winner!] HSNet 30-Day Challenge Superlative Winner - Most Charming
    • View Profile
Accepted, yo. ;)
VIVAT REX IN HOMINE
WATCH THE THRONE, DON'T STEP ON THE ROBE

Tags: