The site uses a version of the UK movie certificate 12 guidelines, modified for writing and role-playing. This is roughly equivalent to PG-13 in the USA. Under the RPG rating system, HSNet is 2-1-1. The same rules apply in main and private chat as well as on the relevant boards.
- Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.
- Moderate profanity is permitted on all sites, but should be used sparingly. Using it too much weakens its effect, and serves no useful purpose.
- Some examples of permitted profanity: heck, damn, goddamn, hell, bugger, bollocks, wanker, bullshit, git, bastard, ass-hole, arse, piss off.
- Strong profanity (for example, the F-word) is not permitted. (And will probably be blocked anyway).
- Discriminatory profanity (for example, relating to race or sexual orientation) is not permitted.
- Profanity should not be used to abuse other players OOC (including main and private chat).
- Profanity related to sexual activity, excrement, or body parts is not permitted, except for the mildest of terms (e.g. "bum").
- If a word has two or more meanings, it is the meaning that is intended in the post that applies. For example the word "bollocks" is permitted in the sense of "something untrue", but not in the literal meaning of the word.
- Drinking of alcohol (by any character) may be referred to, but should be presented discreetly and sensitively.
- Under-age drinking (in the course of an RP) is permitted only with the permission of an admin, and will likely get you in trouble IC. Please check with us before posting.
- Adults (18+) at the castle boards may refer to drinking alcohol (for example "Chantal sipped a fine white wine as she glared at Birch"), but should not drink to excess.
- The use of drugs may be referred to, but should not be glorified or give instructional detail.
- Moderate physical and psychological threat are permitted, provided disturbing sequences are not frequent, sustained, or graphic.
- Moderate violence is allowed but should not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood, but occasional gory moments may be permitted if justified by the context.
- Sexual violence may be briefly referred to, but must have a strong contextual justification.
- Abuse of minors should not be directly described or mentioned.
- Dangerous behaviour (for example, hanging, suicide, and self-harming) should not dwell on detail which could be copied, or appear pain or harm free.
- Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised.
Sex and Nudity
- Nudity is permitted, but must be in a non-sexual context, and should not be described in detail.
- Under-age sexual activity is not permitted on any board.
- Although adult characters (18+) may obviously become pregnant, references to sexual activity should be kept to a minimum at the castle boards.
- Romantic relationships between staff and students are not permitted, even if non-sexual in nature.
**The one exception to this is the Restricted Section forum on this site, which requires that one be of age in his/her country and have read and accepted the relevant disclaimer upon applying for membership.